Gulp!

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Mandrake
My Cars:

Re: Gulp!

Post by Mandrake »

sparksie wrote:Cit nearly gave me a heart attack today.
Running late for an important meeting, I jumped in and turned on the ignition, only to hear "beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep" and see the key light flashing.
Naturally, she wouldn't start.
I have no remote and only one key.
I turned off, removed the key, reinserted it and tried again, thankfully with no problems this time.
I get this from time to time too - maybe once a fortnight it does it to me, causes a momentary panic (especially when I'm running late for work! :lol: ) and then always starts the second time when I remove the key and reinsert it.

I have two different keys and they both do it, I've swapped (for other reasons) the CPH and Engine ECU and it still does it, so my hunch at the moment is that its the transponder antenna on the ignition barrel that is to blame. I may be changing that soon so it will be interesting to see if that fixes it.
I think the time may have come for me to invest in a Diagbox.
I really need to have more than one key and really, given her age and value, would like to disable the immobiliser. I know how to chisel the pump and access the solenoid, but would prefer not to. I'd still have the flashing key symbol and annoying beep to deal with!
You cant disable the immobiliser with a Lexia, the only way is to have the engine ECU reprogrammed by an unlocker.

The Lexia isn't going to tell you a whole lot about the cause of the immobilisation fault either - its either going to say "failed to receive identity from key" (which is what mine says) or "failed to receive response from engine ECU". Those are the two likely causes of the immobiliser failing - either it doesn't pick up the signal from the key, or the engine ECU doesn't respond to the unlock request.
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive
oscar
Location: London near that big building with the flashing light!
My Cars: 2001 Xsara Picasso 2.0 HDi

Post by oscar »

Hi Timpsons cut keys if you have them over there.
you can get the micro switches on flea bay also as just did mine.
there is one selling blank new non remote keys with chip £14 in 3.5 and 4cm length.
Main stealer near me £10 for code! non main stealers £30+ take gumpf with you and 5mins later voila he said.
those replacement bits are a bit hit n miss as a bit too much copy of a copy so have to choose wisely.
you should be able to get a key cut at a "good" locksmiths there are many mobile ones now
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

Note Timpsons won't cut blanks other than their own now - been there tried that recently! I found an independent eventually that did it for me.
Richard W
oscar
Location: London near that big building with the flashing light!
My Cars: 2001 Xsara Picasso 2.0 HDi

Post by oscar »

Heres a few odds i found. http://www.aloi.ie/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. http://www.yelp.ca/search?find_loc=Belg ... locksmiths" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. http://www.irishlocksmiths.ie/auto-locksmiths/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. http://www.yelp.co.uk/biz/car-accessori ... cut-dublin" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

RichardW wrote:Note Timpsons won't cut blanks other than their own now - been there tried that recently! I found an independent eventually that did it for me.
I have an advantage here. A friend of mine works for Timpsons. He suggested I call in at a different branch than his (they cannot cut the X keys used on the Xantia) and mention his name. I did, as well as the fact I have a Lexia, and that branch said they would cut one of their blanks for £20 (and would have their warranty), or would cut one I provided for around £10 - £15, but no warranty. The blade would be of the fixed type, not flip type.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
Eroe

Post by Eroe »

Hi, having just broken my key, I am reading all this key stuff with terror. Have you managed to sort out you key issues? what is your advice about getting a new key for my estate with out a wait of 10 days and a huge main stealer type bill?
:shock:
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

What part of the key has broken, and is any bit still in any mechanism? If the key is the normal folding key design, it is possible to get hold of a replacement blank (you will also need the fixing kit, which you can get from Citroen for a few quid). Can you pop up a picture of the key body?
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

Post by Gibbo2286 »

The guy I mentioned in my earlier post is now shown on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/locksmithscardiff" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
Eroe

Post by Eroe »

Does anyone know where the chip is? Says you can swap, but chip not obvious inside big fob? Got the switch circuit board, has any one got a diag?
Bandit12
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: C5 X7 diesel exclusive

Post by Bandit12 »

This guy was very helpful in getting spare keys with transponder for my C5.

http://www.carkeyhelp.co.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I emailed him a couple of close up pictures of the key from a couple of different angles and I fot teh replacements within a couple of days. All I then needed was a lexia to code each key into the car. Ben82 did mine as he was local to me but I'm fairly confident a main dealer would do the same for a fee.

Bandit
2002 Citroen C5 2.2Hdi exclusive estate (sadly gone) :(
2009 Citroën C5 X7 2.0 hdi (136bhp) exclusive estate (Oh wow what an upgrade) 8-)
jgra1
(Donor 2021)
My Cars: 2010 C5 X7 2.0 hdi 160 exc auto
MG TF 135
Boxer II 2.2 camper conversion
BMW R1200RT
BMW K1300 R
Honda V F R 800 5thG / MT500 Armstrong

Post by jgra1 »

i have a chap locally that cut a key for my c5 .. it was a new unprogrammed key... I then introduced it with lexia and now have 4 keys for the car ;)
one is a blank key he used to cut mine, one was a working key that lost its code, and the other the original service key.. (if anyone wants me to get him to cut a key, send me yours and I will be as quick as I can)

so I can open doors with all 4, and drive with 2..

the reason I wanted a new one was for RCL.. so going off message now, does anyone know how to get rid if the 'not' from the top line of :

am I looking at a second hand BSI unit?

John