which tyres

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

froggy
Donor 2023
My Cars: S2 Xantia Forte 185435.
Peugeot 306 Meridian, the boss.

which tyres

Post by froggy »

Hi, need to change the tyres on my S1 Xantia...........annual mileage 26000. any advice on which brand ? cheers Terry. :?:
Terry
Xantia TD lx series1 SORN
Peugeot 306 meridian [ the boss]
Xantia HDI Forte 1997 CC
isisalar
My Cars:

Re: which tyres

Post by isisalar »

I needed to get a new set on my HDI recently. There is now a useful rating system for tyres rating wet and dry grip, noise, economy etc. I got some Goodyear efficient grip performance tyres which are very well regarded and came out better rated than the Michelins and cheaper.
They seem to suit the car very well.
J reg 1.9d auto BX first Citroen
M reg 1.9d auto Xantia lx
N reg 1.9 td Xantia VSX Estate
T reg 2.0HDI Xantia Exclusive Estate Present car
M reg 106 diesel red
L reg 106 diesel white
02 Saxo 1.1i desire wife's present car(sadly now very ill cambelt gone- Doh)
Old-Guy
My Cars: 2011 Grand C4 Picasso VTR+ 1.6HDi in Kyanos Blue
1995 Xantia Estate SX 1.9TD in Vert Vega "The Green Lady" - now owned by XanTom
1998 Xantia 2.1 VXD Estate in Mauritius Blue - R.I.P. (terminal tin-worm)

Post by Old-Guy »

I needed a pair of reasonably priced tyres for the front of the VSX so I bought a pair of Nexen Blue something or other (205/55) transferring the complete set of wheels and tyres to the Green Lady when I put her back on the road as her steel wheels are shod with Goodyear Ultragrip winter tyres (amazing but a bit pricey). I've been pleasantly surprised by the Nexens and they rate pretty highly all round too.
Last edited by Old-Guy on 12 Jul 2014, 18:10, edited 1 time in total.
2011 Grand C4 Picasso VTR+ 1.6HDi in Kyanos Blue
1995 Xantia Estate SX 1.9TD in Vert Vega "The Green Lady" - after 11 years now owned by XanTom
isisalar
My Cars:

Post by isisalar »

Incidentally, both the fitters and BL autos, who had the wheels off yesterday, commented on how little weight had been needed to balance the Goodyears. Always a good sign of a good tyre.
M reg 106 diesel red
L reg 106 diesel white
Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

I put Goodyear Excellence on my Activa about 4 years ago. They were unbalanceable.

I generally go for Kumhos now. They seem very good VFM.

Posted from departure Gate 43, El Dorado airport, Bogota

Enviado desde mi GT-I9505 usando Tapatalk
Old-Guy
My Cars: 2011 Grand C4 Picasso VTR+ 1.6HDi in Kyanos Blue
1995 Xantia Estate SX 1.9TD in Vert Vega "The Green Lady" - now owned by XanTom

Post by Old-Guy »

northern_mike wrote:I put Goodyear Excellence on my Activa about 4 years ago. They were unbalanceable.
Speaking as someone who has some experience of fitting new tyres, there's no such thing as an "Unbalanceable" tyre. 'Second-quality' tyres may require an excess amount of weights to get them in balance.

However, if a new tyre has been stored incorrectly for any length of time, it will become distorted. Then when it's first fitted to a rim and inflated, the pressure will start to push the tyre back into shape. So while the fitter is trying to balance the still-distorted tyre, it is continuing to change shape and balance. The cure, if the tyre isn't permanently damaged, is to leave it lying flat (with nothing dumped on top of it) somewhere nice and warm for a few days or put some miles on it. Either way it will need to be re-balanced after a few hundred miles.

For exactly the same reason, the tyres on a vehicle left standing for an extended period are likely to go out of balance - and will need balancing at least twice.
2011 Grand C4 Picasso VTR+ 1.6HDi in Kyanos Blue
1995 Xantia Estate SX 1.9TD in Vert Vega "The Green Lady" - after 11 years now owned by XanTom
Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

Well, all I know is that I've used these guys for years, they have a very good reputation, and I've never had any other problems with them nor have people who I recommended (and indeed the two who recommended them to me). I went back 4 times to have them rebalanced and had no joy. They gave up and refunded me for two of them and sent them back. I guess they know what they're doing as they never have any problems with the centreless alloys I've taken, or the three-wheeler. I think the two Excellence were just broken!

Enviado desde mi GT-I9505 usando Tapatalk
SwissSPEC
My Cars:

Post by SwissSPEC »

I'd recommend Dunlop Bluresponse sport, very quiet, good dry & wet performance, no idea yet on longevity. I've used vredestein t-track tyres in the past & gotten 7 years out of a set & they are still road legal, i do alternate every 6mths with winter tyres though, that's why they've lasted so long :)
CX GTI 2 Turbo (LHD) - Sorn
Bx Gti 16v
BX TZD Turbo - Sorn
C5 Mk1 LX 2.0HDi Estate
Mini Cooper D Clubman
isisalar
My Cars:

Post by isisalar »

Re problems balancing tyres, in the course of changing mine I initially had two new ones put on the front and the old fronts put on the rear. Although the old fronts had been tramlining wildly and being generally terrible they were balanced ok. As soon as they were on the back there were horrendous balance problems, randomly, at speeds between 60-80mph.
I can only assume they were swapped diagonally and the reverse in direction had finished them off.
M reg 106 diesel red
L reg 106 diesel white
oscar
Location: London near that big building with the flashing light!
My Cars: 2001 Xsara Picasso 2.0 HDi

Post by oscar »

Have a look at Firestones like the TZ2 or 3000's very good roll nicely to grip and wear very well also Uniroyal
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

If anyone subscribes to 'Which?' they recently did a review of popular sized tyres.

Peter