Citroen C5 Hydractive Suspension Issue

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Filberton

Re: Citroen C5 Hydractive Suspension Issue

Post by Filberton »

If it helps, I too get this on the 2008 X7 saloon (2.0 HDI) but did not get it on the 2004 Mk1. which had Hydractive 3 not 3+ It also is reduced when I set it on sport ( i.e. turning off mid-spheres) but to me it seems to be more the back than front (I think).

It only happens only on single wheel impact on humps i.e. a full width hump is fine or if one is astride a pillow on twin pillows but if I go left over pillow and right on flat there is the noise (alarming but I think it is actually audible not felt). It is also only around 15 to 25 mph. hit them this way at 10 mph or and less or 30 mph or more and all is fine.

I'm not fully familiar with the workings of the 3+ but believe there is some form of shuttle valve for fluid transfer (clever bods may know) but do wonder if it might be a valve bolted to the chassis and sounding through the bodywork.

Because we have pillows where I live I noticed it immediately when I first got the car with under 60k on the clock and it has not got worse or better with now over 110k on the clock. The only suspension caution at MOT was last year and was for softening anti-roll bar bushes but I know that sound and it is not that.

To be honest I've learnt to just live with it and if I have to hit a pillow unevenly I either boot it to get over 30 mph or slow down!

I also get a similar or same noise if I park one wheel on footpath and move off too quickly. Again slow pull off or at speed and no bang.

hope that helps the sleuths but if everyone seems to report the same and garages cannot find a fault it may be one to live with? (not that I use my citroen dealer as I decided they do not know citroens after they diagnosed I'd run out of Eolys on the Mk1 but then could not find the tank (it doesn't have dpf so didn't have an Eolys tank! (it was actually MAF that I then diagnosed myself). When they couldn't find the bonnet catch or battery nor do a BSI reset I gave up. [all the gear - no idea as they say.)
Current: C5 X7 Exclusive 2.0 HDI Manual (2008)
C3 Puretech 1.2 Feel (2017)

Previous: Citroen C5 mk1 2.0 HDI,
Peugeots 407, 406, 406,205,309, 306 Meridian, 306 L, Peugeot 207L 1.4 manual (2003)
Deano24v

Post by Deano24v »

did you ever get a resolution for this? my 2008 Tourer displays exactly the same symptoms. a very large bang on the down slope of certain speed bump sbut never on the up.
-2008 Exlusive 2.2 HDi 173 Tourer-
HeLLmiX
My Cars:

Post by HeLLmiX »

Mine do the same. I am wondeting that this is typical for this type of suspention... :)
<< Xsara Picasso 2000 2.0HDI 66kW [Chiptuning ~ 80kW]
<< C5 2008 2.2HDI 125kW
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: Xantia V6 ACTIVA 3ltr 24v Manual p1
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Post by Stickyfinger »

No it is not normal at all.

Most likely drop links.
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
3x C5x7 Steering racks and counting
urzica
My Cars: Citroen C5 2HDI 2007

Post by urzica »

After hitting the bump the front of the car is on the way up and the struts extends at the full lenght and here is the noise, mine same problem.