xantia speedometer is not working

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Raul
My Cars:

xantia speedometer is not working

Post by Raul »

It is electrical, there is a switch on the gearbox. Could it be that a simple fuse somewhere has blown? I checked the haynes manual but at the first glance I did not find the electrical circuit for the speedo switch. Also I did not find which fuse could be responsible for speedometer operation.
Citroen gsa 1299 , 1982
Citroen gs 1,2 pallas 1977
Citroen xantia 1,9 td estate 1996
Citroen Xantia 2.0 hdi 90 2000
citronut
My Cars:

Re: xantia speedometer is not working

Post by citronut »

check the plug connector on the transducer, which is fitted were a speedo cable would normally fit on the top of the diff, just above were the O/S drave shaft goes into the diff/gear box
Regards, malcolm.

current ride a BX 1.7 TZD estate
1986 MK1 BX 1.9na D Auto(in Mothman Andy's stable )
layed up roppy 1.9TD XANT estate, now gone to meet her maker
purple and lilac metalic 2CV(VIOLET)registered to her in doors
1972 DS special been layed up aprox 31 years
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

Is the odometer still couting the miles? If so, then it is just a speedo head fault, if not then wiring and / or transducer suspect.
Richard W
Raul
My Cars:

Post by Raul »

Yesterday suddenly both speedo and odo started to read again but only for about 10 km. Then the speedo dropped to zero and odo stopped counting .Does it mean that the transducer is ok and there is a bad connection somwhere? I also unplugged and reconnected the switch from the transducer several times to make the connection better but it made no difference.
Also I would like to mention that this is my first hydropneumatic car and so far I like the ride( although an old toyota corolla is obviously not a very good reference point when it comes to comfort). I have changed all spheres except antisink and front strut stops( renovated ). One thing I would like to ask is about small speed bumps - going over them is not soft even driving slow. Is this normal as I initially thought that xantia should eat them for breakfast.
Citroen gsa 1299 , 1982
Citroen gs 1,2 pallas 1977
Citroen xantia 1,9 td estate 1996
Citroen Xantia 2.0 hdi 90 2000
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

I find that if I go over speed bumps at low speed they are more noticeable than at higher speeds (there are some near me, and 30mph is smoother then 20mph).
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
sparksie
(Donor 2016)
My Cars:

Post by sparksie »

I've been playing with mine.
There are some new metal speed bumps in an industrial estate near where SWMBO works.
They're just short of semicircular in section and about 9" wide, so they're very sharp to drive over.
I've found they produce a pronounced bang, regardless of speed, if encountered by both wheels on an axle at the same time.
However, if approached at an angle, the Xantia just gobbles them up at any speed, with no wobble or shake. The response is just like a pothole. The suspension just absorbs the undulation and keeps the car level.
With larger speed bumps, keeping the NS in the gutter where the gap between kerb and bump means the NS wheels have level ground, enables the OS to completely iron out the bump.
It seems the suspension will ready absorb quite massive anomalies on one wheel at a time. Two wheels, however, it treats as rising/falling ground and the car follows it faithfully.
By comparison, normally sprung cars pitch and yaw dramatically when either of these strategies is employed. I've managed to bump client's heads off their windows, on occasion :shock:
I have a route I follow to test/demonstrate suspensions, involving potholes, bumps, rumble strips and various different surfaces and the Xantia is uncanny on it. You have to try pretty hard to catch it out.
I dread to think what torment the ball joints and wheel bearings go through in the hands of people who are used to this and drive like that all the time!
Sparksie

2000 Xantia 1.9TurboD
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

Raul wrote:Yesterday suddenly both speedo and odo started to read again but only for about 10 km. Then the speedo dropped to zero and odo stopped counting .Does it mean that the transducer is ok
no no as Richard said this means its more likely to be the transducer or its co0nnector
Raul wrote: I also unplugged and reconnected the switch from the transducer several times to make the connection better but it made no difference.
are you sure you re/connected the plug fully as it can be quite tricky to get it to engage fully till it clicks/locks back into place,
Regards, malcolm.

current ride a BX 1.7 TZD estate
1986 MK1 BX 1.9na D Auto(in Mothman Andy's stable )
layed up roppy 1.9TD XANT estate, now gone to meet her maker
purple and lilac metalic 2CV(VIOLET)registered to her in doors
1972 DS special been layed up aprox 31 years