2.0hdi cooling fan - simple question...

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Element
My Cars: 2004 Partner 2.0 Hdi

Marlin Roadster 2.0 TC

2.0hdi cooling fan - simple question...

Post by Element »

I have a Citroen Berlingo, 2.0hdi, 2005 model. last week made a long trip south into searing 30*C temperatures in Manchester with stop start traffic jams... the water temp was going up and up without the fan turning on... Had to open windows & switch heater on full with the vents set out the windows to keep the car ok...
I know there are fuses, relays, switches, thermostat etc to check - but the simplest check of all is the fan itself - with the engine off, I put a long screwdriver through the bumper grill to the fan blades and try to move them - they don't move at all. I have noticed on all previous cars that the fan will spin if the same action is done - except one old Renault a long time back - it had a seized fan motor. Am I right to deduce this one is seized too because I can't move the blades manually like this?
Peugeot Partner, 2.0 Hdi, 2004
Perthshire
citroenxm
My Cars: M reg Xm S2 2.1td Auto Exclusive. 269k and rising
L reg XM S1 V6 12v Manual SEi
L 94 XM 2.1 TD auto total resto

2008 Peugeot 207 Sw 1.6 16v hdi. 217k and rising
2010 Peugeot 207 SW 1.6 8v HDi 161k and rising

Re: 2.0hdi cooling fan - simple question...

Post by citroenxm »

YES element.. Deafenatly! Time for a replacment...
Sharing a pug 207 1.6 hdi Sw 16v.
M reg Xm 2.1 td auto exclusive S2 269k and rising
L reg XM V6 12v SEi auto .. Light project

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
sparksie
(Donor 2016)
My Cars:

Post by sparksie »

citroenxm wrote:YES element.. Deafenatly! Time for a replacment...
But on your Citroen, you probably have a blown fuse. The Renault was lucky if it didn't go up in smoke... Lots of them did, when their fans seized.
Sparksie

2000 Xantia 1.9TurboD
Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

No, it won't be a blown fuse. It'll be the motor seized. I believe the ECU just gives up trying to turn it.. see if a member with a lexia is near you, it's easy enough to plug one in and test the fans on a Berlingo.

Enviado desde mi GT-I9505 usando Tapatalk
Element
My Cars: 2004 Partner 2.0 Hdi

Marlin Roadster 2.0 TC

Post by Element »

Yep, I thought as much, I'll have to find a working (spinning) one from a scrappy; but its not so hot up here in Perthshire, so I'm not in any hurry!
Peugeot Partner, 2.0 Hdi, 2004
Perthshire
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

Element wrote: but its not so hot up here in Perthshire, so I'm not in any hurry!
never the less i would fix it ASAP, as the fan must work when you are sitting in traffic whilst the engine is up to temperature,

every time it dosent you are risking blowing the head gasket, regardless of extreme ambient temperature
Regards, malcolm.

current ride a BX 1.7 TZD estate
1986 MK1 BX 1.9na D Auto(in Mothman Andy's stable )
layed up roppy 1.9TD XANT estate, now gone to meet her maker
purple and lilac metalic 2CV(VIOLET)registered to her in doors
1972 DS special been layed up aprox 31 years
qprdude
My Cars: Renault 5 TS, Renault 14ts, Citroen C5 Mk1, Renault Clio sport, Renault Laguna Privilege. Citroen C5 X7 Exclusive. Citroen DS5 D/sport . And around 25+ other brands from Morris Oxford to S Type jag and most things between.

Post by qprdude »

Think Sparksie means the fuse will have blown to protect the motor or wiring from burning (maybe)
Rick.

2013 Citroen DS 5 D/Sport
2007 Renault Clio Campus sport. 1.2l

Sometimes the change doesn't work.
Northern_Mike

Re: Re: 2.0hdi cooling fan - simple question...

Post by Northern_Mike »

sparksie wrote:The Renault was lucky if it didn't go up in smoke... Lots of them did, when their fans seized.
Lots of them did whether the fans seized or not. I've been closely involved with 5 of them that all caught fire! (I never worked on any of them).

I'm just a grumpy Northern git.
dnsey

Post by dnsey »

It's surprising how efficient these HDIs are: I only realised that my fan was seized several months into ownership in a long traffic jam on a blazing hot day. Once allowed to cool, it got me home with the temp gauge well within the normal range, despite the traffic only moving slowly.
I was able to dismantle and free the fan, but the onboard ECU had a blown transistor, and was impossible to re-assemble by hand. I wired a temporary manual switch direct to the motor for a few weeks while sourcing a new fan, but never needed to use it.
sparksie
(Donor 2016)
My Cars:

Post by sparksie »

qprdude wrote:Think Sparksie means the fuse will have blown to protect the motor or wiring from burning (maybe)
Correct, but if Mike's right, they still don't bother with the cheap and simple fuse, relying instead on some sort of current limiting feature in the ECU.
Seems daft, tbh, as a blown fuse will always test as an open circuit, which will be noticed by the ECU and flag up a fault.
A stuck motor will usually pass a diagnostic check, whether it looks for continuity, or (slightly better) resistance, as it will be seen as a stationary motor and that's what is expected!
Sparksie

2000 Xantia 1.9TurboD
dnsey

Post by dnsey »

IME, the current limiting amounts to output devices which destroy themselves when asked to work too hard!
Northern_Mike

Re: Re: 2.0hdi cooling fan - simple question...

Post by Northern_Mike »

sparksie wrote: A stuck motor will usually pass a diagnostic check, whether it looks for continuity, or (slightly better) resistance, as it will be seen as a stationary motor and that's what is expected!
It won't pass a Lexia check.
sparksie
(Donor 2016)
My Cars:

Post by sparksie »

Granted, a Lexia check will fail, because it includes spinning the fan up. The car's own ecu won't do that, until it needs the fan in anger.
Then it's too late, though.
How many owners are going to check their cooling fans, using a Lexia session, when there's no apparent fault?
I know I wouldn't, especially if I was having to pay for the session!
Sparksie

2000 Xantia 1.9TurboD