Replacing Xantia wing mirror glass ?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Mandrake
My Cars:

Replacing Xantia wing mirror glass ?

Post by Mandrake »

Hi all,

Can anyone tell me how the drivers door mirror glass of a S1 Xantia comes out without breaking everything ?

The new one has a ring on the back of the glass and what looks like a peel off sticky pad but I can't tell for sure how the original comes out. Does it lever out or does the front (opposite) side of the shroud come off somehow ? It looks like it might...
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive
Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

IIRC it just pops out. The ring holds it in. It's one of those situations where you need to lever/pull it far more than feels safe or reasonable.

Enviado desde mi GT-I9505 usando Tapatalk
bonnyman750
My Cars:

Re: Replacing Xantia wing mirror glass ?

Post by bonnyman750 »

Assuming this is an original mirror and not an after-market one, push the bottom of the glass inwards to expose as much clearance at the top. Here you should see two small diameter wires sticking up. these are the ends of the clamp ring and need to be pushed inwards (i.e. one towards the other), then, when touching one needs to be pushed away from the glass as they are sitting in a slot on the back of the glass plastic mount. Once the clip (ring) is free the glass should come away fairly easily and all should become self-explanitary...just take your time...

Fitting it back on is the usual reversal, clipping the ring in place first, locating the two wires in their slot (it will be obvious) and then pushing the glass back into position (with a rag between the glass and the palm of your hand....been there done that....ouch!)...

When I fit them back on I put a smear of 'Vaseline' around the inside of the clip ring and its associated rim on the mirror mechanism to aid clipping it back on....

HTH

Glyn
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

Thanks Glyn,

I managed to get the old one out soon after posting when I discovered the two wire release clips at the top, but I was stumped for ages trying to get the new one in.

I couldn't decide whether you were supposed to position it and then click the second half of the wire clip into place - you can ALMOST do it that way if you had a thin forked tool to push the wire, but I couldn't do it.

Putting the clip on first and then pushing didn't work either but after reading your post I put some silicon grease around the clip area gave it a almost scary amount of pressure and it finally dropped into place :)

Only trouble is I now have a smudge of possibly silicone grease from my fingers on the glass that is resisting all attempts to clean off - it causes a slight milky haze over the entire glass. #-o (unfortunately I didn't have any Vaseline and had to use the silicone grease)
Simon

1978 CX 2400
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

I would use an alcohol cleaner to remove the grease. Isopropanol alcohol is a good one, failing that, check SWMBOs' nail varnish remover. If it has acetone that is a good degreaser.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

Will give that a try thanks.
Simon

1978 CX 2400