Rock hard rear suspension Xantia Activa(aka-ungrateful SOAB)

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Xaccers
My Cars:

Re: Rock hard rear suspension Xantia Activa(aka-ungrateful S

Post by Xaccers »

Did you replace the rear hydractive sphere as this is what gives the soft ride.
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
Old-Guy
My Cars: 2011 Grand C4 Picasso VTR+ 1.6HDi in Kyanos Blue
1995 Xantia Estate SX 1.9TD in Vert Vega "The Green Lady" - now owned by XanTom
1998 Xantia 2.1 VXD Estate in Mauritius Blue - R.I.P. (terminal tin-worm)

Post by Old-Guy »

I don't think the A/S sphere can give any bounce simply because of the massive damping effect of the small dia pipe to it.

Xac has a point, but the hydractive sphere is only in circuit when the suspension is in SOFT mode (HARD is the default).

One thing to remember is that air in the HP system causes all sorts of wierd effects; about the only place it can get drawn in is the feed (suction) pipe from the reservoir to the HP pump. The favourite is the connection on top of the reservoir. A dirty pick-up filter only makes matters worse as does low LHM level in the reservoir.
2011 Grand C4 Picasso VTR+ 1.6HDi in Kyanos Blue
1995 Xantia Estate SX 1.9TD in Vert Vega "The Green Lady" - after 11 years now owned by XanTom
1998 Xantia 2.1 VXD Estate in Mauritius Blue - R.I.P. (terminal tin-worm)
wurlycorner
My Cars: Two C5's...
Lots of CXs...
A couple of Xantia...
A C2...
Lots of Prelude's...
And a Sunny!

Post by wurlycorner »

Thanks, done nothing on the Activa since last report - busy taking possession of a new barn to move all my stored ones into one place and stupidly buying (yet another) car last weekend :roll:
The next couple of weekends will be taken up getting my CXs running and moved into the new barn (finally have them all in one place, aside from the Safari which sits on the drive looking very sad for itself) so there won't be any progress for another few weeks, most annoyingly :evil:

If things go according to plan though, I'll have a ramp to stick the bloody thing on, which will make the next jobs much easier...

To answer recent suggestions;
Reservoir filters were cleaned when I hydraflushed it and changed the fluid. It's done less than a thousand miles since then I would guess.

I haven't noticed a problem with the hoses on the reservoir (in fact I think I checked all the connections when I refilled it after the flush and after the last brake bleed?) but will check them again. The only place I have noticed a split on any pipes is in the breather hose from the bottom boot on the rear ram. The rubber nipple on the boot is split where the pipe goes into it, but it isn't leaking.

The pump does weep some fluid from one of the high pressure lines, at the connection into the pump. I changed the seals inside this connection but it made no difference. It's not a leak you can actually see (as in you can't ever see anything flowing/spraying/bubbling etc. out) but you can see LHM has seeped down the bracket, over the alternator housing (not inside) and down the block over time. Just like an engine oil leak really. It doesn't drip. It's annoyance really not something that concerns me and from what I've read, isn't uncommon on these pumps? (obviously 'progress' over the old types on CX's that don't leak ;) )
This was hence my question about bleeding the system after a fluid change - anything else to do other than citerobics and brake bleed?

Yes, rear hydractive sphere was changed (all rear spheres have been changed now since I've had the car).

Thanks all - keep the ideas coming and I'll update on any progress when I get the next chance to get on the SOAB! :D
--
Iain

1x '85 CX GTi Turbo s1 (metallic blue)
2x '85 CX GTi Turbo s2 t1 (metallic silver & grey)
'88 CX GTi Turbo s2 T2 (metallic light blue)
CX DTR T2 Safari (silver)
2x '96 Xantia Activa (Black & metallic green)
'01 C5 2.0 HDi LX Estate (Blue)