Bx Td Exhaust leak

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Gavin1

Bx Td Exhaust leak

Post by Gavin1 »

I've recently changed the head on my diesel bx and ever since the joint between the manifold and the downpipe has leaked - whats the best stuff to use in order to stop it leaking exhaust?
Cheers
blueboy2001

Post by blueboy2001 »

Did you use a new gasket? Did you torque the nuts up correctly?
Doing the above should really leave it leak free.
bxbodger
My Cars:

Post by bxbodger »

Despite the use of the correct gasket, most exhaust fitters will still use exhaust assembly paste as well;its white and expands and sets with heat.You can get it in any spares shop: just undo the joint,
smear it on, reassemble and start the engine. Heat does the rest.
sandancer

Post by sandancer »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by bxbodger</i>

Despite the use of the correct gasket, most exhaust fitters will still use exhaust assembly paste as well;its white and expands and sets with heat.You can get it in any spares shop: just undo the joint,
smear it on, reassemble and start the engine. Heat does the rest.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Just done that myself, although it's reduced the leak, it hasn't got rid of it. In my case the bolts are tightened up fully, but there's still sufficient movement in the joint to cause it to blow. Seems only cure now is a new gasket[:(].
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

The spheric carbon-something O-ring gasket in the pivoting joint is known to wear out (flat) and cause leaks.
Can't remember the exact size - but this gasket is not peculiar to Citroens. It's used on many frontdrive cars - available as standard part from exhaust fitters.
Gavin1

Post by Gavin1 »

On closer inspection the rear section of the exhaust had come of its rubber mounts and was hanging from the manifold hence the leak - once I had hooked the exhaust back on the problem was solved! Nice just for once to have a simple solution to a problem with a bx!!
Thanks