xantia fans with aircon treg

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

lurchy666
My Cars: citroen c5 hdi 2.2 auto estate

Re: xantia fans with aircon treg

Post by lurchy666 »

as I said above easiest way to see if the fans turn on and actually work id turn the air con on and they both will come on at low speed, if they don't either the relays are broken or more likely the wiring to the relays is burnt out, have you tried putting a live and negative to the actual fans ( unplug fans and put cables straight to battery) to see if they actually work??? and do the fans spin freely if you poke them with the grill off?? if they don't spin freely they could be seized.
c5 2.2 auto hdi estate 52 reg
jacksun1987

Post by jacksun1987 »

Had the air con on nothing. When i put the demist on or the aircon on The stop light comes on
lurchy666

Post by lurchy666 »

if you put the air con on and the stop light comes on ( windowscreen demist setting automatically puts air con on) it is saying there is an error with your fans or so I've been told, if you know anyone with lexia as your car is a hdi it might be worth getting fault codes read as I'm sure the fans bring up an error code, but i'll try to explain how the fan system works

also unplugging the blue sensor ( bitron sensor) should put the fans on high speed

on the hdi's the fans are controlled by a blue sensor (bitron sensor) on the thermostat housing ( I believe that's were it is) that sends a signal to the ecu to say how hot the engine is, the ecu sends a signal to the fan ecu ( under passenger headlight on a uk modal, black box with bitron written on it) which decides to turn on the fans via the relays ( 3 relays in a triangle on fan cowling, ) also the aircon as soon as it turns on it turns the fans on at low speed and if the pressure sensor in air con says the pressure is to high the fans go into high speed,

on low speed the fan ecu sends a signal to the 1st relay to activate which brings in the left fan relay but the other 2 remain dormant ( middle and right) as the middle relay is already in position to connect the 2 fans in seires which brings the fans on low

on high speed the fan ecu sends a signal to all 3 relays the left one powering the left fan, middle relay changes position to provide an earth to left fan and the right relay powers the right fan as the fan already has an earth,

because of the way the system is wired to give 2 speeds if one fan isn't working (burned out /seized / broken / unplugged/ brokenwire ) and/or the middle relay isn't working ( see link I provided on previous posts or below) you wont get low speed as the middle relay ( which is one you said is corroded) is the relay that changes from low speed to high speed so if the wiring to that relay is corroded you may not get low speed at all, as at low speed it connects both fans together in sieres and high speed provides an earth to the left fan so it can spin at full speed

if the car gets hot enough to go into high speed ( be well over 100) and only the left fan is working but the middle relay ( wires are broken/ corroded) isn't working you wont have any fans at all, depending on what cables are corroded ( according to that link with the wiring diagrams on it)

if it gets hot enough to go into high speed ( it'll be well over 100 on the gauge) and only the right fan is working and middle relay isn't working you'll see only the right fan come on at full speed ( according to that link the right one) because of how its wired up,

but if it is the right fan broken and the relay/ wiring to relay is good you'll get left fan spin up on high speed but you wont get low speed at all

now I've taken all my left/rights from the page below and as that page is for a 306 the xantia could be different but I believe they run the same system for the fans, http://www.peugeotlogic.com/workshop/ws ... fanop1.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
jacksun1987

Post by jacksun1987 »

thanks for that info.
The thing that was corroded. Was the right side bottom pin. What fits in the corrector. We managed to get most of it out. It probably. done to much damage.
lurchy666

Post by lurchy666 »

http://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/v ... =fan+relay" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

have a look at that thread that might help you, I got my wright up above slightly wrong aparantly the hdi's don't have bitron, its all done through the ecu to those relays tho, and the blue sensor if you pull it off should activate high speed
Old-Guy
My Cars: 2011 Grand C4 Picasso VTR+ 1.6HDi in Kyanos Blue
1995 Xantia Estate SX 1.9TD in Vert Vega "The Green Lady" - now owned by XanTom
1998 Xantia 2.1 VXD Estate in Mauritius Blue - R.I.P. (terminal tin-worm)

Post by Old-Guy »

The Fan relays for your car are:
Two off part No 6555 33 Green
One off part no 6555 68 Violet

The relay sockets are integral to the fan wiring harness (part number 1267 56)

It should be obvious from the relay pins which relays fit in which socket, but from the service.citroen diagram they appear to be arranged (looking from the front):

Green Violet
___Green___

I say appear because the service.citroen component diagrams aren't very reliable in terms of shape and location when it comes to wiring and plumbing.
2011 Grand C4 Picasso VTR+ 1.6HDi in Kyanos Blue
1995 Xantia Estate SX 1.9TD in Vert Vega "The Green Lady" - after 11 years now owned by XanTom
1998 Xantia 2.1 VXD Estate in Mauritius Blue - R.I.P. (terminal tin-worm)
jacksun1987

Post by jacksun1987 »

ohh ic theses ones look all the same even the socket looks the same All of mine are black ones Got one in my hand now. We got 2 from a car from scrap yard. I think evern mine have the same numbers on them.

it says 12v 25a 03501 a black one
lurchy666

Post by lurchy666 »

the 2 relays on left and right should be 4 pin relays ( don't know the part numbers off hand think old guy has put them on) and they will be normally open type,

the one in the center has 5 pins and is whats called a changeover relay basically it shunts from one output to another output ( on non French cars normally 87 and 87a) I think on French cars they are numbered 4 and 5 but check that as I'm used to other cars

usually the colours can get changed thorought the years so the colours aren't to important its the part numbers/ pictures that are, as that tells you what relay you've got and more importantly if it can cope with the amperage
sparksie
(Donor 2016)
My Cars:

Post by sparksie »

What's the betting all three have 5 pins on this one?
If they're standard relays, then the coil will be pins 85 and 86. Pin 30 will be connected to pin 87 when energised and pin 87a when not energised.
Usually the coil pins are parallel and opposite each other. Pin 30 is parallel to the other two and perpendicular to the edge of the case. Pin 87 will be the outer of the remaining pins, or the only remaining pin on a 4 pin.
Sadly, there are some variations, so you need to check with a meter, to identify the 85/86 pins, if you can't read the numerals, or if non standard numbering has been used.
Be careful. A relay that fits the socket may not be compatible, electrically.
Also, some 5 pin relays have 87b, rather than 87a. In these, the 87b is generally connected to pin 87, at all times, though I have seen one where it was isolated when not energised. That was a special, though. I had to build a workaround for that, using two relays in its place, having failed to find a suitable replacement in the time available!
Sparksie

2000 Xantia 1.9TurboD
jacksun1987

Post by jacksun1987 »

Its not the relays its the motors
Ones just about works but they need them both to work. If only one work thats would blow as well. Need them both to work. I got told
jacksun1987

Post by jacksun1987 »

Where can I buy some does anyone have some fan motors on here it's for a hdi with air con exclusive t reg
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

No promises, but it might be worth asking citroenxm (Paul) if he has any.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
jacksun1987

Post by jacksun1987 »

What models have the same fan motors would stuff like the 406 306 xersa have the same fan motors Xm etc do the older xantia models have the same
jacksun1987

Post by jacksun1987 »

?
lurchy666

Post by lurchy666 »

all xantias have twin fans so will be the same, but unsure if other modals will have same fans