Xantia MOT (DID it Pass or FAIL)

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

wrinklet1
My Cars:

Xantia MOT (DID it Pass or FAIL)

Post by wrinklet1 »

Hi all, Had my 1993 Xantia SXTD in for its MOT yesterday, took it for a thashy ride before the test to clear the exhaust pipes out, then onto the mot station, asked them to do the emmisions test first, but had to wait for a VW Camper van to have a re test due to a broken exhaust pipe. Van into position, engine ticking over, probe into exhaust pipe, rev engine....broooom, then again brooooommm.....then again....brooooooooommmmmm..dank dank dank dank....room filled with creamy smoke....yep, engine blown....OOOPS.
Pushed the VW off the test area, on with mine, probe fitted, broom....broom....brooooom......engine off, scratch of head by tester, I ask what the fail setting is, 3.00 for a Turbo diesel, my car came out with a 0.59 reading, original injectors, no additives to fuel, except the car has been run with a mixture of diesel and vegi oil for the last 6 months. Rest of the car was spot on,
PASSED with flying colours.....If you try vegi oil, make sure you dont have a Lucas injector pump, they dont like vegi oil.
Paul.
mbunting
My Cars:

Post by mbunting »

My first reading was 4.2
Backed off the smoke screw a little, and ran it with a few L of veggie oil ( off the public highway, of course ), and it then passed with 2.6 ( running on dino diesel ).
civvie
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: different types over the years.when younger
Peugeot 405 estate
xantia estste 1.9d
c5 2.2 hdi hatchback
Peugeot 3008 1.6 hdi
Hyundai tuscon

Post by civvie »

An little trick I have heard of but can't comment on it.
At the pump end where the throttle cable enters there is small metal clip that you can take the play up on the throttle cable, if this clip is moved extra play is added to the throttle, when the engine is revved up it won't go to full revs as the play in the cable will prevent this.
Might save an engine Hyperthetically of course.
shezads

Post by shezads »

Hi, I'am looking at running my zx td on vegi oil. How has your car been running in the winter? Are you using a blend of oil andf diesel?
My car has a bosch fuel pump, so should be fine. I wa planning on mixing 10% white spirit, with veg oil as this is apparantly ok.
Any info on your experiences would be appreciated.
Thanks.
mbunting
My Cars:

Post by mbunting »

If I were to run on veggie oil, I would expect to use 100% pure ( veg or sunflower ) without any problems, apart from a tell tale sign from the exhaust.
I would also expect the car to be quieter, smoother, and more economical.
davek-uk
My Cars:

Post by davek-uk »

Out of interest, how much veg oil can you add to normal diesel before you get any tell tale smells from the exhaust? It seems that a veg oil mix is a good idea for MoT time but I wouldn't like to tip them off that veg oil is being used.
mbunting
My Cars:

Post by mbunting »

Veg and Diesel don't mix in the tank. V.O is always the last in the tank to go through, so it's useful to put 1L in the tank, then when you start smelling like a chippy, you know you're really low on fuel !
Veg floats on the diesel.