Waxstat

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

terryinfrance
My Cars:

Waxstat

Post by terryinfrance »

Now that its getting cold here in France and even the Brass Monkeys are having difficulty in the early morning I feel my cold start prob requires a little help.
I have diagnosed a malfuntion of the waxstat,although past mal adjustment may be to blame.
On first startup it hiccups a bit then settles in to a normal tickover.
On investigating the lever on the pump it had no visible movement with the arm locked in position by the two adjusters.
This indicated a possible previous prob.
Suspecting a poss faulty stat I slackened the lever stop ,pulley end.reduced the screw setting by three turns and bingo,perfect start with fast idle.
The tickover speed however failed to restore to the normal warm of 900 rpm approx.
It was however very cold this morning and could be I didnt give it enough time.
My question therfore is at what temp should the waxstat restore the lever to its hot position.
This would normally not be too much of a prob except for the fact the car is an auto and too high a tickover for too long causes heat in drive when stationery and neccesitates moving to neutral with subsequent clunks when putting back in drive
terryinfrance
My Cars:

Post by terryinfrance »

Sorry guys,forgot to mention,ZX 1.9 diesel in case you hadnt guessed.
Cheers.Terry
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Don't know what exact temperature the waxstat is operating on - but suspect it's close to the cooling thermostat - i.e. some 70-80degC.
Obviously the idle tickover should return to normal when the waxstat feels hot by hand. If this does not happen - the waxstat is not that expensive really [;)]
(approx UK£25)
terryinfrance
My Cars:

Post by terryinfrance »

Cheers Anders,
All is well now,cable was adjusted wrong causing lack of movement.Re adjusted,fast idles and when up to normal stat temp, restores lever to stop position with normal tickover