citroen c15, need help!

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Charliegrme

citroen c15, need help!

Post by Charliegrme »

I have just fitted a new cambelt on my citroen c15d 2001 plate, now the thing won't start, but when it does start after I give it throttle it runs really lumpy and when I let of the throttle the thing dies, any ideas people? possible pump timing is out half a tooth or so?
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Re: citroen c15, need help!

Post by RichardW »

Almost certainly the timing is out - re-check it!
Richard W
Charliegrme

Post by Charliegrme »

okay, I shall re time it all again, hopefully get it running sweet again
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

Sounds as though the pump is retarded by a tooth - easily done if you don't peg the crankshaft.

Peter
Charliegrme

Post by Charliegrme »

how would the pump retard if I had it pinned and the camshaft pinned, but not the crank, but had it all marked so I was certain, but not this has happened and I don't know why, but does seen like pump timing is out
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

It's easy done if you don't keep the belt tight when going round the pump. Is this an XUD or DW8? I did a few XUDs and used to find that it was difficult to get the pump on right. Get the Crank pinned as well - it's not as hard as it looks - and you should be OK.
Richard W
Charliegrme

Post by Charliegrme »

ahh that's ideal, I'll pin up the crank next time via flywheel I believe, the lock the pump down then hope il be ok:) cheers for the tip :)
Peter.N.
Moderating Team

Post by Peter.N. »

I have done this myself by not pinning the crank but only once I think, I have done a number of others with no problems, what happens is that the marks are lined up when you fit the belt but the crank moves when you tension it, you may find if you move the crank back slightly you will get it on the next tooth and it will come right when tensioned, do make sure to check the marks after you have tensioned it.

Peter
Charliegrme

Post by Charliegrme »

ok I shall try this and see what happens, thanks for the tips, is there a special location or mark on the flywheel to lock it up or do one of the pins just slot into one of the teeth on the flywheel?
Peter.N.
Moderating Team

Post by Peter.N. »

There is a hole in the backplate behind the starter but its not very easy to find, if you get a piece of wire coathanger and bend it into a starting handle shape (if you remember one of those) you can slide it along behind the starter and into the hole, then slowly rotate the flywheel until it drops in.

Peter
Charliegrme

Post by Charliegrme »

haha yes I remember, I have the correct locking tools for this engine, well I've got them on order, would it be easier to just remove the starter?
Stewart(oily)
My Cars: Citroens since 1990, BX Diesel, GTI, TZD with 1.9 TD running extra boost before it was fashionable!, ZX Volcane TD, S2 Xantia break 1.9TD, Xantia HDI 110, currently zipping about in a C2 Diesel. C2 died from the dreaded worm, C3 Picasso HDI Exclusive, the adventure continues.

Post by Stewart(oily) »

I used to end up removing the starter until I made my own version of the proper tool and became familiar with doing the job, the problem is usually a little slack in the front run of the belt.
BXs since 1993 built 1.9 TZD turbo, got a S2 Xantia estate, brilliant car! 2013, Xantia HDI LX 110 2000 new car with 122,000, l C2 HDI Rusty rocket, C3 Picasso HDI new to me.
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

you MUST install the belt from cam to pump to crank, and keeping it as taught as possible between these three sprockets,

all/any slack has got to be on the tenssioner side,

if the is a DW8 lump i find the belt almost needs shoe horning into place, they do seem to be very tight,

but the XUD is way easier/looser,

with the cam and pump locked off using three 8mm bolts, look at the crank sprocket straight on,

the rear face of the crank woodruff key should be in line with the front edge of the small raised square block,
which is on the end of the crank case just above the crank sprocket,

with the crank set in this way you might just need to rock the crank very slightly to engage the flywheel locking tool,

i use a long length of kunifer/3 1/6th copper brake pipe to form a crank locking tool,
this way if by the slightest chance you forget to remove it before cranking the engine, you can still yank it ooooot, ( how do i know ) :( :roll: :-D :wink:

absolutely no need for the proper locking kit, just three bolts and the length of brake pipe,

i always look up from underneath and behind the starter for the flywheel locking hole, with a torch or lead light, its just above the little web/ledge you will see looking up behind the starter
Regards, malcolm.

current ride a BX 1.7 TZD estate
1986 MK1 BX 1.9na D Auto(in Mothman Andy's stable )
layed up roppy 1.9TD XANT estate, now gone to meet her maker
purple and lilac metalic 2CV(VIOLET)registered to her in doors
1972 DS special been layed up aprox 31 years