C5 rear spheres

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

john alexander
My Cars:

C5 rear spheres

Post by john alexander »

Hi , It's time to change the rear spheres on my 06 plate C5 estate . I've done this on the Xantias but what is the procedure on the C5 .
Can the struts be removed with the spheres still attached . Do you have to crack the seal with the suspension on high .
Can someone enlighten me. john.
KP
My Cars:

Re: C5 rear spheres

Post by KP »

Struts cant be removed with spheres attached.

Getting the spheres off will be a mission IME as the differing metals react and weld themselves together almost.

A very very thin blade cutting into the surface between the metals could help but destroys the strut as well.

Crack it on high then use the lexia to de-pressurise the system.

I got a second hand set from a breakers yard and they ended cutting them out from the strut holder.
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

KP wrote:
Crack it on high then use the lexia to de-pressurise the system.
If you don't have lexia just open the bleed nipple on the T piece by the rear height sensor, it's far easier & quicker to do it this way if you are already under there anyway. Personally if it's just a sphere change I find just dropping it into low setting alone is just fine, very minimal LDS loss.
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

There is a chap on ebay makes an excellent wrench for removing them, didn't have any problem at all with mine from my 2001 estate, as the tool has such a good grip on the sphere a sharp blow with a hammer will release it. Make sure you specify the C5 type as the older one is to small.

I would go with wheeler on bleeding, if you use a length of tube and a clean container you can recycle the LDS fluid.

Peter