xantia 1.9 td timing belt upper cover removal

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Raul
My Cars:

xantia 1.9 td timing belt upper cover removal

Post by Raul »

Hello

I need to change the front upper timing belt cover that was cracked probably during the last timing belt change and covered with a tape by previous owner, but it seems not so easy job as I initially thought. I have removed the upper bolt of the cover and slackened bottom bolt but there is no room to remove the cover, the hydraulic pump blocks easy removal. There is also no room to move this cover side way. Is it possible to remove this cover if I remove the upper engine mount? I already accidentaly broke the coolant T-junction while fiddling with the already broken cover, so obviously I am a litte bit disappointed in myself.
Citroen gsa 1299 , 1982
Citroen gs 1,2 pallas 1977
Citroen xantia 1,9 td estate 1996
Citroen Xantia 2.0 hdi 90 2000
Stewart(oily)
My Cars: Citroens since 1990, BX Diesel, GTI, TZD with 1.9 TD running extra boost before it was fashionable!, ZX Volcane TD, S2 Xantia break 1.9TD, Xantia HDI 110, currently zipping about in a C2 Diesel. C2 died from the dreaded worm, C3 Picasso HDI Exclusive, the adventure continues.

Re: xantia 1.9 td timing belt upper cover removal

Post by Stewart(oily) »

To get that top cover off you will need to remove THE bolt! its an 11mm one and it is on the rear of the cover in an almost impossible position, my record is 40 minutes to undo it :shock: even then with the top mount removed and the engine supported on a jack the top cover can be reluctant to come off, some of them are brittle and just snap, if yours is this type then consider getting hold of a more flexible one.
BXs since 1993 built 1.9 TZD turbo, got a S2 Xantia estate, brilliant car! 2013, Xantia HDI LX 110 2000 new car with 122,000, l C2 HDI Rusty rocket, C3 Picasso HDI new to me.
Raul
My Cars:

Post by Raul »

I mean the cover that is over the injection pump sprocket. I think I have to remove the engine mount to get that cover off.
Citroen gsa 1299 , 1982
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

The one with the 11mm bolt is the cam sprocket cover which is the top back. I believe Raul is trying to replace the fuel pump sprocket cover which is the top front.
Breaking that T junction is easily done, especially as the plastic gets so brittle with age.
As Stewart says, support the engine with a jack and remove the top engine mount "bridge" which should then give you enough room to remove the old cover whilst inventing new swear words.
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
Raul
My Cars:

Post by Raul »

I got it done but it was a nightmare. I honestly do not know how I got it fitted , luckily the second hand cover did not broke in the process. At first I used some wooden blocks and a jack to support the engine but after some time messing with the cover I ended up using hydraulic engine hoist to support the engine from the top as well. One question arised in case I have to do it again . If I remove the top engine mount bridge, there is a bottom rubber pad that supports the whole engine. Should this be removed also during the timing belt change? I tried to simply pull it off but it did not move . I had no time to give it a closer look.
Citroen gsa 1299 , 1982
Old-Guy
My Cars: 2011 Grand C4 Picasso VTR+ 1.6HDi in Kyanos Blue
1995 Xantia Estate SX 1.9TD in Vert Vega "The Green Lady" - now owned by XanTom
1998 Xantia 2.1 VXD Estate in Mauritius Blue - R.I.P. (terminal tin-worm)

Post by Old-Guy »

Short answer "NO".
IIRC, it is bonded to a stud that goes through the side member with a nut underneath.
2011 Grand C4 Picasso VTR+ 1.6HDi in Kyanos Blue
1995 Xantia Estate SX 1.9TD in Vert Vega "The Green Lady" - after 11 years now owned by XanTom
1998 Xantia 2.1 VXD Estate in Mauritius Blue - R.I.P. (terminal tin-worm)