Run flat tyres for C5 X7?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

vborovic
Locked user account
My Cars: A used Citroen

Re: Run flat tyres for C5 X7?

Post by vborovic »

qprdude wrote:Was there a question of "if it is fitted it has to work" or it's an M O T fail?
I'm not in your country, but I've looked on the net: http://www.theaa.com/motoring_advice/ca ... -2012.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"Tyre pressure monitoring systems fitted to vehicles first registered after 1 January 2012 must be working correctly and not indicating a malfunction."
osx
(Donor 2022)
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: GSA X
BX 1.6
C5 X7 Auto
C5 X7x2 Manual

Post by osx »

Registered before 2012 so does not apply anyway.
C5 X7 Exclusive 2.0 HDi Auto
C5 X7 Exclusive 2.0 HDi Manual
osx
(Donor 2022)
BX 1.6
C5 X7 Auto
C5 X7x2 Manual

Post by osx »

Has anyone heard of Sailun tyres? Recommended by a friend and the model is Atrezzo ZS+. Can get four tyres for the price of one Michelin! Had a look and they are B graded for wet which is really good. How reliable is this EU tyre labelling?
vborovic
Locked user account
My Cars: A used Citroen

Post by vborovic »

I've decided to go for a set of Uniroyal RainSport 3, solely on the EU tyre labeling (and price of course) .. so far so good ...
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

bobins
Donor 2023
My Cars: Kia Sportage
Mazda BT-50
Land Rover SIII SWB
V-F-R800
SL320
MX5

Post by bobins »

osx wrote:Had a look and they are B graded for wet which is really good. How reliable is this EU tyre labelling?
I have a feeling the wet weather grading is only for straight line grip and doesn't apply to any form of 'evasive' steering.
Sadly no longer a C5 owner :(
osx
(Donor 2022)
BX 1.6
C5 X7 Auto
C5 X7x2 Manual

Post by osx »

Can't tell the difference as I do mostly motorway miles. Don't think I will ever buy again expensive tyres.
qprdude
My Cars: Renault 5 TS, Renault 14ts, Citroen C5 Mk1, Renault Clio sport, Renault Laguna Privilege. Citroen C5 X7 Exclusive. Citroen DS5 D/sport . And around 25+ other brands from Morris Oxford to S Type jag and most things between.

Post by qprdude »

People will say you are more likely to need evasive braking on the Motorway than on urban roads, but it sometimes depends on your driving style. If you drive " over the end of the bonnet", you're probably going to have to do a bit of evasive braking at some point, but if you "get the big picture" and drive within your ability, within the ability of the equipment on the car and to the road conditions, you are probably safe enough on cheaper tyres.
Rick.

2013 Citroen DS 5 D/Sport
2007 Renault Clio Campus sport. 1.2l

Sometimes the change doesn't work.
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

I'm due some tyres and might just give them a shot. Fitters all over the country: Easywheels
osx
(Donor 2022)
BX 1.6
C5 X7 Auto
C5 X7x2 Manual

Post by osx »

Good link and competitive price.
SwissSPEC
My Cars:

Post by SwissSPEC »

Waste of time fitting runflats on a hydraulic suspenion equipped car, the reason why they are safer is on a steel sprung vehicle if you have a blow out there is a risk you'll lose control as the suspension isn't self levelling, which of course isn't relevant for a hydraulic suspenion car ;) The only issue i could see which would affect safety, if you don't have TPMS & your tyre went flat, it wouldn't probably be noticeable on hydraulic suspension & therefore if you continued driving at more than the recommended speed, it could potentially disintegrate with rubber chunks damaging your car as it would then have a catastrophic failure due to overheating. Save your money, by all means fit them to a steel sprung car, they were designed for them. I can also confirm they aren't as comfortable to drive on as they sidewalls are very stiff, infact its very difficult to detect when they are low on pressure without a TPMS system fitted. I know this from personal experience on a BMW Mini.
CX GTI 2 Turbo (LHD) - Sorn
Bx Gti 16v
BX TZD Turbo - Sorn
C5 Mk1 LX 2.0HDi Estate
Mini Cooper D Clubman
Miguel

Post by Miguel »

SwissSPEC wrote:Waste of time fitting runflats on a hydraulic suspenion equipped car, the reason why they are safer is on a steel sprung vehicle if you have a blow out there is a risk you'll lose control as the suspension isn't self levelling, which of course isn't relevant for a hydraulic suspenion car ;)
Have you tried to do a corner in a Xantia with a punctured rear tire at a normal driving speed? I think not, as you will not say it isn't relevant...
sparksie
(Donor 2016)
My Cars:

Post by sparksie »

Miguel wrote:
SwissSPEC wrote:Waste of time fitting runflats on a hydraulic suspenion equipped car, the reason why they are safer is on a steel sprung vehicle if you have a blow out there is a risk you'll lose control as the suspension isn't self levelling, which of course isn't relevant for a hydraulic suspenion car ;)
Have you tried to do a corner in a Xantia with a punctured rear tire at a normal driving speed? I think not, as you will not say it isn't relevant...
Thank you, Miguel.

I nearly choked on my breakfast when I read that. Thank God somebody sensible replied to it before me, or I might have disgraced myself!
No amount of clever engineering will ever replace having a tyre that grips the road properly.
No deflated standard tyre can ever grip the road properly, especially when it parts company with the wheel rim.
Xantias do not run on fairy dust, any more than smarties cure cancer!
Sorry to burst your bubble SwissSPEC, but a flat tyre is just as big a deal on a liquid suspended car as on any other and must be changed immediately.
Not to do so is negligent and endangers both yourself and others around you and quite rightly carries legal penalties in most countries!
Sparksie

2000 Xantia 1.9TurboD
qprdude
My Cars: Renault 5 TS, Renault 14ts, Citroen C5 Mk1, Renault Clio sport, Renault Laguna Privilege. Citroen C5 X7 Exclusive. Citroen DS5 D/sport . And around 25+ other brands from Morris Oxford to S Type jag and most things between.

Post by qprdude »

sparksie wrote:
Miguel wrote:
Thank you, Miguel.

I nearly choked on my breakfast when I read that. Thank God somebody sensible replied to it before me, or I might have disgraced myself!
No amount of clever engineering will ever replace having a tyre that grips the road properly.
No deflated standard tyre can ever grip the road properly, especially when it parts company with the wheel rim.
Xantias do not run on fairy dust, any more than smarties cure cancer!
Sorry to burst your bubble SwissSPEC, but a flat tyre is just as big a deal on a liquid suspended car as on any other and must be changed immediately.
Not to do so is negligent and endangers both yourself and others around you and quite rightly carries legal penalties in most countries!
You shouldn't have been having breakfast at 10.00am
Rick.

2013 Citroen DS 5 D/Sport
2007 Renault Clio Campus sport. 1.2l

Sometimes the change doesn't work.
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

I was having brunch at about 11:30, as I had to have a GTT blood test, which meant nothing to eat for 12 hours.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!