Synergie Helo Please

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

D_K_

Synergie Helo Please

Post by D_K_ »

Ok, Long story, short version..

The old bus has been laid up for almost a year, and having a couple of weeks off work I decided it was time to sort the heap out.

Charged the battery up, and it started fine, stalled a couple of times trying to free the handbrake, and then wouldn't re-start.

The ECU light is on, and the "stop" light is flashing (even with all doors closed), I cant remember the status of the stop light when I did have it running, although I'm sure it was off with ign on and engine not running.

Hopefully someone has an easy clue, or is local (SW Herts/NW London) with a magic box who can tell me just why the sudden failure and stop light (a couple of pints and fuel donated of course). My autodata is no help, it shows my car as having a proprietary connector, it doesn't, its OBD style, and of course being a Citroen of vintage, my cheap reader/tablet combo won't talk to it at all.

ETA
2.0 petrol 8v if it makes a difference
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Re: Synergie Helo Please

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

It might be possible the fuel has 'died'. Old fuel (from what I have read on the forum) degrades to the point where it won't run an engine (the volatiles have probably evaporated off). It could be worth draining the tank, popping some fresh fuel in and seeing what happens (after the old fuel in the pipes has got out). The fuel in the filter and so on probably was 'good' as the volatiles couldn't evaporate off.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
D_K_

Post by D_K_ »

Ran fine, 'til I stalled it. Not even cranking now.
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

Ah, right. Not likely to be the fuel then. Now to wait for somebody with a lot more knowledge than I to offer better advise. Don't worry, somebody should be able to help (even if it takes a while, so be patient!). Oh, welcome to the forum, by the way.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
miked
My Cars: Xsara SX (2003) Last of the line.

Post by miked »

Is the engine trying to turn over? Do you hear the starter click, or if you try with the lights on, do they dim when you turn the key?
sparksie
(Donor 2016)
My Cars:

Post by sparksie »

If the starter is not even trying to engage, you've probably broken one of the high current leads. Most likely the main ground lead, though possibly the positive to the solenoid.
Try a jump lead from B- to the block, first.
If it cranks with that on, then you need a new earth lead.
Sparksie

2000 Xantia 1.9TurboD
D_K_

Post by D_K_ »

I think I may have found the culprit unintentionally whilst attempting to follow sparksie's advice

I took the battery back down to it this morning after another overnight charge, started tightening the clamps and the neg clamp just fell apart. replacement on order then will try again.

Is the stop lamp supposed to flash with ign on but engine off? Been so long since I used the old heap I can't remember
D_K_

Post by D_K_ »

Update again

Starter spins freely on the key when removed from the block, I guess I may have done something catastrophic, perhaps I didn't stall it but the engine just locked solid with no warning.
sparksie
(Donor 2016)
My Cars:

Post by sparksie »

Oh dear!
Have you tried rocking it back and forth, possibly using a screwdriver in the ring-gear, while the starter is out?
Or, better yet, with a socket on the pulley nut?
Whip out the plugs, too, in case it's got a hydraulic lock, though where it could have ingested water from would have to be found, if that were the case!
It's possible the clutch driven plate may have disintegrated, with debris jamming the flywheel, though you'd probably see evidence of that on the starter pinion.
I doubt you could have seized it without warning, though I suppose a seized ancillary might be sufficient to prevent the starter cranking, if the belt is correctly tensioned.
Good luck
Sparksie

2000 Xantia 1.9TurboD
miked

Post by miked »

As I remember, the stop light flashing is usually accompanied by another light, which indicates the problem. High coolant temperature or low oil pressure for example. You just reported the Engine Management Light.
The reason I asked if it tries to turn over was because I didn't want to suggest any bad news. From what you have said since then, I would be looking at the cam belt.
sparksie
(Donor 2016)
My Cars:

Post by sparksie »

Yes, that though had crossed my mind too.
Though usually the starter would have enough torque to bend valves, break rockers, or camshaft and get it over TDC.
I suppose it could have stopped with a piston resting against a valve, so denying the opportunity to build up any momentum.
In any event, the likelihood is that something that requires more work has happened...
Sorry...
Sparksie

2000 Xantia 1.9TurboD
D_K_

Post by D_K_ »

Right.....

I popped the cambelt bottom cover off, and the belt looks good, nicely tensioned etc.

I can't turn the engine by hand with a long wrench on the crank pulley even with the plugs out. Removed lower flywheel cover, no obvious signs of debris, but cant see much in there and barely got a finger in the gap.

After the engine last stopped (I assumed I stalled it trying to un-seize handbrake) it has never even attempted to turn, not the slightest whirr, just the solenoid click. So I guess tomorrows job is gearbox off and see if I exploded the clutch.

Damn typical, just accepted delivery of replacement strut & drive-shaft today, the original reason it was off the road, so if the engine is fubar then that's me out of pocket, scrap value is probably not much more than I paid for the parts. I just cant afford engine replacement, nor is it feasible as a kerbside swap
Last edited by D_K_ on 11 Jul 2014, 10:40, edited 1 time in total.
miked

Post by miked »

EDIT: Ignore me. Why did I read your last post as 'Can turn the engine by hand''? (In my defence, it was missing an apostrophe, and then the two t's merged into one when I read it too fast :oops: )
/EDIT

This might be a bit late , since your last reply was last night. If you can turn it over by hand from the crank pulley, then it should turn over from the flywheel (ie starter motor) regardless of the state of the clutch.
If you haven't got any further or started removing the gearbox, then if you have a multimeter, check how much the voltage drops at the battery when you try to crank it. A couple of volts should mean the starter is trying (or a bad connection which would show itself by getting hot). Lots of volts would suggest a bad battery and no volts means the starter isn't trying.
D_K_

Post by D_K_ »

Unfortunately yesterday other bits of life got in the way, and it seems today is going to be similar, with the added disadvantage of being too damp to be lying on the floor all day. Likely be Tuesday before I can put decent time into this gain :(

Still awaiting new battery terminals, but still no joy using jump leads and avoiding the broken clamp, The battery is good enough to turn over my V6 Hyundai with no effort, and similarly trying to use the hyundai battery results in the same lack of cranking on the old bus. It was a tight fit, (batteries are all wrong for where things park), but even with the Hyundai running, and trying a traditional jumpstart with both batteries in play had the same result.

I think I'm out of easy tests now, more spanner monkey stuff next week
D_K_

Post by D_K_ »

Its dead, thanks to all those who offered input.

So now to get it emptied and towed away so I can get another discovery :)