MOT fail fluid leak

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

kookysaphire

MOT fail fluid leak

Post by kookysaphire »

Hi
My xantia failed the MOT today due to a fluid leak front passenger side, does anyone no where it maybe coming from and a cure.Please help[:(]
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

There is no absolute pointer to such a problem - especially on a hydraulic sprung Citroen.
You have hi-pressure hydraulic lines for the front brakes & for the front suspension McPherson strut.
You have to investigate further/deeper the problem - either by yourself or a garage.
It MAY be the low pressure hydraulic overflow return rubber hoses attached to the suspension strut. These rubber hoses have a harsh life from the road environment - and the rubber detoriates over the y's.
Easy to recognise when the front wheel is turned to end stop either side. A dual small dia rubber hose is attached to the rear of the suspension strut tube - approx halfway up.
If you find this is the problem - it's best to replace at both wheel's sides - since the opposite side would not be far behind.
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

ISTR that the high pressure feed to the front LH strut is a problem and can chafe through - although this would normally make for a BIG leak. Have a good look round, it will probably be the return hose.
Homer
My Cars: Current:
Volvo V60 D4 180

Previous:
BX16RS (two of),
BX19TZI,
Xantia 2.0i saloon,
Xantia 2.0 Exclusive CT turbo Break,
Peugeot 807 2.0 HDi 110,
Renault Grand Scenic, 2.0 diesel (150bhp)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi 160 which put me off French cars possibly forever

Post by Homer »

I've had one fail for the return hose before.
wrinklet1
My Cars:

Post by wrinklet1 »

KOOKY,
When you say a fluid leak front passenger side, is it from the rear of the engine bay area???
If the leak is from the passenger side you may have over filled the LHM reservior. This is easily over filled, put your car in high position with your engine running and check the LHM level, if the float doesn't move down, tap the view dome, if it still doesn't move, try draining some fluid out using a tube and a clean jar or similar to drain into. The float should drop down now. Hose that area of the engine bay and under the car and then look for leaks, Hopefully it may not be there.
Good luck
Paul
PS make sure you don't get LHM onto your brake discs...