2001 Citroen C5 - Clock / Radio / 12v Issues

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

grinder

Re: 2001 Citroën C5 - Clock / Radio / 12v Issues

Post by grinder »

looks like the perm 12v turns itself off after a while , as although the car is working as it , and so is the radio , its lost all its stations and Bluetooth settings

Im wondering if the 12v perm I was seeing on the ISO wiring turns itself off eventually ( say after 30 mins or so )

This has got to be one of the most annoying car head unit installs I have done !

I think "BX" is right , might be worth taking the 12v perm feed from the 12v power outlet at the rear of the centre console .. so that will have to be a job for during the week now ... based on that I cant be bothered to do it this second , and it means pulling the head unit out again to mess with the wiring ! LOL :)
grinder

Post by grinder »

Hmmmmmmmmmmm , the plot thickens

I tried to take 12v perm from the 12v socket at the rear of the centre console .. only problem with this , its a switched 12v feed

So any ideas where to get a perm 12v from .. or do I just cheat and run direct from the battery with an inline fuse ??
sparksie
(Donor 2016)
My Cars:

Post by sparksie »

Ah!
Your 12V "permanent" supply is probably one of the circuits disabled when the car goes into eco, or standby mode.
If you can't find a genuine permanent supply in the radio connector, why not take it from the ignition supply? But remember to put a fuse in it!
I really must try and have a look at a C5, one of these days...
Sparksie

2000 Xantia 1.9TurboD
Bandit12
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: C5 X7 diesel exclusive

Post by Bandit12 »

Been following this thread with interest as I have a similar issue with needing a permenant live and a switched live to plug in my new heated seat elements.
I'm sure the 12v socket on the central console behind the handbrake is a permanent live because I've left a mobile phone charging on it with ignition off but willing to be corrected. I also thought the 12v cigarette lighter was permenent live too because once again mine works with ignition off. I did however notice that some things are on a timer. The electric seat motors for example will work for a short time with ignition off but then 'time out' making me think they are a switched 12v source.
Can anyone clarify which of these items has a genuine 12v permenent source and which has a switched?

Bandit
2002 Citroen C5 2.2Hdi exclusive estate (sadly gone) :(
2009 Citroën C5 X7 2.0 hdi (136bhp) exclusive estate (Oh wow what an upgrade) 8-)
qprdude
My Cars: Renault 5 TS, Renault 14ts, Citroen C5 Mk1, Renault Clio sport, Renault Laguna Privilege. Citroen C5 X7 Exclusive. Citroen DS5 D/sport . And around 25+ other brands from Morris Oxford to S Type jag and most things between.

Post by qprdude »

Bandit12 wrote:Been following this thread with interest as I have a similar issue with needing a permenant live and a switched live to plug in my new heated seat elements.
I'm sure the 12v socket on the central console behind the handbrake is a permanent live because I've left a mobile phone charging on it with ignition off but willing to be corrected. I also thought the 12v cigarette lighter was permenent live too because once again mine works with ignition off. I did however notice that some things are on a timer. The electric seat motors for example will work for a short time with ignition off but then 'time out' making me think they are a switched 12v source.
Can anyone clarify which of these items has a genuine 12v permenent source and which has a switched?

Bandit

It's caused by the start of "economy mode". Stuff that appears to work with the ignition off, can be shut down after a specific time, to protect the battery. Don't know about your car, but mine shows "economy mode" on the dash. Only things like the alarms ,Door locking, clock, and parking lights/hazard warning lamps are left available. Things like cigarette lighter, electric windows/mirrors arev switched off by economy mode. Best to leave the car for an hour or so (supposed to be 30 minutes), then check what is live. If something is still live after an hour, it's more likely to be permanent.
Rick.

2013 Citroen DS 5 D/Sport
2007 Renault Clio Campus sport. 1.2l

Sometimes the change doesn't work.
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

The rear socket on the console is permanent live & the fag lighter socket next to the gear lever is switched live, there should always be a permanent live at the radio connector regardless of whether the car is in Eco mode or not.
grinder

Post by grinder »

I metered my rear socket yesterday and it was only showing 12v with the ignition on

So its either in economy mode and just not telling me , or there is something strange with my rear socket ??
qprdude
My Cars: Renault 5 TS, Renault 14ts, Citroen C5 Mk1, Renault Clio sport, Renault Laguna Privilege. Citroen C5 X7 Exclusive. Citroen DS5 D/sport . And around 25+ other brands from Morris Oxford to S Type jag and most things between.

Post by qprdude »

mine is the same. Its economy mode.
Rick.

grinder

Post by grinder »

if that's the case ... how do you turn it off ( or even know its on ? )
qprdude

Post by qprdude »

Don't know if it CAN be turned off. Almost certainly not without Lexia as there is no provision for disable/enable in the menu. As I said, with mine "economy mode" is displayed in the dash message centre.
I have a later car and the message is displayed as a banner across the dial.
Rick.

grinder

Post by grinder »

I don't think mine is "on" to be honest , nothing is telling me it is

And its only a 20 min drive to work and im sure I read you need 30 mins to reset it ??
qprdude

Post by qprdude »

You could check by switching off and leaving your radio on if that works. Things like electric windows will also stop working after a while if economy mode kicks in.
The radio should go off automatically when (if) economy mode starts. It could be the best way to check is trial and error.
Rick.

BX
My Cars:

Post by BX »

Some functions are indeed timed. For example the electric windows will operate for a short period after the ignition is switched off. This is not eco mode The BSI goes to sleep normally after 90 seconds as far as I remember. In this the C5 is similar to several other makes and models produced since about 2005. The supplies to the radio and the headlamps along with most non essential services have their power cut in eco mode. For example if you park with your headlamps on they will be switched off when the system goes into eco mode after 30 or 60 minutes. However the parking lights will remain illuminated.
Now to the bits I need to verify.
Most french vehicles have 2 positions for the cigarette lighter and or the accessory socket. one is ignition controlled one is not. i know that F7 in the fuse box which is accessed from inside the glove box is for the accessory socket. I need to verify if it has 2 positions.
I do not think that the accessory socket is switched off in eco mode. I must check this as well. No C5 around at the moment but I expect one on Friday unless i get my hands on one before that.
Unless someone has definite answers rather than supposition, guessing or even believing what is written in a book i will come back with the answers.
grinder

Post by grinder »

OK , I can confirm on my 2001 model that the rear 12v socket goes dead when you turn off the ignition

No idea if this is a MK1 feature or what

Unless there is another blown fuse somewhere which is throwing me off ??
qprdude

Post by qprdude »

That's my lot. Anything I say is supposition mate. Even my CitroenC5 X7 handbook is not worth believing. :roll:
Rick.