which bush?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

froggy
Donor 2023
My Cars: S2 Xantia Forte 185435.
Peugeot 306 Meridian, the boss.

which bush?

Post by froggy »

Hi, can anyone tell what this bush is called? I need to replace both of them. do I need to replace the bolts and locking nuts ? cheers Terry.
Terry
Xantia TD lx series1 SORN
Peugeot 306 meridian [ the boss]
Xantia HDI Forte 1997 CC
c.morewood
Donor 2023
My Cars: '00 Xantia 110 bhp Hdi SX Estate 65K "W"
'99 Xantia 110 bhp Hdi SX Estate 310K SORN "V"
'98 Xantia 1.9TD SX Estate 150K Sold "T"

Re: which bush?

Post by c.morewood »

Thats the rear wishbone p bush. Don't buy cheapies, they'll fail very quickly.
Check out this thread.
http://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/v ... =3&t=39357" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Chris
Tesla Model 3 LR DM AWD Blue White
'00 Xant 110HdiSX Est 83K "W"
'99 Xant 110HdiSX Est 320K "V"
'98 Xant 1.9TDSX Est 150K "T"
'97 Xant 1.9TD 20k Est
'94 Fiat TipoTd 40K

'85 BMW K100RT 330K Garaged 26yrs '80 Honda CB250 twin Superdream
sparksie
(Donor 2016)
My Cars:

Post by sparksie »

Hi
In the foreground is the "P" bush we've been discussing a lot over the last couple of weeks.
Behind it is the Anti Roll Bar "D" bush.
The "P" bush looks well shot.
I got QH bushes, but I found, on closer inspection, they'd sent me two NS ones, even though the packaging bore the correct part no.s.
It turned out their entire stock of OS bushes were actually mislabelled NS ones.
I eventually got a FEBI one.
Fitting the bush is relatively straightforward, but you do need to make sure it goes on to the arm in the correct position.
They have a perverse tendency to move out of alignment as you drive them on to the arm, especially as they go the last 3mm onto the seat.
Neither of mine is actually right, though they're not far off.
Somebody (Danny?) posted a link to complete suspension arms, for not much more than the cost of the new bushings, on ebay.
Had I known about them before I started, I'd have bought them. Swapping arms is childs play, apart from the bottom ball joint, which can be seriously tight!
Sparksie

2000 Xantia 1.9TurboD
sparksie
(Donor 2016)
My Cars:

Post by sparksie »

Found Danny's thread...
Check this out:
http://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/v ... 4&start=30" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Sparksie

2000 Xantia 1.9TurboD
froggy
Donor 2023
My Cars: S2 Xantia Forte 185435.
Peugeot 306 Meridian, the boss.

Post by froggy »

When replacing "P bushes" is it a good idea to de pressurise the system ?, cheers Terry
Terry
Xantia TD lx series1 SORN
Peugeot 306 meridian [ the boss]
Xantia HDI Forte 1997 CC
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

froggy wrote:When replacing "P bushes" is it a good idea to de pressurise the system ?,
Yes, otherwise it make a bit of a fun job of separating the hub from the wishbone at the swivels.

Be careful with the splitter tool you use on the swivels that you don't puncture the rubber boot.

As Sparksie says, alignment is critical. I keep a pair of old wishbones for templates but if you look at the 'ears' of the old bush you'll see they line up with a casting flash line on the wishbone and this can act as a very good alignment reference.

Misaligned bushes will last even shorter than a cheapie - which I can attest to last no time at all.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...