drive belt 110 hdi xantia t reg

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

jacksun1987

drive belt 110 hdi xantia t reg

Post by jacksun1987 »

Just wondering if you can take the drive belt off with out taking the wheel off ?
As i lost the key lock in wheel nut
Its looking bad need it done asap. Seem to be i line going though the middle of the belt. Where its starting to crack.

thanka
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Re: drive belt 110 hdi xantia t reg

Post by CitroJim »

As the tensioner release is accessed from the top of the engine I reckon it should be possible with a bit of fiddling...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
rory_perrett
My Cars: Xantia Exclusive 110Hdi Estate 1999

Post by rory_perrett »

Yes you can, it would help if you can get the car up on ramps so you can get at the crank pulley from underneath. Don't leave it if you know it's bad. I've had 2 engine failures caused by bits off the auxiliary belt finding their way into cam cover and causing the cam belt to jump a few teeth.
isisalar
My Cars:

Post by isisalar »

Mine's looking a bit suspect too, could anyone say how many hours labour a garage would charge to change the belt?
Here's some pictures https://www.dropbox.com/s/u499zbpim6zgs ... .32.43.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
https://www.dropbox.com/s/p8ef31dywtrj4 ... .32.28.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Do I need to get this done?
Cheers
Paul
Last edited by isisalar on 05 May 2014, 12:32, edited 1 time in total.
J reg 1.9d auto BX first Citroen
M reg 1.9d auto Xantia lx
N reg 1.9 td Xantia VSX Estate
T reg 2.0HDI Xantia Exclusive Estate Present car
M reg 106 diesel red
L reg 106 diesel white
02 Saxo 1.1i desire wife's present car(sadly now very ill cambelt gone- Doh)
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

isisalar wrote:Mine's looking a bit suspect too, could anyone say how many hours labour a garage would charge to change the belt?
If they try charging for more than an hour Paul then they're having a laugh...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
isisalar
My Cars:

Post by isisalar »

Thanks Jim, I'll see what BL auto's say, it's in there on Tues. for some work. I've posted up some pictures since your reply, would value your opinion.
Cheers
Paul
M reg 106 diesel red
L reg 106 diesel white
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

If it is any help, I had my alternator pulley (free-wheel device), camshaft pulley (dual-mass) and the belt changed for £163 including parts.
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

Difficult to tell from your pics Paul - you really need to see the inside of the belt where it is wrapped around the eccentric tensioner pulley. If the V grooves are well cracked then replacement beckons. It's not too difficult - pop out the engine ECU, remove the box (2 10mm bolts in the bottom), lift the tensioner (15mm spanner :roll: ) and pin it back - 4mm bar in the hole. Remove the belt, feed the new one in, put the tension back on, replace the box and ECU. Easy < 1 hour -BUT it might be necessary to adjust the eccentric tensioner to get enough tension or to get the belt back on, depending on how tight the old one was. This needs access from under the wheel arch, but to answer Jacksun's point, it could be with the wheel still on - suspension in high and full RH lock, but it would be a bit awkward!!
Richard W
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Looks quite an elderly belt Paul.. As Richard says, without seeing the V grooves it's hard to tell but judging by the outer appearance I'd be inclined to swap it just for peace of mind...
Jim

isisalar
My Cars:

Post by isisalar »

Thanks Guys
With that BUT, I think I'll leave the job to an expert Richard, the advice much appreciated.
Elderly belt will be replaced Jim.
Cheers
Paul
M reg 106 diesel red
L reg 106 diesel white