1997 Xantia 1.9TD Estate - 05/07

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Northern_Mike

Re: 1997 Xantia 1.9TD Estate - 04/04 Peugeot Seats

Post by Northern_Mike »

vulgalour wrote:Ah yes, the airbag debate. I wasn't sure myself and felt none the wiser after reading up online so I asked MoT testers in the real world and online and got the unanimous response that it's perfectly okay to do providing I do it properly. That means decommissioning the airbag system so the dash light doesn't ignite and making sure there's no visible reference to airbags being fitted on the car. If to all intents and purposes the car appears to have no airbags fitted, it will not be tested for them at the age the Xantia is.
It's nice to know our trusted MOT testers are unanimous in their law-breaking.

It is a car with an airbag fitted as standard. Their software should show them this. For them to ignore it and simply pretend the thing didn't exist is bordering on criminal.

Personally, and it is only my opinion, it's not the wisest modification to make. I sincerely hope you don't come to agree by having your face rearranged in a no-fault accident because you've removed the airbag and seat belt pre-tensioners.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: Xantia V6 ACTIVA 3ltr 24v Manual p1
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Post by Stickyfinger »

very this
other than the seat belts and the crumble zones....that is the most important piece of safety in the car....why on earth remove it ?seems totally daft to me
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
3x C5x7 Steering racks and counting
vulgalour
My Cars: 1980 Austin Princess HL
1987 Citroen BX 17RD

Post by vulgalour »

Uh oh, opinions! Who am I putting at risk by removing the air bag? Me. So therefore, providing I am legally permitted to remove it and all is above board who suffers as a consequence? Nobody.

It's surprisingly common for people to remove airbag steering wheels and replace them with a generic sports wheel but not go to the trouble of finding out if it's legal or even disabling the airbag warning system properly. It's even more common for people to drive cars with faulty airbag systems that don't work, scrapping the car before the MoT is due or otherwise disabling the warning system to get through an MoT.

So yes, it's an unusual modification, it's not what people would normally do but it is something I'm considering. NONE of my daily drivers to this date have had airbags or seatbelt pre-tensioners and only one has had side-impact bars. They've all had inertia reel seatbelts, crumple zones and laminated windscreens. I certainly won't be making myself any less safe or more prone to injury by removing these safety features as it brings the Xantia in line with other cars I've driven including my 1997 Maestro which at the same age as the Xantia was considerably more primitive in the safety department.
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

You may also run into trouble with your insurers by removing standard fit safety equipment.
vulgalour
1987 Citroen BX 17RD

Post by vulgalour »

Which is part of the keeping it legal side of things. It's something I'd like to do. If it proves uninsurable or otherwise illegal then I won't do it, simple as that. If I can do it then I definitely will.
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Post by Stickyfinger »

Totally wrong and forgive me for caring about your health.

NHS pays for your face......Parents cry for months..Dental Fees...No payout on the Car.....yep....no consequence

Have a good day mate but LEAVE the Air Bag alone
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
vulgalour
1987 Citroen BX 17RD

Post by vulgalour »

We have different opinions and that's how they'll stay, graphic facial damage images or not.
Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

Stickyfinger wrote:Totally wrong and forgive me for caring about your health.

NHS pays for your face......Parents cry for months..Dental Fees...No payout on the Car.....yep....no consequence
Yes. I agree 100% with you Sticky.

Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

vulgalour wrote:We have different opinions
Sticky's points weren't opinion. They were facts.

Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Post by Stickyfinger »

errrr..... FYI, I am still a Member of my (Old) profession,trauma being my preferred area http://www.impt.co.uk/chairmans-introduction.php . After leaving the NHS , I introduced these systems to the UK market for these people http://www.synthes.com/sites/NA/Product ... /home.aspx .

I say no more on the matter.
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
oscar
Location: London near that big building with the flashing light!
My Cars: 2001 Xsara Picasso 2.0 HDi

Post by oscar »

To undo those bolts on base of seat frame you need torx's think there 50's?
For a vacuum you need a Henry, Dysons are just toys flimsey plastic ones at that and B expensive too
vulgalour
1987 Citroen BX 17RD

Post by vulgalour »

Right, anyway, I've got the correct (I hope) tool to undo those seat base bolts to swap things over to finish the seat install fully. I'm finding that the Peugeot seats make me so much more comfortable, the steering wheel is no longer an issue so even though I'd like a single-spoke wheel it's likely not going to happen as it doesn't have to. Hopefully that puts that particular discussion to bed now.

In other news, I painted two of the Synergie trims silver and put them on the car and then found I really didn't like them at all. A bit disappointed and surprised about that, when they were a little bit battered and silver they looked okay but repainted they just looked wrong somehow. Anyway, I repainted them white and that looks far better.

I didn't use Halfords paints for this job as it would have cost me a tin per trim, which was more than I really wanted to spend. Instead I used some good quality generic white which sometimes looks just a smidge too bright. If they don't mellow down I'll get a tin of Halfords' white to give all four a final top coat as I know the match is really good to the paint on the car. The other thing I need to do is re-black the 'vents' on the trims, like so:

What's surprised me is how many people like the wheel trims white, I was expecting to be in a party of one with this choice. I wonder if it's because I've been quite strict about the black and white colour scheme on the car that makes them look like they belong, the only exterior colour I can't really delete is the red lights and the yellow rear plate. I had considered fitting the clear top rear lights but they run the risk of looking too aftermarket and the indicators in them are not as visible as in the type I've got fitted.

Inside the car there's some plastic trims that I want to unify, colour wise, and I'd like to retrim the scruffy headlining in white. In fact, the interior is the only place I'll deviate from a strict black and white code, the use of some grey will help keep things looking more factory and cost less as there will be less items to replace that way.

It's nice that the car feels so sorted that I can consider niceties like this and that those Peugeot seats have made such a difference to comfort that I no longer dread driving this car.
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Post by Stickyfinger »

That's come together well...I too like the white.

I have a set of V6 alloys as an apology if you can pick them up.......tires are iffy but alloy is good mostly.....you have a call on them if you want/can get ....if not Ebay.
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
vulgalour
1987 Citroen BX 17RD

Re: 1997 Xantia 1.9TD Estate - 12/04 Update

Post by vulgalour »

It's kind of you to offer, but I have no use for them, quite happy with the steels and trims even though the V6 alloys are a good looking wheel. Then there's the whole collecting them from Somerset thing which although a great excuse to pick up some excellent cider is a fair old trek from Stockton-on-Tees.

@Oscar: My Dyson cost me £15 over 15 years ago from the local tip. Someone had thrown it away because they'd got a vending machine coin stuck in it and burned out a belt, it was brand new and quite a lot more than £15 in the shops. I've got a spare motor to fit in it after it ate it's last one and it does everything I ask of it. There is a point at which Dysons became rubbish and flimsy and expensive, but it was a few models after the faithful old DC01 that I've got.
chinkostu
My Cars: N Xantia 1.9TD SX
03 Fiesta 1.4 Zetec

Re: 1997 Xantia 1.9TD Estate - 12/04 Update

Post by chinkostu »

vulgalour wrote:It's kind of you to offer, but I have no use for them, quite happy with the steels and trims even though the V6 alloys are a good looking wheel. Then there's the whole collecting them from Somerset thing which although a great excuse to pick up some excellent cider is a fair old trek from Stockton-on-Tees.
make a day of it ;) ;)

cars looking nice. i understand what you mean with the seats, had a 3 1/2 hour mish each way today, one way with standard interior, the way back with the activa drivers seat, which after getting the position right is a beautiful seat. hopefully the 405 seats are similar!

if you need a seatframe to practice on i have a standard interior minus the drivers seat :wink:
Stu

Cars
1995 Xantia 1.9TD SX in (faded) Red
2003 Fiesta 1.4 Zetec in GREEEEEEEN
2001 206 1.9 LX
2001 Saxo VTR
1999 Saxo 1.1 East coast
1999 Punto :oops:
1996 306 1.8 XN Auto :?
1996 Fiesta 1.3 #-o