Citroen C8 auto gearbox question

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

brightgate
New User

Citroen C8 auto gearbox question

Post by brightgate »

Hi all,

We are first time Citroen owners having only owned various older 4x4's before. We are pretty good with cars and do all of the repairs ourselves. Most recently an engine and auto gearbox change in an Isuzu bighorn.

Anyway, due to our expanding family we needed to get an 8 seater so decided to get either a Citroen C8 or peugeot 807.

Last week we bought a C8 (2004, 2.0 HDI executive automatic) on ebay for a really low price, knowing that there was something wrong with the gearbox. In the listing description the seller stated the following 'all was fine with the car and then just before Easter on the display it came up "gearbox faulty" but still drove ok. Got the mechanic to check it but couldn't prompt it to do it again. However, couple days later it did it again along with a rather nasty clattering coming from the gearbox.'

We bought the car being totally prepared for the fact that it would probably need a new gearbox. However we have got it home and cannot prompt it to make any noise or flash up any warning lights. A drive has shown that when it is totally warmed up it can be a bit jumpy as you slow down, but no noise and no problem changing gears.

So we got a guy (recommended by citroen) out to run diagnostics on it. On one machine he couldn't get anything as the car was apparently missing a code? But on his other machine it didn't show any error codes. He then said that he thought the gearbox may be a robotic gear box (manual with extra electrics to make it into an auto) and in his opinion it was probably the clutch and fly wheel.

Anyway, we have had the car up on ramps and it looks like a standard auto to us, but we have found out that according to the stamp on the gear box it is a replacement fitted after 2009. We have got workshop manuals for the C8 but none mention this gear box- 20TS62. Does anyone know anything about the gearbox, is it an AL4 and is it a standard auto with torque convertor etc or is it a robotic gear box?

Normally we would strip the car down and find out, but this car is a bit new for us and we do not want to strip things down until we really know what we are doing.

If anyone has any info on the gearbox, has any ideas of where we may find out more about the gearbox, or has any ideas about what the fault could be then please shout! We are currently a bit stuck!
miked
My Cars: Xsara SX (2003) Last of the line.

Re: Citroen C8 auto gearbox question

Post by miked »

Hello and welcome.

We also have a 2004 HDi, although it's a manual 807. I don't know much about Auto's but I'm fairly sure it will be an AL4 and almost definitely sure it will have a torque convertor. Someone will hopefully correct me if I'm wrong, but I understand these boxes have their own ECU and more than a few electro-valves. Your first step should be to find someone with a Lexia (Citroen diagnostic interface) to read the gearbox ECU codes. Have a look here http://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/v ... 19&t=29178" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

As you are new to C8 HDi ownership of that era, one other thing I would strongly suggest you do is check the cambelt and if you are unsure if it has recently been changed get it done. The HDi engine normally has a cambelt change interval of 100K miles, but a design flaw in the C8/807 means water can find it's way onto the cambelt causing it to fail early, especially if the damp belt freezes. You will not be able to get the head off easily to repair the engine if it does break. This guy http://www.c8centre.co.uk/insitu.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; seems to do a good trade fixing them but you can save yourself a lot of grief by checking/changing the belt.
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

Post up the last 8 digits of the VIN and we'll confirm the gearbox type.
Richard W
brightgate
New User

Post by brightgate »

According to the Vin number it should have an AL4 in it, but it hasn't got the origianal gear box and the code mentioned above isnt mentioned in any of the AL4 manuals.

Going to give the car a full service and do the cam belt and water pump as well.