Synergie XUD top engine mount (part number)

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Ianhw77k
My Cars:

Synergie XUD top engine mount (part number)

Post by Ianhw77k »

I seem to be having trouble locating a top engine mount for my Synergie. There are lots of the rear, underneath mounts that go on around the driveshaft but none for the top one. They look very similar so one of my questions is, are they the same part?
It's the round rubber bush that's gone, I've included a couple of pictures to show you where it is. Also, is it a press fit? I have limited tools at my disposal so pressing the bush into the housing could prove difficult. Any tips on doing this job would be most welcome.

Thanks in advance.
Ian

1995 Citroen Synergie 1.9TD (Mine)
2001 Citroen Xsara Picasso 2.0HDI (The wife's)
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Re: Synergie XUD top engine mount (part number)

Post by RichardW »

The bush is available separately, and apparently still available from Citroen:

Part Number Description Quantity Price excl. VAT Price incl. VAT Total incl. VAT Selection
0000180916 FLEXIBLE BUSH 22.11 GBP 26.53 GBP 26.53 GBP

The bottom one is a different part no - helpfully, they give the size for the bottom one, but not the top one! I imagine it will be a press fit, so getting it in and out without a press might be tough.

It appears to be the same bush as on the top mount on a Xantia 2.1 TD or HDI 110. It's also the same as the bottom (driveshaft) bush as a BX / C15 Diesel which might be easier to search for (eg this one
Richard W
Ianhw77k
My Cars:

Post by Ianhw77k »

Well, according to that link it is the same size as the bottom one. My guess is that either would fit but I notice on that one it says "steel elastomer" whereas some of the others I've been looking at just say "rubber bush". Maybe for that price I should just take a punt and see how it goes.

I've got a couple of tricks to try before looking for someone with a press, I just need to make sure the wife is out of the way when I put the aluminium part in the oven :shock:

Thanks for the help, this forum really can't be beaten 8-)
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

No, the Synergie uses a different bottom mount, it just happens that the Synergie top one is the same as the BX bottom one....

You should be able to remove the old one by cutting the rubber out, the cutting down through the steel outer ring. New should pull in OK with a bit of threaded bar, and a couple of bits of flat bar to pull with. Especially if you heat the mount up when SWMBO is out :-D
Richard W
Old-Guy
My Cars: 2011 Grand C4 Picasso VTR+ 1.6HDi in Kyanos Blue
1995 Xantia Estate SX 1.9TD in Vert Vega "The Green Lady" - now owned by XanTom
1998 Xantia 2.1 VXD Estate in Mauritius Blue - R.I.P. (terminal tin-worm)

Post by Old-Guy »

RichardW wrote:No, the Synergie uses a different bottom mount, it just happens that the Synergie top one is the same as the BX bottom one....
The design engineer got lucky when checking the parts database for an existing rubber bush of suitable dimensions and characteristics. No tooling or supplier selection costs and the increased volume on the existing (spares only) part meant extra profit - win! win! win! with extra brownie points from the bean counters.
2011 Grand C4 Picasso VTR+ 1.6HDi in Kyanos Blue
1995 Xantia Estate SX 1.9TD in Vert Vega "The Green Lady" - after 11 years now owned by XanTom
1998 Xantia 2.1 VXD Estate in Mauritius Blue - R.I.P. (terminal tin-worm)
Ianhw77k
My Cars:

Post by Ianhw77k »

I'd like to know what the difference is between the two parts. They do look the same and according to dimensions given, are the same size :?
kenhall1202
My Cars: '05 C4 2.0HDI Exclusive
'07 Lexus RX400h
Past:
'73 GS 1220 Club Estate (a good intro to hydraulics and rust)
'74 DS D Super 5 (Superb comfort and even more rust)
'?? Dyane (fun + rust)
'?? CX 2400 GTI (served me well)
'89 CX Safari 2.5 DTR turbo (aka "the hearse" an excellent family load lugger)
'97 XM 2.1TD (Reliable and economical)

Post by kenhall1202 »

180916 (top mount) and 180921 (bottom mount) are apparently identical at first glance, however the significant difference lies in the hardness of the rubbers used. The bottom mount has much harder rubber than the top one. I found this out the hard way on my XM 2.1TD when I replaced a perished top mount with an 180921 type - the result was severe vibration transmitted to the dash / fascia area. ebay sellers will tell you that the same mount can be used in both locations - NOT TRUE!!
Ken Hall
Ianhw77k
My Cars:

Post by Ianhw77k »

Good to know, thanks Ken :)
Ianhw77k
My Cars:

Post by Ianhw77k »

A little update on this job.

I finally got around to doing this today, I ordered the part from the link that was posted above and I think it is the right part.

A couple of pointers for anyone attempting this job themselves. Firstly, you WILL need a press! I tried heating the surround and freezing the bush hoping that would be enough but it is very far from it. After repeatedly trying to use my vice and club hammer to "press" the bush in I had to admit defeat at around the half way point. I still don't know if my vice will ever be the same again though :(
After that I took it round my dad's place where he has a bigger vice and a better blowtorch. Sadly it just wouldn't budge so he called a mate who has a small, 12tonne press and we went round there. Having the proper tools meant the job was done in minutes!

Also, I'm not sure how much difference it makes but I was told that I should have fitted this so the webs in the rubber are at the same orientation as the old ones were, mine are about 30degrees out.

I'm getting a little vibration through the steering wheel but this only happens at tickover, once you get going she's smooth as silk and that horrible squeaking has gone now as well.

All in all I'm a happy bunny, a little disappointed at the vibration on tickover but I think that will fade as the rubber beds in and it's not as if it's shaking the car to pieces.

Thanks to everyone who helped me locate this part, I couldn't have done it without you :)