Xantia aircon

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

citroenxm
My Cars: M reg Xm S2 2.1td Auto Exclusive. 269k and rising
L reg XM S1 V6 12v Manual SEi
L 94 XM 2.1 TD auto total resto

2008 Peugeot 207 Sw 1.6 16v hdi. 217k and rising
2010 Peugeot 207 SW 1.6 8v HDi 161k and rising

Re: Xantia aircon

Post by citroenxm »

Which part of Wales Juliette? North or South? Theres a BIG difference!
Sharing a pug 207 1.6 hdi Sw 16v.
M reg Xm 2.1 td auto exclusive S2 269k and rising
L reg XM V6 12v SEi auto .. Light project

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
Xantia97
My Cars:

Post by Xantia97 »

Rhymney in the South Wales valleys. Yes there is a big difference, the folk from North Wales won't speak to those from South Wales, but those of us from South Wales have the Cardiff Arms Park - I refuse to think of it as the Millenium Stadium :lol: been ever so slightly tipsy at too many rugby internationals in my youth 8-)
1997 Xantia 1.9TD LX (owned for 14 years) - Snoopy

Gone but always remembered
GS Pallas
GSA X1
AX - bad mistake!
ZX 1.9D
3 x Opel Manta
Xantia97
My Cars:

Post by Xantia97 »

I've been 'off the road' for a couple of months due to ill-health so am only now getting back into this :lol:

So I've been well and truly stuffed by the French :twisted:
Took the car to have a leak check at the French equivalent of halfords, leak in dryer and 'only' the dryer - I did ask specifically.
Changed the dryer and switch and took it to my local Peugeot garage to be vacuumed down, re-gassed, leak tested. Well surprise, surprise there was now a leak in the condenser, and 'only' the condenser - you can see where this is going, can't you!!
So got the garage to change the condenser, re-gas and leak test. Passed all tests.
2 days later no cold air, back to garage who leak tested it and SURPRISE, SURPRISE there is a leak on the compressor :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
We asked for a quote for a new compressor but four weeks on the garage is 'too busy' to give us a quote!!!!!!!!!!!! We are now 600 euros out of pocket with a new dryer (which I suspect will now have to be replaced again) and condenser, both of which will be a waste of money if we don't get the system working. The garage won't take any responsibility for missing the leak on the compressor, had we known there was a leak on both the condenser and compressor we would have left well alone and not bothered with the ac - only want it to take the animals to the vet when it's hot since it's an hour journey each way.

So how difficult/possible is it to change the compressor ourselves, I am guessing there is no gas in the system now? Any suggestions of other ways to keep the cost down, recon units don't appear to be available in France and I know that a second-hand unit is a risk if you don't know it's history and whether it came off a working ac system.

Juliet

GS Pallas
GSA X1
AX - bad mistake!
ZX 1.9D
3 x Opel Manta
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

I hope that DickieG catches up on this post. He re-gassed Gracie for me a few months ago, and, using U/V equipment, checked for any signs of leaks (where we could get to, that is).

I would suggest you look at the compressor for a make and model number, as there are several possible options (well, at least 2) as to what Snoopy would have. If you cannot find that info post up the last 8 digits of the VIN, so somebody with access to the Citroen service website can look up what Snoopy had when he (she?) left the factory wearing.

If the garage categorically stated (and you can prove it) that it was only the drier at fault you might have a case of negligence, but I have to admit that it can be difficult to track down multiple leaks without plugging each one as they are found.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
Xantia97
My Cars:

Post by Xantia97 »

Hi James,
I use Service Citroen and have got the following info for my vin number.

No mention of ac under characteristics.
Under Job/Electrical it lists both Sanden Int. and Delphi France compressors, I assume it will be a Sanden without looking in the car.

Snoopy is a 'she', also known as Snoop-dog :lol:

I can't 'prove' anything, no paperwork showing test results. She's had three leak tests by two garages and I'm up the creek without a paddle :evil:

Just in case I missed something on Service Citroen the last 8 digits of the vin are 038E0555. :)

Juliet

GS Pallas
GSA X1
AX - bad mistake!
ZX 1.9D
3 x Opel Manta
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

Well, I just took a look on my copy of Citroen backup, and found 6 options of a/c compressor for diesel engine Xantia (I was looking at a series 2 option). I don't have access to the Service website, but it shouldn't take too long for somebody to look it up for you. If you can find the RPO number it might also help.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
citroenxm
My Cars: M reg Xm S2 2.1td Auto Exclusive. 269k and rising
L reg XM S1 V6 12v Manual SEi
L 94 XM 2.1 TD auto total resto

2008 Peugeot 207 Sw 1.6 16v hdi. 217k and rising
2010 Peugeot 207 SW 1.6 8v HDi 161k and rising

Post by citroenxm »

1997 mk.1 compressors are different to series two.. if its a factory fitted setup the pipes connecting to the compressor will have two seperate connections simmilar to an Older R12 setup.. and the compressor body is a single size body.. by that the centre seal sits between the two halfs.. where as s2 compressors over lap each other.. these earlyer compressors rarely leak from my experiance.. but alas not interchangeable. .

its useually condensers that give or seals in the system..
Sharing a pug 207 1.6 hdi Sw 16v.
M reg Xm 2.1 td auto exclusive S2 269k and rising
L reg XM V6 12v SEi auto .. Light project

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

I am NOT suggesting you get this (as you probably wouldn't use it much), but this is like the kit DickieG used to look for leaks on Gracie;

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/A-C-Fluid-Gas ... 23017b892d" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Xantia97
My Cars:

Post by Xantia97 »

Hi all,
RPO number is 07484.

The unit is factory fitted.
citroenxm wrote:these earlyer compressors rarely leak from my experiance.. but alas not interchangeable
What do you mean by 'not interchangeable'?
Could it just be the seals have perished and can they be replaced? Could this be why the garage is not keen to quote for the job? All suggestions very gratefully received :)

I've got a black light, although it's not very bright it does show mouse urine - don't ask :roll: :lol: so I suppose we could possibly still see where the leak is? Mind you, now that I know you can use a black light to detect precious stones perhaps I should start mining in the garden, if I find something it could pay for a new compressor :lol:

Juliet

GS Pallas
GSA X1
AX - bad mistake!
ZX 1.9D
3 x Opel Manta
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

Interchangeable between series 1 and 2 Xantia. Some parts are, but not all.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Xantia97
My Cars:

Post by Xantia97 »

Hell Razor5543 wrote:Interchangeable between series 1 and 2 Xantia. Some parts are, but not all.
Just realised that after I'd hit the submit button #-o

GS Pallas
GSA X1
AX - bad mistake!
ZX 1.9D
3 x Opel Manta
Xantia97
My Cars:

Post by Xantia97 »

Managed to get a quote from the local Peugeot garage this afternoon for a new compressor and dryer, 611.51 euros (about £480), includes 3 hours labour to fit the compressor. :cry:
I don't really want to pay that much without a 100% guarantee that nothing else will go wrong, so what else can leak?
Do you guys think I should stop now and write the cost of the condenser off to experience and accept I'll have no ac?
Any other ideas?
Juliet

GS Pallas
GSA X1
AX - bad mistake!
ZX 1.9D
3 x Opel Manta
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

If they are new or service exchange (ie, reconditioned) parts, it's a decent price. For a used compressor with minimal warranty, it's too much.

Compressors are mostly similar, the "cylinder head" will vary and can often be interchanged by a repairer, the driving pulley can vary in diameter and offset but with the correct tools is able to be swapped or removed. The basic form of many PSA compressors is SD7V16.

Compressors fail from lack of regular use and damage to the seal or running surface (corrosion due to damp weather and salt, for example).

A proper AC service will see the oil quantity approximately checked, a new TX fitted, new drier, UV trace dye and an hour or more vacuum down before charging.
Xantia97
My Cars:

Post by Xantia97 »

Hi Addo,
The parts are new, the compressor is 295 euros (£230). My fear is that if I get this done, where will the next leak be, the car has actually had four leak tests so far, the first three showed no signs of a leak in the compressor.

GS Pallas
GSA X1
AX - bad mistake!
ZX 1.9D
3 x Opel Manta
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

Many "leak tests" involve applying a vacuum - not maximum pressure.

For peace of mined I had my hoses remade, with new flex portions spliced into the original aluminium hard lines. At twelve years of age they were past their best.