HELP stuck front wheel bearing circlip!!

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

ecohouse1
My Cars: Rover 75 CDT TourerAuto , , Mercedes 190E 1.8 1993, 2CV6 Special 1987, Peugeot 206 1.1 2001. Repairs and maintenance of two Hyundai i10s
Deceased
Xantia TD Estate 1999 (now with Chris Morewood)
Xsara 1.9D Saloon
BXTZD Break
BXTGD Hatch
Peugeot 309 1.9D
Various 2CVs
Porsche 924 lux
Porsche 924S
Renault Clio 1.4 Auto
GSA Pallas
Triumph Herald 1200

HELP stuck front wheel bearing circlip!!

Post by ecohouse1 »

On my xantia td. I should have known better than to even try as I have been stopped in my tracks doing this on bus and pugs. Anyway now have the hub on the bench and a mutilated circlip stuck solid in the hub carrier. So far used heat plus gas and an air chisel to no avail. Bits just break off!! Even tried braking it into bits using a chisel and angle grinder. Still stuck in th groove.

Anyone have any suggestion? Thinking now about taking it to local garage or blacksmiths. Bet they get a laugh from the butchery!!

Thanks alan
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Re: HELP stuck front wheel bearing circlip!!

Post by CitroJim »

Just done a wheel bearing in my Activa :twisted: That circlip was hard enough. I normally attack them with a punch and cold chisel after a Plus Gas soak and I've always been OK even if the end result is a very mangled circlip and often is several pieces.

The punch is used to get an end moving and then I drive a cold chisel in under and drive it round under the circlip until it's all free and out.

If the circlip is that bad it'll very likely take a serious amount of pressure to get the old bearing moving. Mine today took 11 tons and that was in a fairly clean and rust-free hub.

Unless you have a 20 ton press I would get a local garage to do the job. My 10 ton press struggles now and is rather bent and distorted as a result of it regularly being used beyond 10 tons on wheel bearings!
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
qprdude
My Cars: Renault 5 TS, Renault 14ts, Citroen C5 Mk1, Renault Clio sport, Renault Laguna Privilege. Citroen C5 X7 Exclusive. Citroen DS5 D/sport . And around 25+ other brands from Morris Oxford to S Type jag and most things between.

Post by qprdude »

Ecohouse. You might try taking it to Mulco Engineering on St Machar road (Just off St Machar Drive, second gate on your right). Ask for George or Pete. The have hydraulic and electric presses up to 100 ton (maybe 50) . They should be able to destroy the circlip for you as well. Might take a wee while as they will have to find a suitable bit of bar and pipe for the press.
Can't guarantee they will be able to do it right away though, as they are usually up to the eyes with work. They might be a bit wary of the job if you have damaged things too much.
Rick.

2013 Citroen DS 5 D/Sport
2007 Renault Clio Campus sport. 1.2l

Sometimes the change doesn't work.
c.morewood
Donor 2023
My Cars: '00 Xantia 110 bhp Hdi SX Estate 65K "W"
'99 Xantia 110 bhp Hdi SX Estate 310K SORN "V"
'98 Xantia 1.9TD SX Estate 150K Sold "T"

Post by c.morewood »

I hear Brian has a press in Kemnay.. he's the new owner of the garage.. But he'll charge £30 plus vat to get the bearing out and in again.
Good luck Alan
Chris
Tesla Model 3 LR DM AWD Blue White
'00 Xant 110HdiSX Est 83K "W"
'99 Xant 110HdiSX Est 320K "V"
'98 Xant 1.9TDSX Est 150K "T"
'97 Xant 1.9TD 20k Est
'94 Fiat TipoTd 40K

'85 BMW K100RT 330K Garaged 26yrs '80 Honda CB250 twin Superdream
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

i use the pointed end tang of a large old file to pries one end of the circlip out, then get a thin screw driver blade in between it and the hub carrier,

this gets most of these circlips with no eyes out
Regards, malcolm.

current ride a BX 1.7 TZD estate
1986 MK1 BX 1.9na D Auto(in Mothman Andy's stable )
layed up roppy 1.9TD XANT estate, now gone to meet her maker
purple and lilac metalic 2CV(VIOLET)registered to her in doors
1972 DS special been layed up aprox 31 years
ecohouse1
My Cars: Rover 75 CDT TourerAuto , , Mercedes 190E 1.8 1993, 2CV6 Special 1987, Peugeot 206 1.1 2001. Repairs and maintenance of two Hyundai i10s
Deceased
Xsara 1.9D Saloon
BXTZD Break
BXTGD Hatch
Peugeot 309 1.9D
Various 2CVs
Porsche 924 lux
Porsche 924S
Renault Clio 1.4 Auto
GSA Pallas
Triumph Herald 1200

Post by ecohouse1 »

Thanks folks. After hours of swearing I finally resorted to using a well worn grinder disc and by making the guard off the grinder was able to literally run the disc inside the circumference of the circlip and the heat and removal of large bits it finally allowed it to come out in pieces. It's not pretty but the new circlip pinged in ok. Used the weld bead trick inside the outer race and then took a hammer and cold chisel to it. It literally broke I to pieces and tinkled out. Carefully drifted the new bearing in. One thing I do t understand is that the new hub seems to sit slightly further out than thesdt one using the "nub" that sticks out the hub carrier as a guide against the disc. I even took the carrier off again to drift it further on but it's right up against the carrier at the front. Odd. It's slight better now the driveshaft nut had been torqued up.

Anyway road tested and the droning seems to have stopped. Think the N/S will be going to a garage/ shop so thanks for the suggestions.

I would rather pay more for a bolt on bearing assembly than swearing chiseling!

Cheers
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Well done for doing that :-D How did you drift the new bearing in?

Odd about the hub carrier but if all is OK and all is working well then no worries....
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
ecohouse1
Deceased
Xsara 1.9D Saloon
BXTZD Break
BXTGD Hatch
Peugeot 309 1.9D
Various 2CVs
Porsche 924 lux
Porsche 924S
Renault Clio 1.4 Auto
GSA Pallas
Triumph Herald 1200

Post by ecohouse1 »

Thanks Jim. I had bought 2 Bearings with the intention of doing the N/S had the O/S gone swimmingly!.

My usual technique is to lay a flat sided lump hammer on the bearing then use another hammer to knowck it in flush with the housing. Then I carefully lined up the other bearing and used it as a drift to push it home.

I drove 20 miles last night and the ABS on that wheel is kicking in under moderate braking..hmmmmm

I am wondering if I need to back off the piston, as the disc is now a couple of mm further out than before and I am wondering if this is making the brakes tighter??
I would have thought they would "self centre" as they are on a sliding pin?

The other thing that caught me out & I wondered if it was connected was the heatshield that sits on the top of the hub carried. It is bolted on the ABS sensor bolt.

I couldnt recall if it went under or over the ABS sensor mount? I placed it under and so lifting the sensor a mm further from the toothed ring.It didn't look right on the top of the sensor mount. Half expected the ABS light to start up but it didn't.

Anyone have any idea's?

Cheers

Alan
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

IIRC the shield is over the sensor. If the sensor is too far away from the reluctor ring it won't properly 'see' the rings' rotation speed.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Hell Razor5543 wrote:IIRC the shield is over the sensor. If the sensor is too far away from the reluctor ring it won't properly 'see' the rings' rotation speed.
James, absolutely correct :-D I know from doing the same job this weekend and yes, if the sensor tip is too far from the reluctor it will cause exactly the problem you're seeing.

The tip of the sensor, as we know James, can be offset from the teeth but the gap between the ring and tip is absolutly critical...

Eco, that's a way I've never tried replacing a bearing but as long as the pressure is appliued to the outer race then it should be fine.

Are you going to do the otehr side now?
Jim

ecohouse1
Deceased
Xsara 1.9D Saloon
BXTZD Break
BXTGD Hatch
Peugeot 309 1.9D
Various 2CVs
Porsche 924 lux
Porsche 924S
Renault Clio 1.4 Auto
GSA Pallas
Triumph Herald 1200

Post by ecohouse1 »

I was half expecting after all the grief on Saturday that the droning sound would still be there as it was the n/s that was the problem!! Luckily enough replacing the O/S bearing seems to have cured that, although I am sure that the N/S wont be far behind.

Plan is to leave it for now then tackle once it becomes vocal! :-D Toying with the idea of buying some bearing circlip removal pliers? Seen some around £30. Anyone had success with these? I seriously doubt that they would have made inroads on the one I had to remove though so might be a waste of cash? :? May even just remove the hub and ask a workshop to remove the circlip and press out the old and fit the new bearing, just to save grief. I can pootle around in the 2CV for a few days while its being done.

Interesting about the heat shield being over the ABS Sensor. I didn't notice it above when I undid the bolt, but I must admit the ABS sensor does look slightly further from the reluctor ring than I remember it with the shield underneath. I presume that there is a weaker signal to the sensor, enough to cause wierd effects but not enough to trigger the warning light?

Last week in a cack handed attempt to identify the noisy bearing I sprayed spray grease in through the back of the driveshaft into the bearing! What a plonker as the bearing is sealed anyway and I coated the sensor (s) with gunk. Immediately on driving the warning light came on. I cleaned it all up and the light went out. Live and learn! Will remove the sensor bolt and relocate the heatshield to the top.

Thanks chaps - this forum is veritable mine of information and help!

Cheers
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

We try to help, and normally succeed (although, on occasions, I have given wrong advise and been pulled up on it by people who do know better).
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

Kind of puts me off tackling the noisy WB in my 307..... but then again it's an excuse to buy more tools :twisted: I suspect that if the ring is rusted in, then 'agressive' methods are required to remove it, and pliers would be worthless anyway. I wonder how garages deal with them?
Richard W
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

RichardW wrote:I wonder how garages deal with them?
Like me I expect :twisted: Much profanity, big hammers, punches (not of the Karate variety), cold chisels and angel grinders... :P
Jim

RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

CitroJim wrote: Like me I expect :twisted: Much profanity, big hammers, punches (not of the Karate variety), cold chisels and angel grinders... :P
Just like most other jobs on PSA cars then :lol: =D>
Richard W