Citroen c3 1.4 hdi not starting

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

nigel517
Locked user account

Citroen c3 1.4 hdi not starting

Post by nigel517 »

hi I have just purchased a 2003 Citroen 1.3 Hdi exclusive with the intention of taking it over to my holiday villa in Turkey. I think I may have been sold a Turkey.
The car has done 109,000 and has a good service history. When I picked the car up the seller said he was selling it for a friend who had emigrated. He said that the battery had gone flat and he had managed to start it with a starter pack but didn't want to buy a new battery as it was being sold. He explained that the poor battery stopped the car getting diesel via the ecu.
The car has to be started with a cold start sprayed into the air intake and then it starts and ticks over well. I drove it home 300 miles and it generally ran well. it has two problems.
It will not start without the damp start, a new battery and reset has not cured this and although it will cruise along at 80 mph happily when you try and accelerate quickly it stutters around 3000 rpm as if a rev limiter was coming in.
Having read the various forums I feel that the problem might be the egr valve and possibly the air mass sensor. my question is before cleaning, replacing these is would they actually prevent the car from starting or just cause rough running. I need to get the car sorted soon for my trip but I feel I have bought a problem. Normally I would have walked away but having travelled 300 miles to collect it I trusted this chaps explain action. A fool I know. any help suggestions to sort the car would be appreciated.
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Re: Citroen c3 1.4 hdi not starting

Post by myglaren »

Welcome to the forums Nigel, shame about the circumstances.

As you have a new battery then that's one step in the right direction.
May be wise to measure the voltages at the battery to eliminate the possibility of an underperforming alternator.
With C5s and possibly others in the range there is a reset procedure that it is wise to follow to avoid any electronics problems. Doesn't sound like it is the problem in this case but worth a go.

Your problem does sound rather like one a couple of members have had recently - ongoing in one case.
That is the fuel rail pressure regulator.
Have a read through this thread.
Have to dash now but will see if there is any more related material later.
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

Is it an 8v or 16v version ?
after a long run will it restart of the key at all even immediately after switching it off or is the starting problem only after its been left for a while ?
It sounds like a fuel pressure problem to me, you really need to get this on a decent diagnostic tool (preferably Lexia) so you can read what the fuel pressure is on cranking, if its low the next step is to have an injector leak off test done.
Any car that needs easy start to fire up is probably best avoided unless you are going in with you eyes wide open & the car has a price to reflect it.
nigel517
Locked user account

Post by nigel517 »

Its the 16 valve, wont start even after a long run. But when you do get ut started if ticks over flawlessly. Looking to buy a lexia which is the next step.
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
Ooops.
Previously:
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Have a look here and see if there is a Lexia owner near you that can run a diagnostic for you.
nigel517
Locked user account

Post by nigel517 »

Thanks I live in St annes near Blackpool if anyone could help.
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
Ooops.
Previously:
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

trainman is your closest operator.
Click the link and PM him, see how he is fixed (he does live a rather busy life though).
Trainman
(Donor 2018)
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: 2008 C6 2.7 Exclusive in Mativoire Beige with Vitali Leather.
2019 C5 1.6 Aircross Flair+ in Platinum Grey with Claudia Rimini Leather
2017 1.6HDi Berlingo Van - the works van

Post by Trainman »

I've been in touch with Nigel, I'm thinking that it would be better to see what the reading are from a 'cold start' rather than after a run, having said that it could be worth getting the readings from both for a comparison.

I hope t o be able to arrange something soon to get this sorted, but I've also advised him that Dave Ashworth is only up the road in Blackpool.
Steve

2008 C6 2.7 Exclusive in Mativoire Beige with Vitali Leather.

http://c6owners.org/index.php
nigel517
Locked user account

Post by nigel517 »

Quick update. Following a lengthy saga when another members car wouldnt start without easystart and would then run perfectly I copied his cure and fitted a new fuel pressure regulator along with a new fuel filter. sadly it has not cured my starting problem. It looks Like I will be off to see trainman to get the diagnostic check.
Gutted really need it sorting soon.
nigel517
Locked user account

Post by nigel517 »

Anyone had a their ecu go. My next thought is the previous owner fried it by constantly starting it with a jumper pack. I believe that you can get them tested and repaired quite reasonably now. Im guessing he ecu fault would not show on a diagnostic check.
Trainman
(Donor 2018)
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: 2008 C6 2.7 Exclusive in Mativoire Beige with Vitali Leather.
2017 1.6HDi Berlingo Van - the works van

Post by Trainman »

Nigel, No problem, I'm around most of Saturday, I've Autoglass coming in the morning to replace the windscreen on the Xantia, other than that I'm free, Can I suggest I come to you, it might be easier to get the diagnostic before we start the car and then again once its running for a comparison............

Just thinking out loud..........
Steve

2008 C6 2.7 Exclusive in Mativoire Beige with Vitali Leather.

http://c6owners.org/index.php
nigel517
Locked user account

Post by nigel517 »

just an update, I missed driving the car to Turkey as the garage couldn't sort it in time. They now suspect the injectors and are having great difficulty getting them out. The tip of one has remained lodge in the head. I will need to get them reconditioned and purchase at least one new or second hand one. they are Delphi for a 2003 16 v hdi. Has anyone got any for sale please. ps I might not reply straight away as I am driving to Turkey and the internet is spasmodic but I am hoping to return to a fixed car,.