Xantia Starting Issues - Immobiliser issues

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

twang

Xantia Starting Issues - Immobiliser issues

Post by twang »

Hi everyone,

I have a 2001 Diesel Citroen Xantia 2.0 HDI (110) and am having issues starting the thing. When working it would start first time, runs smoothly with no problems and is great. But a few times now it has struggled to start. The engine tries to start but is getting no fuel to it.

When I turn the ignition I do not hear the in-tank low pressure fuel pump whirr under the back seat. In the past this has shown no signs of failing or not working. So to me it seems the immobiliser has kicked in for some reason and cut off the pump from working. I have read about issues with the fuel cut off/inertia switch causing starting issues if faulty.

Do these normally knacker up?

I understand that it is this that cuts the power to the in tank pump so is easier to replace (if at fault) compared to the in-tank pump. I have removed it and it clicks when you press the button down.

If it is a problem with the fuel cut off switch can I just remove it? Or is it needed to create a circuit and if not there does that mean that the in tank fuel pump will not start. I notice that there is 3 pins in the coupling that connects to the inertia switch. Can these be bridged with a piece of fuse wire or anything to trick the car into thinking the switch is still there.

If it isn't the switch then I don't know what else could be the problem. The keys open the door and have previously started the car and been fine normally so think that the keys are fine. When I have got the car working in the past by (removing shunt fuse, pressing inertia switch, banging fuel tank) it starts OK, can drive it and then a few days later stops again.

Any assistance anyone can provide, or any pointers at what I can try next would be greatfully received.

Joe
Xantidote
My Cars:

Re: Xantia Starting Issues - Immobiliser issues

Post by Xantidote »

I'm not au fait with the 110, but if banging the fuel tank gets it going, then from what I've read on the Forum, the in-tank fuel pump would be a prime suspect. How do you know the in-tank pump is 100% OK?
Martin

1995 Xantia TDLX (deceased :( )
KennyW
Donor 2024
My Cars: Current Citroen's
C5 x7 2010
SWMBO C3 2012
Previous Citroen's
Xantia 2.0 90hp estate
Xantia 1.9 TD estate

Post by KennyW »

Hi Joe,

Suggest checking electrical supply to pump to if it is getting a feed and thereafter cleaning connections to pump and after that check pump itself.If you are not hearing the pump priming the system,it is likely something to do with the electrical supply or pump itself.

Plenty on the forum re this type of problem

Kenny
C5 x7 2.0 HDi 160 hp Estate exclusive, the newbie
Xantia 2.0 Hdi 90hp 1999 only 189,000 and rising!!!!!!! Moved on to a new home
C3 1.4 petrol (SWMBO)
Xantia TD 1.9 Mk 2 Estate LX 1998 model over 210,000 miles now and still rising!!!!!!!!!!!!! now deceased 17/12/2010.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Joe, the fact you mention banging the fuel tank (amongst other things) gets it going would have me laying quite a hefty wager on the in-tank pump if I were of a gambling disposition. It really is a very, very common problem. Has it been overly noisy recently?
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
twang

Post by twang »

Thanks for the quick replies guys!

I will check the pump if I can get the bloody rubber seal thing off :-)

What is making me think it is the immobiliser is when I get in the car and put the key in the ignition I turn the key and if I don't hear the whirr of the fuel tank I don't even try to turn the car over. When I take the key out I just get loads of bleeps from the console and that irritating Traffic Master kicks in. Sometimes trying to get into the car the alarm goes off. Other times it doesn't but when I press the key the alarm stops OK, so I assume the key is 'linked' to the car OK. The little key icon on the dash comes on for a millisecond or two when first putting key in but it doesn't stay on. If it stays on then I assume the key wouldn't be linked to car but it doesn't.

Xantidote I'm hoping it isn't the in-tank pump as don't want that expense of replacing it. I'm clutching at all the other straws I can :-)

I'll try and find time to tinker with it this week. If not then will have to try and get a mechanic to have a look at whether the pump getting any electricity and also locate a new fuel pump. Not an expense I had bargained for :-(
twang

Post by twang »

Hi CitroJim

The in-tank pump has been quite. No strange noises out of it at all. It would whirr for about 3 seconds and then I could start the car no problem. So it's gone from working to nothing :-(