Lucas Epic Timing Module

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

bddeazeley
My Cars:

Lucas Epic Timing Module

Post by bddeazeley »

Hi Folks,

Has anyone ever changed the electronic module/sensor fitted to the Lucas Epic pump and if so is there any setting up or programming of the new module after it being fitted. Hopefully it is a straight swap. Also if you have replaced the module what were the symptoms or reason you had to change it. My symptoms include an intermittent diesel knock, rough running and sometimes smokey. A Lexia session on my Xantia 2.1TD found that the diesel thermistor and cam sensors 1 and 2 were faulty. I suspect these sensors are contained within this module which is very expensive. I have attached photos of a similar sensor. Image

Thanks,
Brian
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Re: Lucas Epic Timing Module

Post by CitroJim »

That is interesting. I always thought that bit of an EPIC was a solenoid and never realised it contained electronics. I've been wondering where the sensors you mention are and now I think we know. Excellent :-D

So no, never swapped anything but that module complete should be swappable from any donor pump.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
bddeazeley
My Cars:

Post by bddeazeley »

Hi Jim I am still trawling through the web looking for info and I have turned up several foreign websites that appear to stock this part unfortunately the lowest price I have found is 350 euros .. ouch! I have been unable to find anything about this module on UK websites or anything at all about replacing it. There appears to be more than one version of the sensor (different part numbers) to suit various Lucas Epic pump numbers but I am wondering if the difference is the info that is programmed into the module to suit different car manufacturers specification/mapping. For the Epic pump type on my Xantia (8640A102A) the Delphi part number appears to be 9160-031 I am still suspicious that more than one sensor on my Xantia 2.1 has faulted at the same time and a dry joint on a common connection to sensors within this module is possible. It is a double sided pcb and I know from experience that feed through connections from the print on one side of the pcb to the other side are always suspect. Hey Ho onwards we go lol.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Might be worth running a soldering iron across it. Nothing to loose...

I'm following this with great interest. Any new information on the EPIC will be incredibly valuable.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
bddeazeley
My Cars:

Post by bddeazeley »

The first pcb solder connections that would be worth checking are what appear to be 2 earthing/mounting pins for the pcb within the metal casing. You can see the 2 pins on the photograph of the inside of the metal casing in the second photograph. These 2 pins go through the corresponding holes on the pcb and are soldered on both sides of the pcb. The pins will be earthed to the car bodywork (-ve) and if dry joint there will be no earth (or at least a high resistance) to that part of the circuit within the sensor/timing module. As you say Jim a donor pump appears to be the order of the day. I wonder if there is a seal between the module casing and the pump body. #-o
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

bddeazeley wrote:I wonder if there is a seal between the module casing and the pump body. #-o
I believe there's a square O ring. I can confirm on Wednesday on a scrap EPIC here..
Jim

Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

A square ring? :-D

You don't half pick yourself some jobs Jim.

Peter
kenhall1202
My Cars: '05 C4 2.0HDI Exclusive
'07 Lexus RX400h
Past:
'73 GS 1220 Club Estate (a good intro to hydraulics and rust)
'74 DS D Super 5 (Superb comfort and even more rust)
'?? Dyane (fun + rust)
'?? CX 2400 GTI (served me well)
'89 CX Safari 2.5 DTR turbo (aka "the hearse" an excellent family load lugger)
'97 XM 2.1TD (Reliable and economical)

Post by kenhall1202 »

I have never come across reports of this fault before.
The advance sensor is mounted to the Epic pump body with an O ring and spacer adjustment shims + a spring.
IIRC this sensor is 'potted' in resin which may make access to the PCB difficult.
I would try to source a second hand pump from a PSA 2.1TD engine for bits or as a direct swap.

According to the Delphi workshop manual, adjustment/checking of the advance correction requires an AVM diesel test bench + PC with Delphi software + Delphi special tool so not really a DIY proposition.
Ken Hall
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

Peter.N. wrote:A square ring? :-D

Peter
I fink 'e means a skware section 'O' ring! Like the ones used on the sferes!
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

Ah right, sorry. :oops:
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Hell Razor5543 wrote:
Peter.N. wrote:A square ring? :-D

Peter
I fink 'e means a skware section 'O' ring! Like the ones used on the sferes!
Yep, that's right!
Jim

Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

Is it just me or does that circuit board look very ordinary to be in such a hostile, hot environment ? I would have expected something a bit more ruggedised, not something that looks like it belongs in the centre of a cheap DC brushless fan ? :lol:
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive
bddeazeley
My Cars:

Post by bddeazeley »

Thanks for all the replies and information. I think Ken is right in suggesting a donor pump is on order. I have learned that the pump temperature sensor is built into the cam position sensor although they operate independently of each other. This may well explain why the Lexia session showed up 3 sensor faults as they are not individual sensors. I will need to check the sensor wiring continuity from the pump back to the ECU I may just get lucky. I have also come to the conclusion that the Rotor sensor on the pump is a totally different sensor fitted somewhere else on the pump and is not contained within the timing/cam sensor module I am having the problems with ... does anyone know if my assumption is correct. Although there is virtually nothing about the Epic pump on UK websites some foreign websites/forums have lots of info provided you can understand it lol including reprogramming the pump memory (eeprom) now thats scary stuff to me. I have just noticed Mandrakes post whilst typing this post and I agree about heat as it is a major cause of dry joints in electronics causing expansion and contraction of the soldered joints on the PCB. Onwards and upwards!
kenhall1202
'07 Lexus RX400h
Past:
'?? Dyane (fun + rust)

Post by kenhall1202 »

Hi Brian,
Have sent you a PM - please respond.
Ken Hall
kenhall1202
'07 Lexus RX400h
Past:
'?? Dyane (fun + rust)

Post by kenhall1202 »

Hi Brian,

Your PM was notified but nothing in my inbox???

Plan B

The rotor position sensor is mounted on the end of the pump between the injector pipe connections.

I have a copy of the Lucas EPIC diagnostic manual which unfortunately requires the use of the Lucas Laser 2000 diagnostic machine!!
One such machine was sold on ebay a while back - see http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Lucas-Laser-2 ... 7675.l2557" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

However there are three Lucas fault codes(700,701 &702) listed for cam/timing related faults together with symptoms and checks that you could perform.
I have attached a copy of the relevant page together with the ECU pinout/signal/voltage page.

Ken Hall