Noisy Citroen AX 1.4d engine

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

ohms

Noisy Citroen AX 1.4d engine

Post by ohms »

Hi all,

My newly acquired AX with TUd3 lump seems to be a bit noisy. It starts fantastically first turn of the key, makes good power, excellent mpg(why I bought it) and uses no water or oil , but when it warms up starts to sound very tappety. It starts to sound like the top end of my petrol TU 106 as it gets to operating temp and then continues tapping until it's switched off and cools down again and the cycle once again continues when it's re-started.

Wax stat is operating the cold advance on the pump properly.

Any ideas? It sounds like a sewing machine, albeit a clattery diesel sewing machine when hot. #-o

Thanks in advance
91 Citroen AX 1.4D
99 BMW M Coupe
ohms

Re: Noisy Citroen AX 1.4d engine

Post by ohms »

I have just done the obvious and checked the valve clearances as it sounds awful.
On removing the belt cover I noticed a 'warranty void if removed' sticker on the head by an engine reconditioners, indicating the head has been removed and reconditioned.
The valve clearances are all as follows measured with the engine cold.

EX 0.24 IN 0.30 EX 0.22 IN 0.30 IN 0.08 EX 0.24 IN 0.30 EX 0.24

Haynes prescribes IN 0.15 and EX 0.30 so it looks to me as if the engineering firm who stripped and rebuilt the head have muddled up the exhaust from the inlet plus one of the inlets is too tight but all of the exhausts are between 0.22 and 0.24.

This work was done a couple of owners back so the guy i purchased from knew nothing about this and i did ask before buying.

I want to bring the exhaust clearances back up to 0.30mm and the inlets back down to 0.15 so what is the best way of getting the shims out to do this? I notice there is a tool. Anybody ever used before? Or best to take the camshaft out?

Thoughts and experiences as always appreciated.

91 Citroen AX 1.4D
99 BMW M Coupe