rear pad change with electronic hand brake

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

jldavies137

rear pad change with electronic hand brake

Post by jldavies137 »

Hi all. I am new to the site so sorry if this has been covered elsewhere. Is it possible for the home mechanic to swap the rear pads on a 2009 c5 with the electronic hand brake.i have a right and left handed rewind kit.ceratec grease etc . Is it as straight forward as on other cars or is the hand brake going to be a problem.
Many thanks in advance
Jim
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Re: rear pad change with electronic hand brake

Post by RichardW »

Hi Jim

Not 100% sure on the arrangement of the C5 rear brakes, but I think it's the same as the C4 Picasso - ie central unit with cables? In which case, yes, you should be able to DIY. Just set the handbrake to not come on automatically via the menu, then proceed as normal with the pad change, unhooking the cables as required, and winding the pistons back. Once you have finished reconnect the cables, gently press the brake pedal a few times to re-seat the pads, then take if for a run to bed the pads a bit before trying to re-apply the handbrake.
Richard W
qprdude
My Cars: Renault 5 TS, Renault 14ts, Citroen C5 Mk1, Renault Clio sport, Renault Laguna Privilege. Citroen C5 X7 Exclusive. Citroen DS5 D/sport . And around 25+ other brands from Morris Oxford to S Type jag and most things between.

Post by qprdude »

Isn't the handbrake just as normal at the wheels, but activated by an electric motor instead of a lever? Not too sure, but there is a way of releasing the handbrake manually in the handbook .
Rick.

2013 Citroen DS 5 D/Sport
2007 Renault Clio Campus sport. 1.2l

Sometimes the change doesn't work.
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

Similar Rick - they do use a different caliper, but the principal is the same. On our C4GP you can go in via the configuration menu and turn off the auto handbrake function so that it doesn't apply it when you switch off - this allows a pad change. If no option like this on C5, then you will need a Lexia to put it into service mode to allow the pad change.
Richard W
qprdude
My Cars: Renault 5 TS, Renault 14ts, Citroen C5 Mk1, Renault Clio sport, Renault Laguna Privilege. Citroen C5 X7 Exclusive. Citroen DS5 D/sport . And around 25+ other brands from Morris Oxford to S Type jag and most things between.

Post by qprdude »

Yes, you can deactivate the automatic electronic brace in Main menu in the instrument panel, select - Vehicle parameters - comfort - automatic parking brake. Then you have to operate the brake manually.
They recommend manual for towing and (recovery/caravans,) and cold (icy) weather.
Rick.

myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Isn't the handbrake on the front wheels?
qprdude

Post by qprdude »

On the rears on the X7 (just for a change!)
Rick.

Alangale
My Cars: Currently - C5 tourer 2013.
Around 1990...F Reg BX 1.6 petrol!
Numerous 309's over the years
2009 Peugeot 308 Hdi. 120k miles in a few years. Great car.

Post by Alangale »

Hello,
I have managed to disengage the electronic handbrake on my 2013 C5 tourer by having ignition on, pressing brake pedal and flicking hand brake switch. So I should be able to change the pads? Do I need diagnostic tool to reset/recalibrate the electronic handbrake? Happy to give it a shot but don't want to have expensive electronic repair! Grateful of any advice.
Otherwise the Tourer is Fab!!!!!!!!
Thank you
Alan
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Alangale wrote:Hello,
I have managed to disengage the electronic handbrake on my 2013 C5 tourer by having ignition on, pressing brake pedal and flicking hand brake switch. So I should be able to change the pads? Do I need diagnostic tool to reset/recalibrate the electronic handbrake? Happy to give it a shot but don't want to have expensive electronic repair! Grateful of any advice.
Otherwise the Tourer is Fab!!!!!!!!
Thank you
Alan
Alan - the electronic handbrake can be deactivated using the Lexia - to ensure that it does not come on whilst undertaking the procedure. Once you have replaced the pads, apply gentle, then gradual pressure to the footbrake. If all is well, then the electronic handbrake calibration procedure should be applied and this is shown on the diagnostic screen. If you want the procedure, post or PM me your VIN to ensure the procedure relates to the correct calipers or your specific vehicle.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc