C4: Crankshaft sensor

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

c4tobe

C4: Crankshaft sensor

Post by c4tobe »

have a Citroen C4, 1.4 Petrol, 2004.
Car turns off while driving, then it does not start. Not even with push starting.
Then after some random time (20 min to 1 hour) it starts again. The engine warning light is on, and the screen reads "Anti-pollution system faulty".

I took it to a mechanic shop, while checking with their diagnostic system, the car's on board computer showed a problem with the Crankshaft sensor.
Erasing the error memory, and starting the car again, same error appears (plus two more errors, but the mechanic guys said the main cause is the crankshaft sensor). The guy did not have the piece so, I should order it.

Any one had similar experience? How can I be sure that it is the SENSOR itself that is faulty? maybe the sensor is sensing that something is wrong and preventing the car to start?!

And, where is this sensor? Can I replace it my self?
I searched in the service.citroen.com website, to find the OEM number, and also see where it is located in the diagrams, but I did not find it there?!

Thanks
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Re: C4: Crankshaft sensor

Post by myglaren »

If the car stalls it will automatically throw up the crankshaft sensor fault, cutting out may do the same.
c4tobe

Post by c4tobe »

Hey myglaren, tnx for reply.

So you think it might be another thing causing the problem and not the sensor? Right?
How can i make sure that the crankshaft sensor is faulty and i should replace it? Any method to test it?
And can i replace it myself?
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

Symptoms definitely fit with crankshaft sensor - you would need to catch it when it wouldn't start to see if there was no signal from the sensor, but generally these are relatively cheap, and easy to replace, so a good place to start. Citroen UK price is about 25 GBP. Not sure of the exact details, but it should just be one bolt to undo, then disconnect - no calibration should be required, so almost certainly DIY-able.
Richard W
c4tobe

Post by c4tobe »

Thanks RichardW,

I did replaced the sensor, quite easy task, and the problem resolved [so far so good, at least].
Trivia: First I bought the cheapest part, fitted it, but it did not work! Turned out the resistance between two pins was different from what is should be (According to Auto Data software). I returned it and bought a Bosch sensor, it worked like a charm.

Just out of curiosity: The Bosch crankshaft sensor that I bought, comes with a yellow box, with Bosch label on it, but no hologram tape, and more strange is that nowhere on the piece itself there is an engraving of the "Bosch", there is just a serial number. Is it normal? Does it look like a counterfeit part or it is the way it is with Bosch parts?
DHallworth
Donor 2023
My Cars:

Post by DHallworth »

I bought one of these in February for my sisters 1.4 Peugeot 307. From memory I paid about 19 quid at the main dealer after haggling. Euro Car Parts have them also but they were the same price as the dealer after a little haggling.

They are easy to change and at that price they're worth changing as a first port of call before doing much else really.

My sisters car drove to Manchester Airport without problems, sat for two weeks and wouldn't start upon her return. It's only held on by two torx bolts and with the air filter housing remove (loosen one jubilee clip to remove the hose and pull the air box up) it's easily accessible. I used a 1/4" socket set with a torn bit in an extension and a ratchet. It's honestly no more then a 10 - 15 minute job to change it. If you're local to Glasgow I'm more then happy to help if you need.

David.
'98 Xantia Activa V6 :-D
'00 XM V6 Exclusive
'09 C5 2.7 HDi Exclusive
‘10 C5 3.0 HDi Exclusive
'12 C6 3.0 HDi Exclusive
'15 C4 BlueHDi Feel
DHallworth
Donor 2023
My Cars:

Post by DHallworth »

Edit: Just realised you've sorted it!

Fingers crossed it stays fixed!

David.
'98 Xantia Activa V6 :-D
'00 XM V6 Exclusive
'09 C5 2.7 HDi Exclusive
‘10 C5 3.0 HDi Exclusive
'12 C6 3.0 HDi Exclusive
'15 C4 BlueHDi Feel
c4tobe

Post by c4tobe »

DHallworth wrote:Edit: Just realised you've sorted it!

Fingers crossed it stays fixed!

David.
Thanks David, for your comment and offering of your help.
Yea, I did changed it, very easy as you mentioned.

Now it is about 3 weeks, working flawlessly.