xantia cv joint boot replacement

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Raul
My Cars:

xantia cv joint boot replacement

Post by Raul »

Hi

The longer drive axle with intermediate bearing needs a new boot. I read somewhere in this forum that it is possible to take out the drive axle without separating the bottom ball joint. Instead it is possible to separate the hub from the strut.Is this really a simpler way? I also do not have a special tool for separating the ball joint and I read about the risk of damaging the swivel joint in the process.
Citroen gsa 1299 , 1982
Citroen gs 1,2 pallas 1977
Citroen xantia 1,9 td estate 1996
Citroen Xantia 2.0 hdi 90 2000
Stewart(oily)
My Cars: Citroens since 1990, BX Diesel, GTI, TZD with 1.9 TD running extra boost before it was fashionable!, ZX Volcane TD, S2 Xantia break 1.9TD, Xantia HDI 110, currently zipping about in a C2 Diesel. C2 died from the dreaded worm, C3 Picasso HDI Exclusive, the adventure continues.

Re: xantia cv joint boot replacement

Post by Stewart(oily) »

I had mine apart this week, the balljoint seperator tool just would not fit, I removed the nut, levered downwards on the wishbone and gave the side of the taper a sharp tap with a good hammer, I cannot see an easier way.
BXs since 1993 built 1.9 TZD turbo, got a S2 Xantia estate, brilliant car! 2013, Xantia HDI LX 110 2000 new car with 122,000, l C2 HDI Rusty rocket, C3 Picasso HDI new to me.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

You need a big scissor-type balljoint splitter..

The joint, in my experience, must be separated and using the right tool makes it easy enough - just be careful of damaging the rubber boot...

I don't think separating the strut and hub, although not difficult, will give enough room to extract the shaft.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Chris570
(Donor 2020)

Post by Chris570 »

CitroJim wrote:You need a big scissor-type balljoint splitter..

The joint, in my experience, must be separated and using the right tool makes it easy enough - just be careful of damaging the rubber boot...

I don't think separating the strut and hub, although not difficult, will give enough room to extract the shaft.
It won't unfortunately as the next fixed point is the balljoint which is too close to the shaft to give enough movement to let the shaft out. Jim is right, the best way is with a scissor type separater. Apply tension to the joint and then give it a good sharp whack with a hammer on the wishbone and it should fall out.
2006 C5 HDi 170
1998 Xantia Activa S1
1971 D Special
2006 C3 1.6 HDi SX,
CitroJim wrote: I'm a pink fairy
A 1/3 of Team WFA 'Clarkson'
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Good call on the use of a big hammer Chris :-D It's absolutely essential for joint splitting and much else!
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...