C5 4HP20

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Re: C5 4HP20

Post by myglaren »

In the first place I wouldn't go near the box with a pressure washer. There are reports on the forum of water entering through breather ports and ruining the boxes.

I'd also be very wary of the XLD FE - Specification (translated)).

It looks as though LT 71141 is available in Serbia, if I haven't got it completely wrong Mobil Delvac (also translated)

Then I remembered you are in Montenegro that doesn't seem to offer the same options.

There are quite a number of eBay listings that could be worth exploring.
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

UK based opie oils http://www.opieoils.co.uk also specifically list shipping to Montenegro, although shipping for 8Kg is about £66. :shock: Still might be cheaper than a 20 litre drum bought locally when you only need about 8-9 litres to fill a box.
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

pavlebo wrote: Is it possibile to remove old oil from TC?
With great difficulty :twisted: I once tried draining one by pacing it neck-down and left it dripping like that for days and days. Still there was a fair amount of oil left in it.

So in reality, no, you can't, Not completely.

I shall be interested to see the result of taking the old gearbox apart...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

How much oil would you recommend buying to refill an overhauled box and still have a bit left over Jim ? 8 litres ?
Simon

1978 CX 2400
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Mandrake wrote:How much oil would you recommend buying to refill an overhauled box and still have a bit left over Jim ? 8 litres ?
Nine to be on the safe side Simon. 8 is a bit marginal as the stated capacity of a dry 'box and TC is 8.8 litres.

Pre-fill them too. It's so much easier to fill them through the speedo drive than it is through the breather hole!
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Peterdb
My Cars:

Post by Peterdb »

with all respect to the above.
We had a similair problem here with the C5 of my son with the same aut gearbox.
After some meters the car stopped, engine still running but no movement.
Guess what, ........ there was not enough OIL in the gearbox and we filled it up with the procedure known from Citroen and voila, all ok and the car is still running as before. Means check oil first inside the gearbox before doing anything and don't go in panic.
having a good day,
best regards,
Peter den Breejen.
C5 Break 2,0 Hdif (DW 10BTED4 FAB) Aut (ATM AM6B) Ligne PR, 2007, Organummer: 10655 CJ, KM: 410.000, gris aluminium
previous cars: citroen 2CV, Simca 1100 TI, CX 2000, CX Pallas, XM, C5 and as hobby Nissan Patrol.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Peterdb wrote: Guess what, ........ there was not enough OIL in the gearbox and we filled it up with the procedure known from Citroen and voila, all ok and the car is still running as before.
Gosh :shock: You were lucky Peter. Normally if a 4HP20 runs that low on oil it kills it, or at least kills its bearings...
Jim

Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

And the question must be - why did it run so low on oil in the first place ?

They don't use any oil unless there is a leak somewhere like the banjo joint, and a leak won't fix itself...
Simon

1978 CX 2400
Peterdb
My Cars:

Post by Peterdb »

right, well we did found out that the control prop under the gearbox was leaking, he (my son) never told me that there was some oil on the road sometimes!!! But if the part (converter) between the engine and gearbox doesn't have sufficient oil to move the gearbox components it will run a little and then when it has put the oil into the gearbox for further action but don't have enough oil to "play" with the effect is there, no running car!!
Also overnight with no running engine the oil will come " in rest" so called and will fill this part (converter) but not sufficient.
After this event happen my son did until now drive 35000 km so call it lucky that no further damage happened that time.
What I'm asking myself is : how much oil came out of this gearbox what was dismantled now? I suppose he drained the oil from it before opening the box.
The total of oil inside is ca 4 ltr min as I remember it well.
Sorry if my english is not correct but being a Dutchman, the english is not my mother language.
having a good day,
best regards,
Peter den Breejen.
C5 Break 2,0 Hdif (DW 10BTED4 FAB) Aut (ATM AM6B) Ligne PR, 2007, Organummer: 10655 CJ, KM: 410.000, gris aluminium
previous cars: citroen 2CV, Simca 1100 TI, CX 2000, CX Pallas, XM, C5 and as hobby Nissan Patrol.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

No worries about your English peter, it is fine :-D Much better than our Dutch that's for sure :lol:

So the gearbox was not totally empty then, just very low... That does help to explain it and that it would drive when cold after a rest and then stop makes perfect sense.

I am aware of a 4HP20 that developed a leak on the Banjo unions that seal the external pipe from the top to the side of the gearbox. It is high-pressure oil here the leak was enough to empty the box in about 200Km and kill it.
Jim

Ben82
My Cars: C5 V6 2004

Post by Ben82 »

missed off that there was a 3rd page :roll:
One of the companies that quite a few people on this site use, ship to pretty much anywhere:
http://www.opieoils.co.uk/t-carriage.aspx#International" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
And here is the ATF: http://www.opieoils.co.uk/p-69401-mobil ... fluid.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If you can wait a while opie do 15% off deals around the end/beginning of each month, or you can try leaving the site on the "register" screen, and it'll offer you 15% off if you leave them some feedback.

It might be expensive to ship, but if rates over there are anything like here in Sweden, it's cheaper to get it delivered from the UK than to buy it locally.

It might be worth popping these guys a message too: https://oeldepot24.de/lieferung/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; they might be able to ship to you too. They do the 20l barrels (they have 1 in stock currently).
2004 Citroen C5 3L V6 Auto
Brit living in Sweden with an imported from Germany French Car!
pavlebo
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: Citroen C5MKI, C5 MK2 and C4 Picasso B78

Post by pavlebo »

Gearbox is inside car. Connected on Lexia. Do I need to pair something in ECU, serial or similar?

Sent from my GT-N8000 using Tapatalk HD
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

pavlebo wrote:Gearbox is inside car. Connected on Lexia. Do I need to pair something in ECU, serial or similar?
No, you just need to reinitialise the auto-adaptives from the Lexia After-Sales menu. The option is not available in the Diagnostics menu...
Jim

Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

Was just trying to post that Jim when my browser crashed and lost my post so you beat me to it... :lol:

The auto adaptive reset is actually in the "Replacement Parts" section on the Lexia. After doing that the car needs to be taken for a moderately brisk test drive for about 10 minutes where all the gears are used and the gears are changed frequently.
Simon

1978 CX 2400
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Yes, I thought when I was posting it that After-Sales wasn't quite right Simon so thanks for making it right :-D

Main thing is you won't find it in Diagnostics...
Jim