2006 - C5 Exclusive Headlight Washer Nozzles

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

C5-owner
My Cars:

2006 - C5 Exclusive Headlight Washer Nozzles

Post by C5-owner »

All,

This is my first post - so please be gentle!

I own an 06 plate, C5 Exclusive and I'm having some trouble with it's headlight washer jets.

My car failed it's MOT because these were described on the failure notice as 'obviously defective' - because after squirting, they didn't retract fully into the bumper.

Each head stayed out about 10 - 15 mm, but only when the car is stationary, a slight press (and I mean slight) and they settle home.
If they squirt during driving - they are always fully recessed In the bumper when I stop (air pressure?).

So, the reason for my post -

I want to replace them to get the MOT passed, I can't seem to get used ones anywhere (rocking horse doo-doo is easier to get) and I'm not paying Citroen prices for new ones.
I do know that they are also Peugeot marked parts.
Does anyone know the Peugeots that they are/were fitted to or the part numbers (I don't want to have to drop the bumper again)?
It might refine my search options and give me more scope with the local car recyclers.

Thank you all in advance,

Craig.
vborovic
Locked user account
My Cars: A used Citroen

Re: 2006 - C5 Exclusive Headlight Washer Nozzles

Post by vborovic »

Have you tried cleaning them (air/water stream) when you pull them out, maybe something's clogging the retract tube. How do they work in winter, normally, or are they more stuck than during summer?
C5-owner
My Cars:

Post by C5-owner »

To be honest, until they failed the MOT - I never paid them much heed.
I never even notice them working normally.
I did give them a clean when I had the bumper off on Saturday as the pistons/tubes were a bit gritty, just still not retracting fully.
KP
My Cars:

Post by KP »

loads of wd40 sprayed in there when you pull them out and exercise them and that should do it. will just be road grime that's built up in there.

If they fail you could just disconnect them and drive somewhere else for the MOT and jobs a good en...
C5-owner
My Cars:

Post by C5-owner »

Thought of that already but HID Headlights mean washers are a legal and MOT requirement!

But will try some WD-40.
SaabC5
My Cars: 09 C5 X7 2.0Hdi Exclusive

Post by SaabC5 »

Silicon spray works a treat on sticky pop up washer jets. I found WD40 works temporarily but they soon stick again, silicon worked a treat on my Vel Satis ones.
09 C5 X7 2.0Hdi Exclusive in Perla Nera black (the best colour) :wink:
KP
My Cars:

Post by KP »

Common misconception. HID's do not legally require that washers be fitted!

Washer mere only need testing if fitted.

If the washer pipe is disconnected they wont pop up :)

A length of washer tube and a connector and job done :)
dnsey

Post by dnsey »

Provided they actually wash the lights effectively (and don't present a hazard to pedestrians), I don't see why failure to retract should be an MOT failure point. Surely the retraction feature is merely aesthetic, to avoid having 'stalks' protruding from the bumper all the time?
vborovic
Locked user account
My Cars: A used Citroen

Post by vborovic »

Do you have HIDs or standard xenons on the car (just to check)? I'm guessing the MOT failed because you can't have any non-standard parts protruding from the car, meaning if the washers are meant to be closed, they're meant to be closed as a neutral position ... stupid, yes (IMO) ... I think it's not about the HID or xenon, but rather are the headlamps plastic or glass, I think if they're glass, they should definitely have a wash system (jets or like on the older cars, wipers + jets) ...
C5-owner
My Cars:

Post by C5-owner »

All,

I cleaned and oiled my pistons and now they seem to be working a lot more smoothly.
But they still don't close properly as the passenger side is losing a lot of water from the piston itself now (seal gone?).

Now, IMHO, I think that;

There is a lower water pressure in both pistons when in operation (due to passenger side seal) - insufficient to allow them to extend to their fullest capacity (which they don't).
Due to this, the internal springs (which retract them after squirting) aren't being compressed enough to generate the necessary pull to retract the nozzles into the bumper.

Can someone offer an opinion to this theory?

As to the requirement for the sprayers, my garage told me:
If they are fitted, either in build or as a mod. they MUST work correctly and as designed, this goes for ANY aspect of the external lighting system, front, sides and rear.

This I knew, however, I didn't think it applied to the washer jet systems??
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

Part number is 6438 P1 - £65.70 each, without the nozzle on the top! Also used on Cit C4 / Pug 307 (facelift), 1007, 207 (A7), 607 (Facelift). Pug dealer price is the same, unsurprisingly :lol:

I'm sure there was a thread on here somewhere that someone had managed to fix them.... could you rig up an auxiliary spring to pull them down?
Richard W
KP
My Cars:

Post by KP »

If they dont work they wouldn't know they were there are many many cars have blanking plates for them these days but dont fit them.

If you push them down and disconnect the plug on the washer pump for them they wont pop up.

If yours are leaking water the spring down wont occur as it relies on them being at full height to easily retract. In driving they will likely fall back down as they get shaked about during driving on our lovely smooth English roads...