Looking for some help with my Citroen Synergie 1999 1.9 TD

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

XUDLover
New User

Looking for some help with my Citroen Synergie 1999 1.9 TD

Post by XUDLover »

Looking for some help with my Citroen Synergie 1999 1.9 TD.

**Before I begin, It's nothing to do with the exhaust. It's definitely from the gearbox / clutch area**

I have an annoying vibration thats been getting worse and it's coming from the gearbox / clutch / engine.. standing still with clutch engaged or disengaged I get this noise and vibration.. When driving at around 2.5 K RPM to 3.5K it's really loud and can be felt through the car. however, no vibrating when clutch is pressed and just rolling with the engine at idle, It vibrates when I rev it back up even if rolling or standing still. clutch seems ok, does not slip.. I can feel the vibration through the clutch pedal also.
Could this be a thrust bearing issue? it started off as a little vibration at a certain speed just over 70 MPH and would disappear completely just bellow that speed.

YouTube video of the sound. " onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
vulgalour
My Cars: 1980 Austin Princess HL
1987 Citroen BX 17RD

Re: Looking for some help with my Citroen Synergie 1999 1.9

Post by vulgalour »

Are you getting any visible vibration of the gearbox or engine? I know you've said it's not exhaust, though it sounds a lot like it at first, but I wonder if it's a mount somewhere that's worn out. Thrust bearing is possible, it certainly sounds like a rotational noise, it's not dissimilar to a failed wheel bearing and they get pretty loud. Sorry I can't be of more help, but I imagine you're heading in the right direction, it's what I'd be thinking too.
sparksie
(Donor 2016)
My Cars:

Post by sparksie »

Hi
Internet too slow for me to watch your video tonight, but your description sounds like an out of balance problem.
Could the DMF have failed?
Or could the front pulley have split, allowing the outer part to rotate away from it's ynamically balanced position?
Or perhaps you've thrown a weight from the clutch cover?
Of these, I think the DMF most likely, assuming you have one.
The vibration from the others is usually not really audible, unless you're very sensitive and unusually well tuned in to the sound and feel of your car.
A loose timing belt can make some pretty loud noise, at particular revs, but usually this can't be felt inside the car, though it can certainly be heard.
Given your very clear description, you can rule out anything gearbox related, as the vibration occurs with clutch disengaged and vehicle stationary, under which conditions the gearbox is static.
It may be worth checking that the airbox is secure, as it could resonate and possibly transmit the resulting vibration through the clutch cable, if it's come adrift.
Sorry it's such a generalised reply, but I have no direct experience of your car... I can't even picture a Synergie!
Sparksie

2000 Xantia 1.9TurboD
Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

Sparksie - think Pug 806 or Fiat Ulysesse and that is a Synergie of that age. Pug/Cit/Fiat people carrier thingy. Not a bad tool at all. This won't have a DMF as it's a 1.9TD. I'd guess an engine mount or clutch.

Enviado desde mi GT-I9505 usando Tapatalk
Richard_C
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: C4 Picasso 1.6 Blue Hdi 120 Manual Excl+ 2016
C3 1.2 Puretech 110 Auto Flair 2017

Post by Richard_C »

Looking at your video it doesn't seem to bad - when I jump from my C5 III into the Synergie it always seems a bit of a rattler, but after a mile or few you ignore it.

The crankshaft pulley does have a rubber insert which could cause vibration if it fails and should be a relatively easy thing to check.

Also (and a long shot but easy to eliminate) is the aircon compressor contributing to the problem - put heating on auto, and off as you had it, and compressor clutch should engage/disengage, see if anything changes.

Are the engine mounts OK?

I have just had a new crankshaft pulley as part of a bigger job, old one had bad rubber at 142k miles. I got a local indie to do it, decided to invest in new cambelt - second time around - and whist at it new water pump, aux belt and so on to keep it going for another 70k miles. 7 or 8 years.

As a previous poster said, it shares most things apart from trim with the Peugeot 806 and Fiat Ulysse, was called the Evasion in most non UK markets including France, and who can forget the premium Lancia Zeta version! Synergie is a hugely useful machine, pleasant enough to drive if you are in no rush to accelerate, which is why I have kept mine for 16 years. People, Ikea wardrobe flatpacks, bikes, drum kit, a whole jazz quartet and their instruments, trips to the tip, stand on surfboards, a vibraphone, all go in (not at the same time you understand, but you can do 4 people 4 bikes easily). With back row seats only and the front two swivelled and a sliding door open its a living room on the campsite and a beach hut/changing room. Not found a suitable replacement.
Richard_C

Current: , C4 Picasso 120 BlueHdi, C3 1.2 Auto
Past Citroens: Dyane (x2), 2CV, Visa, BX (x2), Xantia, Xsara Picasso, C3 (x2) C5 X7 Tourer, Synergie 1.9TD, C1
Others: Hillman Hunter, Cortina Mk 1, Maxi, VW Type 2, Granada, SAAB 900, SAAB 9-5, R5 Gordini
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

sounds like a miss fire to me
Regards, malcolm.

current ride a BX 1.7 TZD estate
1986 MK1 BX 1.9na D Auto(in Mothman Andy's stable )
layed up roppy 1.9TD XANT estate, now gone to meet her maker
purple and lilac metalic 2CV(VIOLET)registered to her in doors
1972 DS special been layed up aprox 31 years