how to remove the xantia cool fan motors

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

jacksun1987

how to remove the xantia cool fan motors

Post by jacksun1987 »

Hi git a hdi xantia with aircon want to remove the motors for the cooling fan and test them we thought bout taking the fan blades off but there a bugger to get off as well
Can we test them without taking motors off the car thanks
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Re: how to remove the xantia cool fan motors

Post by RichardW »

http://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/v ... hp?t=35706" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Richard W
jacksun1987

Post by jacksun1987 »

Got one nut off can't get anything behind it the only thing is to saw a spanner in half by the looks of it
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

I use a specially modified 10mm 1/4" drive socket with a hexagon ground onto it so it can be used with a cut-in-half 13mm ratchet spanner...

There's not room between the fan motor nuts and the A/C condenser to get an ordinary socket and ratchet in there and nor, for me at least, for a 10mm cranked ring - hence the specially modified tools I use.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
jacksun1987

Post by jacksun1987 »

Update we caught the front rad gas came out of it think directive aircon one we hope is there any way taking the front rad off with out pulling the car to bit's
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Yep, that’s the aircon condenser written off :evil:

To get at it the whole front of the car needs to come off. Not a trivial job..
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
jacksun1987

Post by jacksun1987 »

Knowing my luck if I had the motors working I would have had lovely aircon could you post me the tools what you had to do the job then when I'm done ull post you then back
jacksun1987

Post by jacksun1987 »

We are getting sonewhere git a t bar fille that down with a 10 mm socket the git another 10 mm socket fille the edges down to fit a spanner on it
jacksun1987

Post by jacksun1987 »

Got the right one off that's working can't get the left one off the nuts have rounded
Flat Eric

Post by Flat Eric »

I managed to get these fans off by lifting the springs holding the rad and pushing it back which then gave me enough space to gently push back the condenser to get a 1/4" ratchet with 10mm socket in.

The 1/4" (square drive size) sockets are 6 sided so better for not rounding nuts off and once on give better grip.

I'd try this method first with the 10mm socket and if the nuts are quite rounded try a 3/8" (3/8" socket flat size, 1/4" square drive size) 6 sided instead. Keep the socket on the ratchet and rotate the ratchet/socket into the recess and it will go in with the space you have to play with.

It will also help the removal process if you get some Q10 on the bolts to help release any corrosion.

If you've never used Q10 you'll find it here : http://www.qoileurope.com/ProdQ10.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ,......it basically wipes the floor with PlusGas. Q20 (in the same range as Q10) is brilliant stuff as well and basically does all the things WD40 claims to do.