Xantia V6 Power Steering Pipe

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

DHallworth
Donor 2023
My Cars:

Xantia V6 Power Steering Pipe

Post by DHallworth »

I need to make a new power steering pipe for the V6 Xantia as the one on my breaker was rotten.

Unfortunately it was only a £15 pipe with it was available but it's NFP now.

It's no. 3 in the picture below:

The flares on them look like standard brake pipe flares... Does anyone know what size the unions are or what the exact flare is?

Thanks in advance.

David.
'98 Xantia Activa V6 :-D
'00 XM V6 Exclusive
'09 C5 2.7 HDi Exclusive
‘10 C5 3.0 HDi Exclusive
'12 C6 3.0 HDi Exclusive
'15 C4 BlueHDi Feel
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

If it's not an AN flare (37°) it will be a 45° flare; you will probably need heat to form a double flare.
DHallworth
Donor 2023
My Cars:

Re: Xantia V6 Power Steering Pipe

Post by DHallworth »

It's more the size of the union I need Adam.

I'll probably flare it in the same cupranickel pipe that I do the brake pipes in as it looks to be a similar size. It looks to be a different size from a standard hydraulic pipe flare.

David.
'00 XM V6 Exclusive
'09 C5 2.7 HDi Exclusive
‘10 C5 3.0 HDi Exclusive
'12 C6 3.0 HDi Exclusive
'15 C4 BlueHDi Feel
evilclive

Post by evilclive »

Did you get anywhere with this?

My HDi has just been condemned - I'm told the pipe is unavailable and they can't make one. Is that really it, or are there people who can breathe life back into it?
KP
My Cars:

Post by KP »

Have you tried just phoning plaides and asking them as it may work out a lot cheaper to get them to make one up and send it to you?
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

Struth. Are there no "bush mechanics" left in the UK? :shock:

All you need is two suitable ends with 2-3 inches of tube and a usable flare nut... Then braze or silver solder on your donor pipe, sleeving is simplest for joins; bend to suit. If the pipe is firmly clamped you can even use copper for the sleeves when between fixing points.
KP
My Cars:

Post by KP »

There are a few still around that don't rely on a laptop to fix a car but I was simply thinking of money in terms of time messing doing it :)

Also I'm curious what the function of the block on it is for.. I have a suspicion it's a damper of sorts to absorb some of the shock loading the pipe would get...
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

You mean Part 4? It's just a rigid union. There's a damping orifice in the short pipe between pump and union.
evilclive

Post by evilclive »

Pleiades can replace the offending rusty 4.5mm pipe if I send the old one back (the fatter pipe from the pump, rubber pipe between then the 4.5mm which goes to the rack. Not sure how that works with that picture - are pipes 1 and 3 actually one on other cars?)

Downside is it means it's a job which takes two goes, which will put off my friendly local mechanic as he's not going to want the car up on his ramp for a week doing nothing and moving it will be a pain. (take pipe off, take belt off pump, drive with no hydraulics to a suitable resting place?)
KP
My Cars:

Post by KP »

Nope, I mean part 3 Adam.
In sure it acts as a damper of sorts.
KP
My Cars:

Post by KP »

It's the best way to go really as you know the pipe is perfectly sized and should last just as log as the original of not longer so in all likeliness will outlast the car :)
DHallworth
Donor 2023
My Cars:

Post by DHallworth »

The block is just a piece of plastic that can be slid up and down and unclipped from the pipe. It's a similar style to a ferrite coil found on some audio cables (without the magnets though!)

David.
'00 XM V6 Exclusive
'09 C5 2.7 HDi Exclusive
‘10 C5 3.0 HDi Exclusive
'12 C6 3.0 HDi Exclusive
'15 C4 BlueHDi Feel
Flat Eric

Post by Flat Eric »

I just 'fixed' my power steering pipe on my Activa that had corroded and burst on a corner.

I cut out the rotten part and added in a cupro section using 4.5mm compression joints so no need to mess about with flares.

The hardest part of it was threading the new section around the existing pipework under/around the N/S wheelarch.

If i hadn't been doing it in the week after work where it took two evenings (as i was being ultra careful) it could easily have been done in one go which is what it looks like is most important to you.
evilclive

Post by evilclive »

I've just been measuring it all up for replacement and yes, the N/S wheelarch looks like the worst bit :-)

A gentleman on Retro Rides is offering a three-piece replacement. A lot of the 4.5mm is pretty manky, so I think doing that may be a better plan than plumbing in a patch - though it's still tempting.
Flat Eric

Post by Flat Eric »

I looked at the Retro Rides post as well but the pictures being missing put me off and i just went and did my own thing.

I plan on pulling the engine out next year so i'll replace the pipe then (£160!!!) as it will be easier.