Thinking about buying a C5 - good bad points please

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

fotobright

Thinking about buying a C5 - good bad points please

Post by fotobright »

Hi,
I'm currently on my 4th Citroen, an xsara hdi estate 90bhp. Its done well, nippy and frugal but its not a comfort to drive. It replaced an xud xantia which was excellent as we all know. Anyway so i'd like to replace the xsara with a C5 estate, which I take is has Hydropneumatic suspension and just looking for some advice about the good bad points of C5s.
Cheers
Peugoet 207 SW Hdi 1.6 live*
C5 2.2L HDi 16v estate (01)
Xsara Hdi 90 estate
Xantia 1.9TD estate, (veg oil)
Zx 1.9TD hatchback
Zx 1.9D hatchback
DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy
My Cars:

Re: Thinking about buying a C5 - good bad points please

Post by DickieG »

What version of C5 are you thinking about, the current shape (X7) or the previous one?
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

fotobright wrote:Hi,
I'm currently on my 4th Citroen, an xsara hdi estate 90bhp. Its done well, nippy and frugal but its not a comfort to drive. It replaced an xud xantia which was excellent as we all know. Anyway so i'd like to replace the xsara with a C5 estate, which I take is has Hydropneumatic suspension and just looking for some advice about the good bad points of C5s.
Cheers
Which C5/what year?
fotobright

Post by fotobright »

I'd want a diesel estate, manual gears. I see if I get a 1.6 hdi around 2005 the road tax drops quite a bit but the price might determine a few details too. So basically a diesel upt to an 2005-2006 model
Xsara Hdi 90 estate
Zx 1.9TD hatchback
Zx 1.9D hatchback
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

Be aware that there are quite a few horror stories around the 1.6HDi, due to oil flow issues.

http://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/v ... =3&t=42948" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/v ... =3&t=46915" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

fotobright wrote:I'd want a diesel estate, manual gears. I see if I get a 1.6 hdi around 2005 the road tax drops quite a bit but the price might determine a few details too. So basically a diesel upt to an 2005-2006 model
I think most advice would be to go for the 2.08V, or the 2.016V if a later shape one, avoid the MK1 2.2 diesels. The 1.6HDi can have issues with oil pickup and the turbo suffering because of it.

When viewing, make sure *everything* works. Make a checklist of it all - heater/climate - make sure the temperature changes on both sides, if dual zone, make sure all the functions on the stalks work - wipers, radio, lights, horn, stereo controls. Make sure all the electric windows work. Make sure all the gauges work properly. Make sure the central locking works and doesn't do any weird stuff like open the boot (literally!) every time you unlock the doors It sounds obvious really, but these are the items that are common failures and reasonably expensive to repair.

Suspension - if it goes up and down properly,drives properly, doesn't leak or clonk from the rear axle (worn arm bearings) it's probably ok.

It would be lovely to get a Lexia diagnostic reading of any C5 before you bought it...
fotobright

Post by fotobright »

To go through an electrical checklist is a sound idea, espec from previous experience. Some of the heater matrix stuff as we know is not worth the time to fix. I can put a diag laptop on the car, not sure if its the lexia. Good idea there. If the dia can pick up an issue with a 1.6HDi oil pickup issue that would be useful otherwise happy to go with a 2litre.
Xsara Hdi 90 estate
Zx 1.9TD hatchback
Zx 1.9D hatchback
Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

fotobright wrote:To go through an electrical checklist is a sound idea, espec from previous experience. Some of the heater matrix stuff as we know is not worth the time to fix. I can put a diag laptop on the car, not sure if its the lexia. Good idea there. If the dia can pick up an issue with a 1.6HDi oil pickup issue that would be useful otherwise happy to go with a 2litre.
You really need a Lexia to tell you exactly what's wrong. Sadly it won't report on the oil pickup issue...
fotobright

Post by fotobright »

Am I right in thinking that only the Exclusive model of the C5 had hydropneumatic suspension?
Xsara Hdi 90 estate
Zx 1.9TD hatchback
Zx 1.9D hatchback
Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

I think that only applies after 2008..
Last edited by Northern_Mike on 05 Aug 2014, 21:17, edited 1 time in total.
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

No they all had hydropnumatic up until about 2008 but the 2.2 Hdi also has hydractive but I would avoid that one unless fuel costs are not relavant, I had one and couldn't get much more than 40 mpg from it and I drive very carefully, in contrast the 2.0. Hdi can do 60 mpg or more, depending of course on how its driven.

If you get the 8 valve engine, made until about 04 they are almost bomb proof, mine has done nearly 200k and is still mostly original including clutch and DMF, I have a 406 with the same engine on 226k miles and still runs perfectly. They have no DPF so that's one thing that can't go wrong.

One fault they can suffer from which I don't think has been mentioned is failure of the rear radius arm bearings, this is evidenced by a creaking noise when the suspension goes up and down and in extreme cases the rear wheels leaning inwards at the top. I have replaced mine, not difficult providing everything comes undone but very time consuming.

Most engine problems if you are unlucky enough to have them are caused by a faulty MAF sensor - very low power at low speeds, and the pressure regulator on the HP diesel pump - difficult starting, rev limiting etc, this regulator is easily replaced although removing the filter in it will usually effect a cure.

I think most other faults have been covered. The 2.0. Hdi is comparatively easy to work on too, I don't think you will be disappointed. A half decent one can be bought on ebay for £500-700.

Peter

Just thought of something else, if its an estate you are looking for which is the best one in my opinion, the tailgate struts fail in them and it won't stay open in cold weather - unfortunately they nearly all seem to be like that and you have to take the headlining out to replace them - if you can get them.
Last edited by Peter.N. on 05 Aug 2014, 20:11, edited 1 time in total.
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

Sorry Mike, you obviously type faster then me.
fotobright

Post by fotobright »

Ah right thanks, so after 08 its just the Exclusive that is hydro. My hdi xsara estate is ok but the ride is terrible and I want that sofa effect back.

We just ran the Lexia on the xsara cos its been suddenly been hunting at low revs, feels like it wants to stall pulling up to junctions, which is not satisfactory! Cant put our finger directly on what the problem is but it likely a sticking pressure reg, HP rail sensor or MAF.

Getting back to the C5....

I just saw a 2003 2L C5 Exclusive for sale, an estate with 10month MOT but 300,000 miles on clock. I've just made the guy an offer on the basis it could/should do me a few long distance jobs but its not ideal at that mileage. However should it not require a DMF and a timingbelt and all the high pressure pipework done it might be ok but only at a cheap price.
Xsara Hdi 90 estate
Zx 1.9TD hatchback
Zx 1.9D hatchback
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

Just a thought. How many C5s have you seen being used as taxis? Lots, which says something. The HDi engine, when properly maintained, last for astronomical mileage.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

fotobright wrote: I just saw a 2003 2L C5 Exclusive for sale, an estate with 10month MOT but 300,000 miles on clock.
Is it a red one? I think that car has been discussed somewhere on here recently..