MOT coming up. Fluid change?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

qprdude
My Cars: Renault 5 TS, Renault 14ts, Citroen C5 Mk1, Renault Clio sport, Renault Laguna Privilege. Citroen C5 X7 Exclusive. Citroen DS5 D/sport . And around 25+ other brands from Morris Oxford to S Type jag and most things between.

MOT coming up. Fluid change?

Post by qprdude »

I have booked an MOT at Citroen in Inverness.
Mainly because if something needs doing, there is a fair chance that it would be under warranty.
I've also asked them to change the brake fluid. I'm not sure on this . Citroen service book say's it should be changed every two years.Now in 46 years of owning cars, I have NEVER had brake fluid changed, apart from maybe back in the days of Girling and Lockheed fluid, when bleeding the brakes after a shoe change, I might have managed to completely bleed out the old stuff.

Does anyone change the fluid as a matter of course, and does it make a big difference.? My brakes seem OK, but I suppose as they get softer I don't really notice too much.
Rick.

2013 Citroen DS 5 D/Sport
2007 Renault Clio Campus sport. 1.2l

Sometimes the change doesn't work.
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Re: MOT coming up. Fluid change?

Post by myglaren »

They will test the brake fluid for water absorption and advise that it be changed when it reaches a certain level as described by the MOT test manual.
Haven't had mine done in ages though - not with the two C5s as far as I know.
waynedance

Post by waynedance »

I change mine every 3 years but I do work at a garage which makes it free and easier.
Volvo S80 D5.........
C5 2.2HDi Exclusive 2003 manual (now gone).
2009 Renault Megane, the misses drive.
Had a 1988 BX 19TRS Auto many moons ago.
Forgive any spelling mistakes, it's the phone not me.
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

Nothing in the MOT about checking the water content of the brake fluid....

2 problems with 'wet' fluid - 1) it can boil if you work it hard (or you've got a dragging brake), which leads to interesting moments when the pedal goes to the floor (been there, done that!) or 2) it can allegedly corrode the inside of sensitive ABS components (more likely on a modern car).

No idea whether 2 years is really appropriate on modern fluids or not - garage may have a spectroscope they can check it with. It's reportedly a money spinner for garages - suck the fluid out of the tank, stick new in, then open all the bleed screws into pots and let it gravity drain whilst you get on with the rest of the service - then charge the punter an hour's labour :lol:
Richard W
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Hmmm.
Last car it was done on was my Accord, in for MOT and they said they had checked it and it was a fail so had flushed and refilled with new.
A very reliable testing station too.
That was about 12 years ago now though.
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

You were had.... 8-)
Richard W
qprdude
My Cars: Renault 5 TS, Renault 14ts, Citroen C5 Mk1, Renault Clio sport, Renault Laguna Privilege. Citroen C5 X7 Exclusive. Citroen DS5 D/sport . And around 25+ other brands from Morris Oxford to S Type jag and most things between.

Post by qprdude »

Cheers Steve.
I've asked them to flush it anyway. I just wanted to know if I'm wasting money. I didn't know they tested it at MOT . Never heard of that before. Maybe I should just ask them to do it if it actually needs it.
The thing is, the brakes have never been as good as on my last car, but that was a 1.9 TiD Vector Sport , and a much lighter car.

Wayne, it's not being done as part of a service, just a stand alone along with an MOT.
My main concern was if the fluid had water (corrosive) or air bubbles( spongy). I don't do a massive amount of miles, but I do a few longish (1300+ miles) motorway journeys a year and I like to keep up with motorway traffic. Good brakes are a must with the current tendency to give you clearance of a few feet before cutting in front.
Rick.

Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

myglaren wrote:They will test the brake fluid for water absorption and advise that it be changed when it reaches a certain level as described by the MOT test manual.
There's nothing in the MOT test about water in brake fluid, and I've never had a car or motorbike tested for it in 25 years. I changed the DRK fluid about a month ago, the Berlingo was done about 6 months ago. I've got one of those ezibleed things, makes it a doddle.
waynedance

Post by waynedance »

Yeah not part of mot test......
Volvo S80 D5.........
C5 2.2HDi Exclusive 2003 manual (now gone).
2009 Renault Megane, the misses drive.
Had a 1988 BX 19TRS Auto many moons ago.
Forgive any spelling mistakes, it's the phone not me.
qprdude

Post by qprdude »

northern_mike wrote:
myglaren wrote:They will test the brake fluid for water absorption and advise that it be changed when it reaches a certain level as described by the MOT test manual.
There's nothing in the MOT test about water in brake fluid, and I've never had a car or motorbike tested for it in 25 years. I changed the DRK fluid about a month ago, the Berlingo was done about 6 months ago. I've got one of those ezibleed things, makes it a doddle.

Did it make a difference?
Rick.

Northern_Mike

Re: Re: MOT coming up. Fluid change?

Post by Northern_Mike »

qprdude wrote:
northern_mike wrote:

Did it make a difference?
Honestly?

No.

The fluid that came out was obviously slightly dirtier than that which went in but I didn't notice any difference in braking power or pedal feel.
qprdude

Post by qprdude »

OK. That's good to know. There's so much confusing opinions out there. Some "experts" say 30,000 miles or every two years but as I've never changed brake fluid, I'm sceptical. At just under £50 for a fluid flush, I would expect at least a small difference in braking.
I never thought of it until I read the service schedule and considering the old Girling/Lockheed system was about as watertight as a sieve at the reservior, I am beginning to think of the flush as a nice little earner for garages.
Rick.

Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

I suppose the bits of crud suspended in the brake fluid, could in (a lot of?) time cause some scoring or damage somewhere in the system, but I'm yet to hear of old fluid causing such a thing, or total failure. The fluid in the DRK was at least 14 years old. It was a bit grubby, that's for sure, but bear in mind the braking system is from a 1978 car with drum brakes and a girling master cylinder. It still made bog all difference. New shoes made a difference, but not new fluid!
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

I've always thought the reasons for changing DOT4 fluid were:

1) To prevent too much build up of absorbed moisture in the fluid which will lead to vapour lock during prolonged heavy braking, (been there done that, not fun!! :shock: )

2) To replace the corrosion inhibitors that eventually wear out. (Same reason you want to change coolant)

Unless you're in a vapour lock situation the old and new fluid shouldn't "feel" any different when you brake, but you may be able to brake hard for longer (descending a hill while towing etc) without problems on the fresh moisture free fluid.
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive
qprdude

Post by qprdude »

I never tow anything, and I tend not to be hard on the brakes over long periods. (emergency braking happens, but very seldom). I'm usually looking well ahead and slowing down a fair bit before brakes are needed. I may just save the £50 for something more worthwhile. Any suggestions?
Rick.