Engine mounting holder, timing belt end.

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

sparksie
(Donor 2016)
My Cars:

Engine mounting holder, timing belt end.

Post by sparksie »

Hi all
Finally got to the bottom of a problem that has mystified me since getting my Xantia.
Sometimes, over 50% of the time really, the engine moves around in the engine bay, in a manner reminiscent of old Mini steady bar problems.
Yet we could never establish how/why it was doing it, as the mountings all appeared to be in good condition and we could never move the engine by hand, even using levers.
Today, however, Cit had to pull a Corolla, using a solomatic A-frame. About 30 miles into the journey, it became much more pronounced and engine vibration was being transmitted to the body every time I pressed the (literally!) loud pedal!
Upon investigation, I found the top mounting, at the timing belt end of the engine was quite secure vertically, but displayed an alarming amount of horizontal movement. This is because one of the rubber buffers has vanished, allowing the engine to lean back under torque, far enough for the metal of the mounting to touch the metal that used to have a rubber pad bonded to it. QH call this the "RH mounting holder".
Anybody know why one from a X1 won't do?
The pictures look the same, but the X2 one is out of stock everywhere and the X1 type is supposedly incompatible.
I'm contemplating trying to bond a piece of PU to the old one, as a temporary measure, as she's quite unpleasant to drive now and will probably break the exhaust, or wiring/plumbing, due to excessive movement.
This issue aside, she took to towing like a pro. She hardly noticed the Corolla behind her, even on the hills and bends.
A good day, all things considered.
Sparksie

2000 Xantia 1.9TurboD
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

I've flat towed a builder's ute, fully loaded with dreck, up hill and down dale with a 2 litre petrol and AL4 - no real problems.
citronut
My Cars:

Re: Engine mounting holder, timing belt end.

Post by citronut »

cant cross check your mounts today as service citroen is having a day off

http://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/v ... =2&t=49013" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Regards, malcolm.

current ride a BX 1.7 TZD estate
1986 MK1 BX 1.9na D Auto(in Mothman Andy's stable )
layed up roppy 1.9TD XANT estate, now gone to meet her maker
purple and lilac metalic 2CV(VIOLET)registered to her in doors
1972 DS special been layed up aprox 31 years
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

Post by Gibbo2286 »

I can see two part numbers for the 'Suspension buffer' but they seem to be mixed up between models, some petrols have either, some diesels have either on both the series one and two. looks as though you need to stick with the correct part to match the vin. 95 132 379 and 1844.25 are the numbers.
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
sparksie
(Donor 2016)
My Cars:

Post by sparksie »

Delving to make sure there were no nasty surprises lurking waiting to trip me when I do the timing belt, I couldn't resist having a go at repairing the buffer/holder/whatever it's called.
I cut a triangle off the tread of a scrap tractor tyre, smeared the cut edge with black Sikaflex and dropped it in where the rubber pad was missing, allowing the engine mounting to lean against it overnight, while it cured.
Today the car was transformed! Without thinking about it, I've been avoiding a resonance at certain revs, particularly while accellarating, and also been careful when going from power to overrun, to avoid intermittent sloppiness in the driveline. The latter was not always there, but was a dramatic "bang" when present. All of that was gone today! Engine noise has become a muted background hum and under no circumstances is it intrusive.
It's better than a similarly engined 406, now!
I'd never dare try something like this on a client's car, nor on one that was going to be driven by others.
I'm having fun with this one, as it's exclusively MINE!!!
I wonder how long this little bodge will last :-D
Sparksie

2000 Xantia 1.9TurboD
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

I knew somebody who was a wizard at electronic repairs. He once did a bodge repair on a PSU for a hospital X-Ray unit (the PSU was filled with oil, to keep it cool. His repair was mounted outside the oil chamber). About 5 years later the hospital asking him to come back and tidy it up. He asked what the problem was, to be told "No problem, the unit works perfectly. However, we are upgrading our X-Ray suite, selling the old equipment, and we would like it to look good!". His bodge jobs usually outlasted normal repairs, as he took time to work out why the equipment had failed in the first place, so that he could try to prevent it happening again.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!