Starter motor clickery!

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Timmo
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 58 partner teepee outdoor hdi.
58 C2 Code in black! Fun!

Starter motor clickery!

Post by Timmo »

Starter motor started clicking a little lately, had sporadically done so over the past 6 months, but nothing too bad, on the weekend clicked a dozen times before firing, and again today,
figured id chuck in a relay to save changing the starter incase was iffy wiring (disturbed when box was out in january), but sadly, with a decent sized relay (70amp) its still clicking away, even with my eldest daughter turning the key and me tapping the solonoid with a hammer and length of 1"sq batten it took over a dozen goes to fire!
*edit* i forgot to add, even with a direct feed from the battery the starter clicks,
question is, Am i right in thinking with this that the starter is toast???

many thanks in advance from a frustrated Timmo! Another 10 minute job turned into 2 hours!!
After All, I am the Cornish one!

'58 C2 Code
'58 partner teepee outdoor
Xaccers
My Cars:

Re: Starter motor clickery!

Post by Xaccers »

It's either starter motor or battery from my experience, so how well is the battery holding voltage?
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
Timmo
(Donor 2022)

Post by Timmo »

i've not jad any moments where i've questioned the battery since we've owned it, has Always fired straight off everytime, normally has 2-3 days no use during the week, can try attaching the wifes to it when she gets in, but it Does fire up when the solonoids had enough bashes! ;-)

'58 C2 Code
dnsey

Post by dnsey »

How's the earthing?
Timmo
(Donor 2022)

Post by Timmo »

Seemingly good, again, not had to investigate any earthing issues,
i've a nearly new starter on the way, hopefully be here bu the weekend,

'58 C2 Code
bxzx16v
My Cars: Past Frenchies , 4xBx16v,1xBxGti,1xBxTzd,2xZx Volcanes,1xZx reflex,1xPug 405mi16, 3x Xantia 1.9td's,1x Xantia activa, 2x Renault 25 V6 turbo, 1 Zx16v ,1 Pug 406 V6 coupe ,1x C8 , 1x Berlingo van , 1x Xanti 2.1td , 1x Renault Laguna 3

Post by bxzx16v »

My old xantia 1.9td had the same problem Timmo, you could go for a few weeks without a problem then click, it would always fire after that though. It was a taxi and had done 200k so can't complain. The new starter sorted it. How's the valver going Timmo?

Mark
2009 Landrover Freelander 2 TD4se (killed an Audi) , sadly now gone .
2012 Landrover Freelander 2 SD4 AUTO Love it . Now gone .
2014 Ford Bmax 1.0 Ecoboost Zetec . Fantastic little machine .Gone now.
2014 Ford Focus 2.0 Tdci Zetec S with the French heart.
Timmo
(Donor 2022)

Post by Timmo »

Yeah, the valver! Erm! Currently its going Green! ;-) :-D :-P

'58 C2 Code
Stewart(oily)
My Cars: Citroens since 1990, BX Diesel, GTI, TZD with 1.9 TD running extra boost before it was fashionable!, ZX Volcane TD, S2 Xantia break 1.9TD, Xantia HDI 110, currently zipping about in a C2 Diesel. C2 died from the dreaded worm, C3 Picasso HDI Exclusive, the adventure continues.

Post by Stewart(oily) »

Assuming the battery is properly charged It might be worth pulling the starter off and giving the pinion and shaft a clean off with some solvent, that can effect a cure, failing that another starter may be in order.
BXs since 1993 built 1.9 TZD turbo, got a S2 Xantia estate, brilliant car! 2013, Xantia HDI LX 110 2000 new car with 122,000, l C2 HDI Rusty rocket, C3 Picasso HDI new to me.
sparksie
(Donor 2016)
My Cars:

Post by sparksie »

Stewart(oily) wrote:Assuming the battery is properly charged It might be worth pulling the starter off and giving the pinion and shaft a clean off with some solvent, that can effect a cure, failing that another starter may be in order.
Yes, but if you're going that far, it has to be worth having a peep at the solenoid cap, surely.
It could be pitted contacts, which would be a very cheap fix!
What sort of click is it?
Repeated click-click-click for as long as you hold the key?
Single click when you try to start followed by a softer one when you release the key?
Single click, with all lights extinguishing for a few seconds, with all electrics apparently dead for the same time?
Is it a solid clunk, that sounds like full pinion engagement, or a lighter click caused by the pinion bouncing off the edge of a ring-gear tooth and failing to engage?
All are indicative of different faults, not all within the starter/solenoid...
Sparksie

2000 Xantia 1.9TurboD
Timmo
(Donor 2022)

Post by Timmo »

Its the usual failing starter click-dead-off its not the rapid machine gunning style of a nearly got enough in it battery,
It is the click same as i've had in both my 309gti and the Bx, one was fixed with a relay (bx) the other not as the ignition feed was a constant feed for some reason! :-O
Was very frustrated earlier as should have been a 10 minute job to wire in the relay but turned into an hour and half of sorting, checking, swearing, hitting with hammer, recruiting my eldest to come and turn the key whilst I hit it with a hammer! Then having the Other daughter want to come round too, and then the Dog needing to be out the front or he would Howl down the side of the house! Hahaha! Was a fitted for 3 months New started on a xanty td on ebay for good money so thought Sod it, so just waiting on that now, hopefully be here for the weekend, as half term and no means of escape is a pain! ;-) still atleast one of them'll be there to turn the key whilst I smack at it in various car parks around and about! :-D ;-) :-P

'58 C2 Code
sparksie
(Donor 2016)
My Cars:

Post by sparksie »

Ok
Smacking it will only be effective if you have either a brush, or brushes almost gone, or badly pitted solenoid contacts, or a partially seized plunger.
The likelihood is that the starter is fundamentally good, if belting it with something persuades it to work.
Probably worth fixing, even if your eBay one gets you out of trouble.
I sympathise with you, regarding your day's activities.
Children and dogs have a terrible need to be involved, that increases in direct proportion to your need for them to leave you alone!
Sparksie

2000 Xantia 1.9TurboD
Timmo
(Donor 2022)

Post by Timmo »

Haha! That they Most certainly Doo!! - more So when youve a completely Stupid dog! Lol! Beagle whippet cross with improving seperation anxiety! ;-)

I Almost removed it and checked it over but thought better of it as atleast it Can be used still! ;-) But as soon as i've the new one in and working i'll strip the oldun down and have a look!!! Especially as Half term Will be over then too! :-D

'58 C2 Code
Timmo
(Donor 2022)

Post by Timmo »

Ebay starter has arrived, turns out to be a Valeo unit! So am a happy chappy! Just need the body to allow me to fit it! The day after mine stopped, the wifes exhaust went on the fiat, so has taken its toll on the shoulders and back! ;-)

'58 C2 Code
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

Swapping it on the TD isn't that bad a job.
Disconnect your battery.
Remove the python like induction top induction pipe, split the other on and tie it back out of the way, remove airbox and the braket it sits on.
If your gearbox still has the plastic cover remove it.
There's 2 8mm allen bolts and a 15/17mm bolt.
An 8mm ball ended allen key and 8mm ratchet spanner is what I use to remove the top allen bolt as the clutch arm gets in the way.
If memory serves, tilt the contact end up slightly, move it away from the fly wheel and then down and out.

You're not due a cambelt change soon are you? Easy to get to the flywheel timing hole with the starter motor off...
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
Timmo
(Donor 2022)

Post by Timmo »

Popped out and did it whilst the Pain killers took hold and both girls started arguing! ;-)
Air box off and hold the intercooler pipe out the way and comes out fine, much relief now as in and working!
16mm not and bolt for the top one/plastic cover, fortunately I copperslipped them all when putting back together for the clutchj so all came out and on easily,

'58 C2 Code