Cold air intake/air filter

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

xantiagreen
My Cars:

Cold air intake/air filter

Post by xantiagreen »

This is the cars 2nd service and I was thinking of replacing the standard air filter with either a K&N panel filter or cold air intake kit cone filter again K&N.
Has anyone used any particular filter or setup that has shown good gains on mpg/acceleration. I'm after prolonging the life of the engine and my thinking is cleaner air and more of it will help the engine/turbo or am I being daft.

Cheers
Faz

90 Ax 1.0 Red
90 Bx 1.7 TZD Green
92 Bx Gti BRG
90 Bx 16v Cream
96 Xantia 2lt 16v Sx Olive green
01 Xantia 110 Hdi
Storm Grey (SOLD 4/11/18)

Temporarily driving Polo 1.9sdi

All I want is a Bx Gti or 16v!
Northern_Mike

Re: Cold air intake/air filter

Post by Northern_Mike »

xantiagreen wrote:This is the cars 2nd service and I was thinking of replacing the standard air filter with either a K&N panel filter or cold air intake kit cone filter again K&N.
Has anyone used any particular filter or setup that has shown good gains on mpg/acceleration. I'm after prolonging the life of the engine and my thinking is cleaner air and more of it will help the engine/turbo or am I being daft.

Cheers
If the rest of the engine and intake is standard, it won't make any difference at all.
Old-Guy
My Cars: 2011 Grand C4 Picasso VTR+ 1.6HDi in Kyanos Blue
1995 Xantia Estate SX 1.9TD in Vert Vega "The Green Lady" - now owned by XanTom
1998 Xantia 2.1 VXD Estate in Mauritius Blue - R.I.P. (terminal tin-worm)

Re: Cold air intake/air filter

Post by Old-Guy »

This being a turbo-diesel, the only air mass flow factor that you can easily affect is intercooler efficiency - i.e. how effective is the intercooler in reducing the temperature of the (compressed) air. With time and miles, the intercooler can get surprisingly bunged up with dead insects, leaves etc.

If you decide to try to pressure-wash the three 'radiators' (cooling system, a/c condenser, inter-cooler in that order from engine bay outwards), do not use any additive that is in the least caustic or the light-alloy components will rapidly corrode. Some radiators are thin light-alloy which can be destroyed amazingly quickly by commercial-type (caustic) Traffic Film Removers and the like.
2011 Grand C4 Picasso VTR+ 1.6HDi in Kyanos Blue
1995 Xantia Estate SX 1.9TD in Vert Vega "The Green Lady" - after 11 years now owned by XanTom
1998 Xantia 2.1 VXD Estate in Mauritius Blue - R.I.P. (terminal tin-worm)