Citroen C5 2007 DPF Eolys top-up question (Lexia, Diagbox)

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Marrrrz

Citroen C5 2007 DPF Eolys top-up question (Lexia, Diagbox)

Post by Marrrrz »

Hi, as you can see I'm new to the forum but not new to PSA cars and this C5 is at least my 15th having had a BX, Xantias, 306, 406, 407, other C5s, etc so I am a fan :-)

This car is is a 2007 2.2L HDi, RPO 11053

It failed its MOT on droplinks and a binding breaks, the latter being due to the handbrake cables needing replacement. That was a MASSIVE hassle and yes I had to change the tubes in the end, but that's another story.

I have had the "FAP additive level low" warning for several months now, so thought it was time to sort it out. I have bought the 3L top up kit from Citroen and also a Lexia so I can tell the car that the additive has been topped up. I understand this Mk2 C5 is an all CAN bus vehicle and some of the Lexia interfaces aren;t compatible with it, but luckily the one I have seems to be. Installing the Diagbox software was also a massive hassle and took almost as long as the handbrake cables, but at least in the comfort of the house(!) and it is now running (version 7.36).

My question is what is the correct menu to reset the Eolys counter and what numbers (if any) do I enter. My attempt so far is:

I connect to the car with the Lexia interface, confirm the VIN and to to Diagnose and then Global and it checks and finds all the various ECUs ont he car. Up to this point I'm quite happy that I'm doing things correctly but from now on I'm just guessing! The menu titles are also from memory, so may not be word for word accurate.

I select Ignition from the list of ECUs as that seems to have some DPF related menus in, under "Further particle filter information" it shows an amount under the heading "fluid in particle filter" and also the "level low reached: yes". Going back in the menus I select the only options that look DPF related, but it then tells me that "these settings have no effect for your engine type" the only other DPF related menu higher up in the Leia system tells me that it only applies to cars 2009 or newer and won't let me progress any further, so I went back to the Diagnose --> Global --> Ignition menu and continues past the warning about it not applying to my engine. Now there are two selections, one to say the Eolys has been topped up (obvious choice) and another to say the Eolys tank and pump have been replaced (don't know what this does, possibly it also tries to prime the pump?). Anyway, I tried both these options and despite the Lexia saying the operation had been successful, the level in the "Further particle filter infomation" menu remained the same and the low warning was still "yes" and the warning still came up on the dash when the ignition was turned on.

Now, at at some point I move the car up the road a bit as a better parking space became available. Now I think the car had gone into Economy mode half way though my playing with the Lexia and this would have woken it up again, this may or may not be relevant...

Back to the Lexia and I found another menu to "set Eolys in partifle filter" and I could enter a 4 digit number, which I did. The software said to refer to the help to see what setting should be used, the help showed the value starting at 0 and then slowly increasing as the mileage increased. I have heard that the Eolys fluid slowly ends up in the DPF (as ash I guess?) over the years hence needing to clean or replace the DPF every 80k or so. So this figure seemsed to relate to the amount deposited actually in the DPF and not in the tank, but changing it seemed to change the amount reported in the tank - but the figures don;t match. I entered 2000 and the tank said 2098ml. Anyway, I was playing with this number a couple of times when the amount in the tank went to 0 and wouldn't change again. I was somewhat concerned and continued attempting to fix it for another hour or so - the Lexia was communicating as you could see other values and I could move windows up and down, etc, but the Eolys figure would not change. I tried topping up with 20L of fuel, leaving the cap open for 20 seconds, etc but no change. Anyway, laptop batt was now flat so I went in to charge it.

Later that evening I started the car just to check I hadn't broken it too badly and it started ok. I connected back up and did the "Eolys tank refilled" option and the level stayed at 0. I then changed the "Eolys in DPF" figure to 2000 and the level in the tank changed to 2098 and the warning went away! The DPF figures such as percentage clogged have gone to 0, but the car starts and isn't in limp mode, yet anyway.

So my questions are does anyone know the correct way to reset the DPF with the Lexia? Why does the DPF menu say it doesn't apply to my engine but yet the settings do affect the Eolys level? Is there a counter for Eolys INSIDE the DPF as the menu option clearly states, or is this an error and they actually mean Eolys in the tank - if so why does the help show a level that INCREASES with mileage and doesn't decrease as the fluid is used? Why does the "Eolys tank refilled" option not work and if I do have to put a number in the "Eolys in DPF" box, what number should I put to say the tank is now full?

Sorry for all the questions and thank you for any help in advance which will be most appreciated!
hamster99

Re: Citroen C5 2007 DPF Eolys top-up question (Lexia, Diagbo

Post by hamster99 »

Welcome to the forum.

I will have another read of your post later (when wife not hassling me to cut the grass!!!) but I'm pretty sure that when I refilled my Eoyls tank a few months ago the lexia setting needs to be set to zero as it measures how much fluid has been injected into the system as the only way of telling if your fluid is low. There's no level float etc in the tank itself.

I'll try and fire up the lexia later and have a play to see if I can remember which page etc it is on.

Rob
15 C4 1.6 eHDI 115 Exclusive - better half's
12 RR Westminster 4.4 TDV8 - Gentleman's Club on wheels
05 C5 2.0 HDI 138 Exclusive - gone but not forgotten
05 C5 2.0 HDI 138 VTR - crushed May 2015
Marrrrz

Post by Marrrrz »

Hi Rob,

Lol, at least the weather's good enough to get out and cut the grass. I wouldn't want to get you in trouble, but if you do have a chance to check where the setting is on your Lexia system and also what version it was that would be great thank you. It would also be interesting to see if you get the same warning about it not applying to your engine like I did or not.

I'm away for a few days at the moment, but I'll try and put some screenshots of what I got when I attempted it - probably easier to follow than my rambling description!
Marrrrz

Post by Marrrrz »

Hi, something else I have noticed when playing with the Lexia:

I have turned off the "rear seatbelts not fastened" message that used to annoy me in the BSI, however the multifunction display still shows "breakdown and emergency calls deactivated" and I have to press ESC every time I start the car to see anything else on the display!

I assume I configure this in the multifunction display (MFD) ECU or the radio (which contains a phone) ECU - however both of these fail to communicate to the Lexia. Other than failing to communicate, they apear to work fine, radio and CD player work, radio station is displayed on the MFD, navigation works, MFD shows correct MPG figures and low fuel, etc messages fine. So the radio must be able to communicate to the MFD and the MFD must be able to communicate with the BSI ok - but neither communicate to the Lexia.

Has anyone come across this before?

Any help is very gratefully received!