C5 Series II Pipes

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

UVG

C5 Series II Pipes

Post by UVG »

Hi All

well its that time of year again....and the C5s just failed its MOT :( one hydraulic pipe from the rear suspension and the two rear brake pipes.

no worries say I just call Pleiades .... but they say the hydraulic pipes on a C5 use a different end to what I'm used to (CX, BX, Xantia, XM) and they don't do them :grr:

so now what? I don't want to go to Citroen unless I have to cos we all know they will charge an arm and a leg

so does any one know if the brake pipes will be something I can get made as the C5 uses a "normal" braking system

and does any one know anything about the hydraulic pipe ends or where I can get some made

any info greatly received

Cheers

UVG
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Re: C5 Series II Pipes

Post by Peter.N. »

If they are not severely corroded give them a clean and grease them.

Peter
UVG

Post by UVG »

its already fail Peter if it doesn't go back with new metal he's not going to pass it

plus to be honest I only bought it last year and plan on keeping it for a while so it will have to be replace sooner or later
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

See this thread: http://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/v ... =3&t=48367" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; where there is a pic of the pipe end in question, and a link to someone that can make them. Don't know about the brake pipes, they might just be 'standard' flares?
Richard W
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

I'm sure that this has been mentioned previously and that C5 are just standard pipes/flares.
qprdude
My Cars: Renault 5 TS, Renault 14ts, Citroen C5 Mk1, Renault Clio sport, Renault Laguna Privilege. Citroen C5 X7 Exclusive. Citroen DS5 D/sport . And around 25+ other brands from Morris Oxford to S Type jag and most things between.

Post by qprdude »

UVG, you dont say where you are in the UK but to be honest, a lot of hot air is expended about making brake pipes. When I worked in the ship building industry, we used to get people come into the workshop with old brake pipes and we checked the flare, and if we had the right flare tool, we made them up there and then. Lots of engineering firms have pipe benders and flaring tool around the place.
We always tried to us Kunifer pipe ,and of course the customer supplied the fittings and unions. Depending on condition, quite often the old fittings could be cleaned up and re-used. Some were so badly pitted that they had to be replaced, but not often, and we always gave the new bits a coat of copper-slip.
Don't know where you are, but it might be worth phoning some local engineering/fabrication shops.
Rick.

2013 Citroen DS 5 D/Sport
2007 Renault Clio Campus sport. 1.2l

Sometimes the change doesn't work.
UVG

Post by UVG »

thanks for the link Richard I contacted the company and ordered all I need plus one I don't and it still came to less that £50 inc p+p guy I spoke to was very helpful i'll come back and give details once I receive them
UVG

Post by UVG »

I did promise to come back with feed back and I have just never got round to it. (hangs his head in shame)
the link Richard gave above shows pics and the company was very helpful. the ends are something unusual and the pipes supplied were actually genuine citroen parts
I found changing them to be very easy compared to the hydraulic pipe I have changed on previous Citroens. The spanner size on this style of pipe is bigger than the usual citroen joint so less chance of rounding of the flats.
the brake pipes were just "ordinary" ends that you might find on any car and were nothing special.
the whole job two brake pipes and two hydraulic pipes (I know they are all hydraulic pipes but you know what I mean) changed and system bled took less than 2 hours

UVG