Bit left over from Lucas injection pump reassembly

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Old-Guy
My Cars: 2011 Grand C4 Picasso VTR+ 1.6HDi in Kyanos Blue
1995 Xantia Estate SX 1.9TD in Vert Vega "The Green Lady" - now owned by XanTom
1998 Xantia 2.1 VXD Estate in Mauritius Blue - R.I.P. (terminal tin-worm)

Re: Bit left over from Lucas injection pump reassembly

Post by Old-Guy »

It's a very long time since I had a Lucas/CAV distributor pump in bits, and that would have been a different model, but it rings vague bells. Could it be the shuttle of a non-return valve? Axial port to distributor, radial port to injector opens into larger diameter when spring sitting on blind end is compressed by pump pressure allowing fuel to flow out?
2011 Grand C4 Picasso VTR+ 1.6HDi in Kyanos Blue
1995 Xantia Estate SX 1.9TD in Vert Vega "The Green Lady" - after 11 years now owned by XanTom
1998 Xantia 2.1 VXD Estate in Mauritius Blue - R.I.P. (terminal tin-worm)
red_dwarfers
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by red_dwarfers »

I think you may be on to something Malcolm, it may be a red pilchard. I've studied the exploded diagrams and can only see one of those shuttle parts, and there's one already in the bit that screws in between two of the outlets, the name escapes me.

I'll keep a note of your thoughts Guy just in case I still have problems with the pump. I've kept the shuttle in a safe place too.

After a good bit of rotating the shaft of the pump, I'm getting a decent shed length squirt of diesel from the outlets. There must have been some air trapped inside as a few days ago it was dribbling and squirting inconsistently.

Put the pump back on the car along with the Lucas injectors, bled the pipes and tried to start it...nothing. I took an injector out and stuck it in a glass jar with a rag on top, not a sausage!

Thought it could be two things, either I'm very unlucky and all the injectors are faulty or the pump isn't kicking out enough pressure. Thought it best to get the injectors tested first...verdict came back today and would you believe it, the full set of injectors are severely contaminated. I'm relived to be honest! I've been quoted just over £60/injector to refurb. I'm going to see about getting hold of a second hand set before I go handing any money over.
Kev

'19 C4 Cactus 130 Flair
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

red_dwarfers wrote:
I'll keep a note of your thoughts Guy just in case I still have problems with the pump. I've kept the shuttle in a safe place too.
not in the glove box by any chance young Kev :yikes: :dom: :missile: :bouncy: :hb: :eye: :juggle: :twisted: :-D :rofl2: :wink:
Regards, malcolm.

current ride a BX 1.7 TZD estate
1986 MK1 BX 1.9na D Auto(in Mothman Andy's stable )
layed up roppy 1.9TD XANT estate, now gone to meet her maker
purple and lilac metalic 2CV(VIOLET)registered to her in doors
1972 DS special been layed up aprox 31 years