Xantia 2.0l h.d.i SX LHM levels

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

stevestix8
My Cars: Xantia SX H.d.i 2.0L (S reg, 98)

Xantia 2.0l h.d.i SX LHM levels

Post by stevestix8 »

Hi All,

Has been a while since I lasted posted, the car has been going well, am still impressed with my £560 car 4 years later.

Im posting to ask some peoples opinions about the normal amount of LHM usage.

I replaced my pads today with some Delphi pads, which involved taking the calipers apart and winding the piston head back in. I have fitted the new pads well (incl sensors) and all is back together. I took it for a drivbe and the footbrakes seem good and responsive although I have been taking it easy on them until they bed in. The handbrake thoiugh seemed very loose. I had a look in Haynes and they suggest to let it idle with handbrake off and then pump the footbrakes. This should adjust the handbrake but it didn't.

I then came to check the LHM levels and the little gauge shows the disc on the highest red band, suggesting the LHM levels are fine. I had some LHM and put it in anyway as I suspected the gauge being wrong, as I haven't put any in for over a year. It seemed thirsty and i must have put over a litre in, but I still think it wants more.

The brakes and suspension seem fine and is all working and there is no sign of a leak of the LHM.

What is the normal annual amount of LHM that people have to top up? I might have a dodgy gauge and need to put more in.

Thanks,

Steve
Northern_Mike

Re: Xantia 2.0l h.d.i SX LHM levels

Post by Northern_Mike »

Well, none, it shouldn't "use" any, unless you have a leak...

I take it you checked with the suspension on the highest setting and the engine running? The orange disc should be between the two red lines in the sight glass.
stevestix8
My Cars: Xantia SX H.d.i 2.0L (S reg, 98)

Post by stevestix8 »

Hi,

Thanks for response.

I have had mine for 4 years now and occasionally (not often) it has needed a top up of LHM. Usually if I have been working on the brakes or replacing the spheres. There is a sight glass for a reason.

I agree though it won't 'use' much as it is a closed oil pressured system.

Have sussed the problem now as it just needed some time for the handbrake to automatically adjust, which it has now done.

Everything else like suspension, power steering and brakes seem better than ever, now.

Steve
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

You can't always rely on the LHM indicator it can stick, take the top out and see if the indicator drops.

Peter