Xantia Activa failed MOT on rear brakes. IT PASSED!

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Re: Xantia Activa failed MOT on rear brakes. IT PASSED!

Post by CitroJim »

Excellent news it's passed Chris :-D

I agree a hard choice but just leave the Activa alone for a few weeks and then go back to it.. The decision will be easier then...

One thing I really appreciate is the lovely ride on rubbish roads coupled with taut handling...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
chrisjvm

Post by chrisjvm »

Thanks Jim....
I'll give it some thought.
I'm suprised you've got time for a Volvo though!
I'm renovating a house at present so it comes in really handy..
The handling was a bit scary in the wet when I first got it as it had cheap tyres on it.
I invested in a set of Michelin Pilot Sport 3s which transformed the road holding even if they did cost nearly as much as the car! The fronts are nearly scrubbed already after 5k .... Oh well.... Fwd + torque costs ... TYRES!

Cheers Mike ... I think you're right Re the rear ballast !
'96 Volvo 855 T5 auto
'97 Xantia Activa
'89 VW T25 Westfalia California
'89 VW LT Westfalia Florida
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

I have plenty of time for a hot Volvo Chris.. The T5 is quite a beast..

I've owned two Volvos in the past. A 144 in the 80s when I was in Cyprus and a time-expired 340 in the 90s when I was broke.

Both served admirably but the 340 has the distinct honour of being the only car to truly strand me when it suffered terminal prop-shaft failure in Bicester...

Every time I or the girls pass the spot we all remember that fateful wet night just opposite RAF Bicester...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
chrisjvm

Post by chrisjvm »

My sister bought a new 340 DL in 1986 ...
She used to let me use it occasionally for long journeys,
It had the Daf transmission... After stepping out of my daily transport (Citroen Dyane 435cc) It was like driving a Roller!... Heated seats too! Happy days.
'96 Volvo 855 T5 auto
'97 Xantia Activa
'89 VW T25 Westfalia California
'89 VW LT Westfalia Florida
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

They certainly were comfy old bests Chris... And bruilliant heaters too!

The propshaft problem was a relic of the fact the car was designed for the Daf Variomatic transmission as manual ones had a transaxle driven by an engine-speed propshaft. The splines on the ends of the shaft used to wear and on mine they'd worn to nothing at all :evil:
Jim