Misty windscreen

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Jez

Misty windscreen

Post by Jez »

I am sure I have seen something on the forum somewhere abotu this, but the inside of my windcreens get so misty this time of year. I am forever wiping them or having the air con on cold to clear them and its freezing. Drive a Xantia - any tips?
KAD

Post by KAD »

Water leak and hence damp carpets. Or a failing heater matrix which is the only time mine did that!
davek-uk
My Cars:

Post by davek-uk »

Or when you have the selector in recycle. DOH! I had to have the a/c on for a whole day until I noticed... It didn't help that getting in and out of the car in the rain just made it damper inside.
BonceChops
My Cars:

Post by BonceChops »

has anyone tried any of the anti-mist products on their windscreens?
mark_sp

Post by mark_sp »

Jez
I have the same problem. I have water ingress into the passenger footwell. The carpets are dry to the touch because they have a waterproof backing and the water is getting in behind. You have to pull the door seal off at the bottom of the doorway to release the carpet and then push it into the car a little, you can then get your hand under.
I believe the solution is a new windscreen seal, I've been quoted about £100 fitted but I'm not having the job done until the summer, if I still have the car. Until then I'm doing a once weekly mop up of the excess water by lifting the carpet at the sill and forcing a towel under.
Like you I also run the air con to demist, you can have heat on at the same time though.
Mark
Homer
My Cars: Current:
Volvo V60 D4 180

Previous:
BX16RS (two of),
BX19TZI,
Xantia 2.0i saloon,
Xantia 2.0 Exclusive CT turbo Break,
Peugeot 807 2.0 HDi 110,
Renault Grand Scenic, 2.0 diesel (150bhp)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi 160 which put me off French cars possibly forever

Post by Homer »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by BonceChops</i>

has anyone tried any of the anti-mist products on their windscreens?
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Yes, many years ago. Maybe they have improved these days but I found that dust stuck to it and could only be removed with white spirit.
andyg

Post by andyg »

Anti-mist products??
I have a Lancia Stratos which as soon as you sit in it - it steams up. I would love a product that keeps the windscreen clear.
"Rain-X " is an excellent Product, so good that you rarely need the wiper/s in the rain but their other product "Anti-Fog" seems pretty dire and can make matters worse.,
BonceChops
My Cars:

Post by BonceChops »

Do they make a Rain-X & Anti-Fog remover for you then?
Sl4yer
My Cars:

Post by Sl4yer »

I've found the anti-fog stuff to be very effective as long as you don't put too much on. Thats the tricky bit, given that you can't see where you've done and where you haven't.
I also use Rain Wizard (similar to Rain-X, but it comes in an attractive pink container [:I] ). Its great, really helps cut down on motorway spray.
davey
My Cars:

Post by davey »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Jez</i>

I am sure I have seen something on the forum somewhere abotu this, but the inside of my windcreens get so misty this time of year. I am forever wiping them or having the air con on cold to clear them and its freezing. Drive a Xantia - any tips?
davey
My Cars:

Post by davey »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Jez</i>

had similar problem with a xantia. it turned out to be the rear light cable loom trapped in the lens rubber seal allowing water to get into boot and eventually rear footwells.
wrinklet1
My Cars:

Post by wrinklet1 »

Hi, Remove the wiper arms and then the black trim thats stuck to the windscreen, you will then be able to get your fingers up and under the bottom of the windscreen, pump acrylic filler or silicone sealant under and up behind the glass at the bottom. this should stop the water leak.
Paul
Stuart McB
My Cars:

Post by Stuart McB »

Evey car I've ever owned or driven including van's and lorries have steamed up as soon as I have gotten in I put it down to that some people are warmer than others and this just aggravates the damp / cold air in a car. The wife has a really nice Focus Zetec with all the bits put you even mention water and it's all over in side it mist's up quicker than young childrens eyes when dumbo falls from the train and can't find his mum. All this said my old ZX td has yet to mist up half as bad as all the others. I do put the rear de-misster on first thing but so far that's it. I also have the blower on no lower that number 2 as this seems to keep the air just right for me.