Changing Rack & Pinon

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

lazza
My Cars:

Changing Rack & Pinon

Post by lazza »

Hi Forum

I'm going to replace the rack and pinion for my Xantia. I've removed the lower front subframe to ease the task. By the way, what a nightmare- it's connected to everything.. took me all day!

Anyway I've been having problems for some time with the steering, knocking noises when I turn left and right from dead centre... and the diagnosis of the peugeot garage was a worn rack. The reason why I havent delayed any more is I saw some LHM fluid leading from the pinion cap and one of the fluid return pipes. Not sure what might have caused this and whether it's related to the worn rack ??? Any thoughts appreciated

Anyway, I plan to change the rack and while I'm at it fix the leaks. As I have to get the rack and pinion from the breakers.. my question is What models of Xantia have the same rack as my 1996 1.9TD Xantia ??

Cheers
Larry
(1996 Citroen Xantia 1.9TD LX with aircon)
Living in exile in Spain
Running on 100% veggie in summer
rory_perrett
My Cars: Xantia Exclusive 110Hdi Estate 1999

Re: Changing Rack & Pinon

Post by rory_perrett »

Larry

There are a number of different part numbers for Xantia racks depending on model and year.

First of all there are 2 different sizes of track rods 18mm and 22mm dia with the smaller ones being on the earlier lower powered cars. This means that there are 2 different sorts of track rod ends (different thread size) to match up with the track rods.

However, the track rods appear to be interchangeable in that I ended up with an 18mm dia on one side and a 22mm dia on the other.

I also think that a number of racks are interchangible, I had no problem fitting a rack off a Series 1 1.8i petrol car to my Series 2 2.1td.

The Series 1 has 18mm dia track rods, later on the garage replaced the track rod and track rod end on one side for me. I guess they ordered the parts for a 2.1td which was the car they had infront of them which are 22mm dia and just fitted them - hence why I ended up with a car with 2 different sized track rods on it.

If you let me know your RP or vin number I can have a more comprehensive look but at first glace I suspect most if not all racks will fit.

As you say a fun job, done it twice now and must confess I didn't drop the subframe to do it.
lazza
My Cars:

Post by lazza »

Hi

Having removed the rack and pinion, i'm not convinced either have a problem. They look in perfect nick to me and I can see nothing awry in the mechanisms.

Here are the photos. How does my rack an pinion look to the forum??

Living in exile in Spain
rory_perrett

Post by rory_perrett »

Larry

Well from the photos they look pretty good to me. You mentioned a knock but was there any discernable play.
With an impeding MOT on Tuesday I'm now chasing a knock somwhere in the steering system that had appeared since I sorted my mystery LHM leak.
Nothing obvious at ball joints, track rods or trackrod ends. Some play in the rack but not a lot (we will have to see what Mr MOT man thinks).
Two things I'm going look at next are the UJ on the steering shaft and the front struts. I usually keep my UJ well lubricated/covered with spray grease but I have sprayed that much degreaser around the engine bay and spent so long pressure washing everything to find my leak that there's no grease or oil anywhere.
Might be joining you in a rack change after Tues!!
lazza
My Cars:

Post by lazza »

HI Thanks for the reply- funny that Citrojim hasnt replied, is he still around?- he always had the magic answers :)

I didnt feel much play to be honest, which is why it's perplexing me.

The only things that occurs to me is:

A) Failure in the pinion fluid flow, causing jolts whilst steering. This would be consistent with the leaks that then started to appear in the return pipe union and at the cap of the pinion. So I was considering changing the two corresponding parts: 1. The seal of the pinion cap. 2. The return pipe and union.
However, I have no idea if I will be able to get hold of this special seal somewhere??

B) The power steering piston is faulty, giving erratic fluid flow and hence the jolts/knocking- this was replaced about 3 years ago, so I think it's unlikely... but possible... any thoughts?

Cheers
Larry
Living in exile in Spain
KennyW
Donor 2024
My Cars: Current Citroen's
C5 x7 2010
SWMBO C3 2012
Previous Citroen's
Xantia 2.0 90hp estate
Xantia 1.9 TD estate

Post by KennyW »

Larry,

Worth checking your UJ for play as I had that problem.

Kenny
C5 x7 2.0 HDi 160 hp Estate exclusive, the newbie
Xantia 2.0 Hdi 90hp 1999 only 189,000 and rising!!!!!!! Moved on to a new home
C3 1.4 petrol (SWMBO)
Xantia TD 1.9 Mk 2 Estate LX 1998 model over 210,000 miles now and still rising!!!!!!!!!!!!! now deceased 17/12/2010.
xantos
My Cars: Xantia 1.9TD Break non-hydractive (1999)
Xantia 3.0 V6 Activa (1998)
C4 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mk2 (2010)

Post by xantos »

This might help:
http://www.mars.dti.ne.jp/~ynar/bxorg_a ... /m23e.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I used this guide to repair mine. I ordered part num: 4048 Q8 at Citroen dealer. About 20 eur if I remember right...

This might help also:
http://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/v ... =3&t=26801" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Xantia Break 1.9TD (jammed b****!)
Xantia Activa 2.0 TCT + LPG (1998) (peeing b****!) RIP
Xantia Activa 2.0 TCT (1998) (burnt b****!)
Xantia Activa 3.0 V6 (1998) (not a b****! yet :-D )
C4 Exclusive 2.0 HDi (gear shifting b****!)
rory_perrett

Post by rory_perrett »

This could eb what you need http://steeringseals.com/xantia.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
rory_perrett

Post by rory_perrett »

Just back from MOT on my Xantia. Tester noticed the roughness in the steering. I suggested it was the UJ that had had the grease washed out of it. Good blast of the spray grease seems to have cured the problem.