Berlingo 2.0Hdi fuel pressure problem

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Element
My Cars: 2004 Partner 2.0 Hdi

Marlin Roadster 2.0 TC

Berlingo 2.0Hdi fuel pressure problem

Post by Element »

Hello folks, I have a Berlingo 2.0 hdi, 2005 model with a fuel problem…

The saga started about 6 weeks back when I got limp mode. I have Torque Pro on my phone and through a Bluetooth OBD device I could read the codes; P1198 & P0087. It has a Seimens HP fuel pump, Bosch rail and the big fuel filter housing with the green connector wiring on the front top. I changed the fuel filter, primed the system but it didn’t start, figured there was still a bit of air somewhere, gave it a squirt of ‘sure start’ into the air filter and then it started. Drove 100yds down the road & the engine light lit up again on the dash & it went back into limp mode.
Couldn’t do anymore – lack of time, just put up with limp mode for a week or so – then it just cleared and went back to normal, no light, no problem… Until a few days ago when limp mode returned with the engine light – but this time shortly afterwards it just died in the middle of town. Managed to get it towed home and today had another gander…

It completely refuses to start, engine light on and it gives me the same codes; P1198 & P0087. I spotted a tiny air bubble in the clear plastic fuel pipe that goes from the fuel filter to the HP pump and figured there must be an air leak into the system somewhere (maybe I didn’t tighten the ‘top ring’ of the fuel filter tight enough last time).. Just to be sure, I changed the fuel filter again but while I did so – I noticed the tiny shiny fragments (metal?) in the bottom of the fuel filter housing which I’d read about in various places as being an indicator of the low pressure pump in the fuel tank dying. However – I’d also read that there is usually a noise of the low pressure pump too when its dying – yet mine is silent. TBH I don't think I have ever heard any noise from this pump, if it is there.
New filter in and top ring as tight as I can do it (mallet & big screwdriver method as used many times before) then began squeezing the priming bulb and tried to get the air through… turning over & using sure start and again squeezing the bulb again and again. It doesn’t want to start at all.
However – if I leave it for a minute then try squeezing the priming bulb again I find it has relaxed as though there is little pressure (not firm like I leave after squeezing a few times).
So, my Haynes manual says on cars fitted with a 2.0 engine and a Seimens HP pump, there is no ‘in tank pump’… Without investigating further, I find that hard to believe – but therefore raise my first question. .. Do Seimens HP pump 2.0 hdi’s have a rear in tank pump? If not, I can’t explain the shiny fragments in the bottom of the fuel filter housing… I am thinking there is no ‘back pressure’ in the system from the filter housing to the tank.
It could be the fuel pressure regulator, it could be the fuel filter housing itself (I’ve read of folks that changed the whole thing after finding the metal fragments in conjunction with changing the LP fuel pump), it could be the LP fuel pump (if there is one), it could be the HP pump but when I was turning it over, I watched air bubbles being drawn into the HP pump through the clear plastic fuel pipe that goes from the fuel filter to the HP pump; if the HP pump was faulty – would it still pull fuel?
What would you do next in sequence to diagnose the problem and get it right again?

As I use the car for work I’d really appreciate your experience and advice to get me back running again!
Peugeot Partner, 2.0 Hdi, 2004
Perthshire
citroenxm
My Cars: M reg Xm S2 2.1td Auto Exclusive. 269k and rising
L reg XM S1 V6 12v Manual SEi
L 94 XM 2.1 TD auto total resto

2008 Peugeot 207 Sw 1.6 16v hdi. 217k and rising
2010 Peugeot 207 SW 1.6 8v HDi 161k and rising

Re: Berlingo 2.0Hdi fuel pressure problem

Post by citroenxm »

Siemans Fuel pumps are NOT useually accompanied by an intank pump as the fuel pump is built into the Engine Fuel pump.

However, metal particles is useually a sign of a Pump break down. So sounds like the Engine mounted pump is breaking down.

So replacment could be in order. Ive little to NO experiance of the Siemans pumps, as the Xantia 2.0 HDis were all fitted with the Bosch Pumps and Fuel tank lift pump.
Sharing a pug 207 1.6 hdi Sw 16v.
M reg Xm 2.1 td auto exclusive S2 269k and rising
L reg XM V6 12v SEi auto .. Light project

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
Element

Marlin Roadster 2.0 TC

Post by Element »

The metallic particles can only have come from an area of the system prior to the fuel filter; the engine mounted HP pump is upstream of the filter so they can't have come from there. I think I'll dig into the fuel tank and see what's what as I'd be surprised if the HP pump could 'suck' fuel from the fuel tank and then through the filter before pressurizing it for the rail. I only wish I could have easy access to the FP regulator as I am led to believe there is a micro filter on it which might be the whole source of my trouble...
Perthshire
citroenxm
My Cars: M reg Xm S2 2.1td Auto Exclusive. 269k and rising
L reg XM S1 V6 12v Manual SEi
L 94 XM 2.1 TD auto total resto

2008 Peugeot 207 Sw 1.6 16v hdi. 217k and rising
2010 Peugeot 207 SW 1.6 8v HDi 161k and rising

Post by citroenxm »

Doh... junior moment there.. of course.. not thinking straight THOUGH thinking about it isnt there a pump overflow return through filter for excessivly supplied fuel as the pump is constantly pumping but the rail and injectors only use what it needs???
Sharing a pug 207 1.6 hdi Sw 16v.
M reg Xm 2.1 td auto exclusive S2 269k and rising
L reg XM V6 12v SEi auto .. Light project

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
Element

Marlin Roadster 2.0 TC

Post by Element »

There is - but the oversupplied fuel is fed back to the tank and doesn't go into the filter; found a pic of my set up; exactly like this:

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-Wm_H ... /dfilt.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It might be that the HP pump IS on its way out and no longer produces sufficient bar pressure to the rail so the ecu gives nothing to the injectors hence it doesn't start. I guess without the right equipment I'd have little option but to deliver it to my local garage if that is the only scenario I'm left with :roll:
Perthshire
Lighty
My Cars:

Post by Lighty »

If the car has a pump bulb under the bonnet, then it definitely is Siemens, and it has no in tank electric primer.
I know you could not get exchange Siemens HP pumps either, so it was new or used only , not sure if that situation has changed, new are very pricey.
http://www.marklightfootltd.co.uk
Dacia Duster 1.5 dci
Renault Twizy Technic
Citroen C15
Citroen Ami
Element

Marlin Roadster 2.0 TC

Post by Element »

Lighty wrote:I know you could not get exchange Siemens HP pumps either, so it was new or used only , not sure if that situation has changed, new are very pricey.
That will bitterly disappoint me! I'll have to start looking asap just in case.
Perthshire
Element

Marlin Roadster 2.0 TC

Post by Element »

I have found a few reconditioned Seimens pumps available, even with 12mth warranty so all is not lost... yet!
Perthshire
Lighty
My Cars:

Post by Lighty »

Great news :)
http://www.marklightfootltd.co.uk
Dacia Duster 1.5 dci
Renault Twizy Technic
Citroen C15
Citroen Ami
lexi
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by lexi »

That avatar is a cracker Element !!
Citroen C5 1.6 HDI 110bhp Estate 06 plate

French Mistresses gone.
Citroen C5 HDI Mk 1 hatchback
Vel Satis 3.5 v6
ZX 1.9D Est.
ZX 1.9DHatch
Xantia 1.9td est.
Xantia 2.0 hdi Est.
Xantia V6 MK1
Xantia V6 MK 2
Element

Marlin Roadster 2.0 TC

Post by Element »

Yes... it fits my lifestyle :lol:
Perthshire
Element

Marlin Roadster 2.0 TC

Post by Element »

Local garage says it is the HP pump... :roll: I've just bought a new one for £304 - it was either that or a recon one for £325 (with £75 refund when they'd get my old one). I think I got a good deal..
Perthshire